MtF at home

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
This is for one of the leads in my current WIP, a MtF college student living with a cis roommate.

My question comes from the two scenarios: one, the knowledge that cis women tend to be more or less in a hurry to remove their bra when they get home, and the knowledge that FtM men (is that redundant?) have been known to wear binders when not strictly necessary/safe for the purposes of feeling more self-comfortable.

So when my trans woman character walks in the door, one who transitioned late enough that a padded bra becomes relevant, I'm uncertain whether her habit would be to remove the padded bra or keep it on. (She and the roommate are comfortable with one another.)

Would anybody care to advise?

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I concur that every girl is eager to get out of her bra. When you get to larger cup sizes, many of us are not only less comfortable braless but self-conscious about the way the larger unsupported breast droops. Sigh...

I can report that our trans daughter tends to wear her bra until she goes to bed. This was true before she started hormone replacement therapy and had actual breasts and seems to continue to be true. I never asked her why or anything, but my guess would be that it makes her feel her most feminine. (And she has way prettier lingerie than I did at that age!)

I imagine you'll get first-hand reports soon enough. You should probably depend more on them than on mine.

Maryn, a second-hand Rose

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wear my bra until bed time. Sometimes, I'll change into a sports bra to be a little more comfortable.

Flannel

Registered
Reaction score
Another cis woman chiming in to say that I wear my bra until I go to bed. Women throwing their bras off the second they get home is a thing I hear a lot about but have never actually witnessed.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm not wearing a bra, I'm lying down and probably will be falling asleep soon (or am getting a massage). Sometimes I'm more comfortable sleeping in a sports bra too.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Another cis woman chiming in to say that I wear my bra until I go to bed. Women throwing their bras off the second they get home is a thing I hear a lot about but have never actually witnessed.

I'm cisgender, with medium-sized breasts. I don't take mine off the moment I get home, but once I know I'm settled in and not going out again, I tend to change into sweats or shorts (if it's hot) and a tee shirt, and when I do this, the bra comes off. It's sort of like with shoes (which stay on if I'm going to be going out again soon and come off if I'm staying put--I hate bending over to pull socks on and put them on and tie them over and over). My goal is to not be changing and taking things on and off repeatedly throughout the day.

I go for functionality and comfort over prettiness in underwear, so mainly it's something I do (when I change to more comfortable outerwear) so I won't have to remove the bra later, when I'm ready for bed. It doesn't matter to me whether the bra I"m wearing is pretty or utilitarian, either, because as a cisgender woman, I don't really worry about feeling feminine In fact, I tend to think many of the expected behaviors and habits associated with traditional femininity to be a hassle or burden. Plenty of cisgender women don't share my feelings, though.

I can't speak for transgender women, but from what others have said, it sounds like for some (at least), the bra makes them feel more feminine, so they'd likely keep it on. It sounds like cisgender women vary a lot too, so I think your characters can do whatever works (for the story and characterization) with their undergarments when they get home.

My thought, though, is that a well-fitted and made bra shouldn't be uncomfortable. Maybe if it's a more decorative bra, or is underwire, or if it's really lacy or something, it might be (I hate underwire bras with the heat of a thousand fiery suns). Do some women switch to more comfortable/utilitarian bras when they change from dress-up outfits to lounging-around-the-house clothes?

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point. One of our daughters wears a bra unless she's in the shower.

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
Myself and my roommate are trans, and to be quite honest, neither of us wears a bra unless we're going somewhere lol. Any possible moment that it isn't required, it's off. Then again, neither of us are top heavy, both in the B/C range, so I'd definitely say that bigger would probably make a huge difference. And smaller breasts honestly don't require a bra at all. In nicer weather I typically wear a camisole type top with built in boob wrangler, since I'm on the smaller side in that regard.

As far as padded bra, what specifically do you mean by that? There's different concepts of the term "padded bra" which could apply very different meanings to your question. Padded bra could potentially refer to bras that have a thick, reinforced cloth that conceals nipple poke and shapes the way the boobs look through your shirt, as opposed to unpadded/cloth bras which are thin cloth that just retains and supports. In this sense, the standard bras that pretty much everyone is familiar with are ALL padded bras these days, unpadded/cloth bras are closer to specialty/novelty or lingerie these days.

