Mostly a Ghostwriter. Portfolio?

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for posting two questions so close together. However, these are two different subjects.

I started a journoportfolio page. I have had to struggle to come up with a variety of clips (meaning, multiple sites as well as print) as I have primarily given over my articles to my clients (the articles are published under their names). I have quite a few from each of the sources where I was able to use my name (as in, in the dozens), but I hate to seem redundant, utilizing clips from the same site(s).

I have written over 500 articles. Those in print under my maiden and current name stop as of 2005, which obviously is quite some time ago. A few more are around from more recent years, and my longtime client has had me publish periodically under my own name, but only on a couple of his sites.

I obviously don't want to add clips of articles I've written under my clients' pseudonyms/personas (variety of sites...health and wellness, beauty, yoga, business, etc.).

So how do you all deal with this? Of the sites where my name was used, most are quite old (years old), though I have one or two up. Can I post multiple articles from each of those sites or will that look...bad somehow?

If I post a few more articles from my former magazine gig (the one that ended in 2005)...again, will that look bad, due to the age of the articles?

Anyone else in this situation? How do you deal with it?

ETA: Right now I have 14 clips on my site, from a total of eight sources. I have noted that I can send other links individually upon request...is that okay as I'm not publishing them?

Argh. This is more involved than I thought it was going to be. :D

Last edited:

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in how I wound up dealing with this, at least for now, please see my portfolia (it's the latest entry in the stickied post above of people's blogs/sites). Scroll down for the clips.

I ended up doubling up on a few sites, but such are the breaks. :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Why not post pieces written specifically for journoportfolio, to showcase the kinds of writing you can do and various styles, etc?

You can state on the piece that it's a sample written specifically for the portfolio.

Last edited:

Theodore Koukouvitis

Registered
Reaction score
It's a good idea to ask past clients for permission to use some of the stuff you've ghostwritten for them in your portfolio. From experience, many will accept.

New clients love to see lots of links to published works, even if the works don't have your name on them. Obviously, this can be abused, but it's illegal and unethical to try to pass off others' work as your own.