Burning questions for a published/self-published author

hyperchord24

Registered
Reaction score
Tell me all about how you made your dream a reality. I'm finally taking this shit seriously and moving to publish my finished novel and finish an unfinished work. I would love it if I could talk by phone, I find that I get a real sense of passion when I hear the words. It shouldn't take too long, but imagine you were once in my shoes, looking to be taken seriously, waiting, working, failing until your big break came along. Please reach out. Thanks for reading

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
This is a *really* broad question, particularly because you don't seem to have decided if you're pursuing trade publishing or self-publishing yet.

I'd recommend you have a read of this board (and utilise Google) to get more familiar with the writing industry and available career paths, and then try to narrow down what your next step is. Take it one step at a time, don't try to absorb everything in one go.

hyperchord24

Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of why I want to talk to these people. I've done years of research on both forms of publishing and would just like to talk to someone who is where I want to be. Living their dream. This cannot be done doing internet research

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's worth bearing in mind that there are a lot of "dreams" and goals. One person's model of success may not match what you hope for. For example, a lot of people may dream of quitting their day jobs and writing novels full-time, but I think most of our published members still have careers/jobs beside writing, some of them out of preference. Some people on here take writing very seriously as a career and others see it more as a hobby. Some aim more for commercial viability while others write whatever inspires them. Some self-publish. Some people write in small niches. There are a ton of different paths you can take as a writer, and the best dream is the one that works for you. That doesn't mean it's not valuable and interesting to talk to people who are on a totally different path than you, but "living the dream" can mean almost anything.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, asking a bunch of strangers to phone you up and chat is likely a low-ROI request. I wouldn't want to overgeneralize, but there is a tendency for writers to be more introverted (or at least less gregarious) than average. Personally, I detest talking on the phone, and will only do it for quick transfer of information. I know from conversations that there are at least a few other people on this forum who feel the same.

Dona St Columb

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I get why you want to actually *talk* to people, and hear their experiences from the horse's mouth so to speak, but I think you're highly unlikely to get any (positive) responses to a request to talk to strangers on the telephone.

Have you tried catching any of your favourite authors- or authors who inspire you/your work, on book tours or at signings? Or at events/panels? I've been lucky enough to hear a couple of writers who I admire speak, and you're right- it definitely stirs that passion for writing inside me, and both times I've come away even more determined to DO THIS. So maybe that's something you could try? If that's not possible, many authors websites will have FAQ/Bio's that will give you an idea of how that person got started with writing, and some are even kind enough to share tips/advice they learned along the way. I know it's not the same as chatting, but again I think you're unlikely to find a succesful author, regardless of how nice that person may be, who has the time or inclination to chat on the phone with a total stranger, even if they do want to be encouraging/sympathetic to new writers.

Anyway, hope that's helpful to you. I'm only a recent member here on the forum but finding it incredibly helpful already, so definitely do have a good read through- there's a mine of information just waiting for you! ;)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Dona,

I was about to suggest, (depending on where the OP is located), hitting the convention circuit since summer is on the horizon. I can't speak for other genres, but I know SF/F/Horror holds conventions almost every weekend between now and the end of October somewhere here in the States (sometimes, multiple ones on the same weekend). It's a great opportunity to meet authors in a reasonably low-stress situation, esp. in the evening.

Shore Leave (a Star Trek-focused SF convention) is famous for Bar Trek - where the various Trek authors (past and present) get together to just visit and talk shop. The group certainly includes many people who aren't Trek authors, (some are authors of other stuff, some are fans of the books/series/movies, some just want to join in the conversation). It's a pretty amorphous group too (the group breaks into smaller groups and reforms as the evening goes along), so there's usually room for new people to join the mob. That's just one example. The bar at DragonCon is notorious for the opportunities to meet authors/comic artists/actors/etc.

I have heard stories from other genre's conventions where people went as fans and years later returned as published authors based on contacts made (and writing talent, don't forget that).

Definitely something to consider.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Join a local chapter of a writers' organization. For example for Romance there is RWA. You probably won't meet any famous names, but at least in my case there were a number of trade published and self-published authors.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Seconding "look for local author readings" and thirding "convention circuit". Bigger name authors might not be able to chat, but you can usually ask a simple question. Smaller ones may be more willing and able to talk.

Other possibilities, go to a local indie bookstore if you have one and find their section for local authors. Find their websites and send emails or a contact request seeing if they wouldn't mind getting coffee or something nearby to talk shop. They may not respond, or you may find some of your best friends (happened to me. :) Not with the author I contacted, but she linked me to someone else who got me in with my amazing critique group.) And that's another option: check for local writing or critique groups in your area. You may find someone there that's published. if not, you've got a group of people right where you are to befriend.

Comanche

Huh??
Registered
Reaction score
Since you prefer the phone, I'll assume you prefer face-to-face as well.

Even small cities have writer's groups. In many cases, they are sponsored by the local library and in other cases, by smallish indie book stores. Many of the authors I've met at such gatherings have published the traditional way.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I would find it discouraging that someone wants me to speak to them on the phone but is unwilling to narrow down their questions beforehand so that I know what I'm signing up for.

You are asking someone to invest time and effort into teaching you. It would be courteous to plan what you need to know beforehand, and limit the time spent doing it (eg an hour on the phone). Time is precious, and it is polite to set limits to how much of a persons time you take.

The cons and writing groups already suggested are a fantastic idea, and I second them, but you'll still benefit from going into those situations with a list of questions ready.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
This is an extremely wide question and you're not narrowing it down so people can even decide if they're the right person to call. Like do you want to know about self-publishing or traditional? You'll get vastly different information.

Personally, I still wouldn't call, just because you're a stranger. How do I know you're not going to somehow scam me, especially since you won't be more specific?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
We also have the chat room where you can talk to people who are hanging out.

But keep in mind that many people, in general, who hunt newbies down and tell them how publishing works are trying to sell them something.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the advice to look into in-person writing groups in your area.

Talking on the phone with a stranger from the internet is beyond many people's comfort level without first establishing a friendship. It's not personal against you--a lot of people just find it more time and energy intensive than chatting on a forum, and it involves giving away some personal information.