Or it could mean a bra that has padding at the base to lift and support (these will always by default also count as padded rather than cloth in the previous example).

Or it could refer to any bra, with pads inserted, for example inserts that fill out your chest (the infamous chicken cutlet)

In the first two examples, I'd suggest treating the character's actions as typical of anyone who possesses breasts: as in, personal preference is the key, there aren't any hard rules.

In the third case, the "chicken cutlets" would likely be critical to self-image, and therefore consider the aforementioned suggestions of wearing it all day, possibly even to sleep. I did that a LOT myself when I was younger, and then invested almost 300$ into my cutlets to get ones that not only filled my bra out to the desired size but also were capable of sticking to my breasts even unsupported. Then I could keep them on anytime while waiting for second puberty to kick in so I could grow my own LMAO :D

Keep in mind, too, that cutlets are pretty well known for cis women as well. Most of my girlfriends either knew what they were or even had some of their own. My baby sister has one of her own, because one side didn't grow as much (a full cup smaller) and she's insecure about it. Hell, I have even loaned mine to a trans guy I mentored so he could pull off a dress for prom as a final farewell to femininity. So it wouldn't be unusual for the cis roommate of the story to be totally chill with her roomie padding with cutlets.

As far as nudity/comfortableness with each other's bodies for them to be cool wth undressing? I can't even touch that subject. I'm a fully unashamed nudist. I've never had issues over the years with roommates, but I've also been careful to pick ones that were cool with it. So to me, having a roommate who is bothered by my body means having an empty slot on my lease lol

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Thanks for your input!

And smaller breasts honestly don't require a bra at all.
It's specifically for the purposes of smaller breasts that I'm thinking, which brings us to:

As far as padded bra, what specifically do you mean by that?

Or it could refer to any bra, with pads inserted, for example inserts that fill out your chest (the infamous chicken cutlet)

This is the one I'm referring to and the one that seems to come up the most frequently in the articles that I've found in my (probably superficial) research in the MtF experience thus far.

In the third case, the "chicken cutlets" would likely be critical to self-image, and therefore consider the aforementioned suggestions of wearing it all day, possibly even to sleep. I did that a LOT myself when I was younger, and then invested almost 300$ into my cutlets to get ones that not only filled my bra out to the desired size but also were capable of sticking to my breasts even unsupported.
I hadn't heard of this. This sounds out of the range of my character but I'll definitely look into it just so that I have a working understanding.

Then I could keep them on anytime while waiting for second puberty to kick in so I could grow my own LMAO :D
In the sources I've found, from what I understand they usually don't fully develop without surgery in if HRT starts post-puberty? Is this a case of Your Experience May Vary or is there more to it?

Keep in mind, too, that cutlets are pretty well known for cis women as well. Most of my girlfriends either knew what they were or even had some of their own. My baby sister has one of her own, because one side didn't grow as much (a full cup smaller) and she's insecure about it. Hell, I have even loaned mine to a trans guy I mentored so he could pull off a dress for prom as a final farewell to femininity. So it wouldn't be unusual for the cis roommate of the story to be totally chill with her roomie padding with cutlets.
Okay, this is something I hadn't really heard of. Any experience I've had with cis woman and any sort of padding tended to be a high school comedy and the character was depicted as either particularly insecure or attention-starved. That's probably because this is something that's unlikely to come up in mixed company or on social media, I imagine.

As far as nudity/comfortableness with each other's bodies for them to be cool wth undressing? I can't even touch that subject. I'm a fully unashamed nudist. I've never had issues over the years with roommates, but I've also been careful to pick ones that were cool with it. So to me, having a roommate who is bothered by my body means having an empty slot on my lease lol
I actually didn't have nudity in mind. I was more thinking along the lines of every woman I know (or at least 80%) is skilled in the art of removing their bra without removing their top...although I was actually foolish enough not to take into account that in certain situations women are likely to wear tops that are too tight to do this with, and now that I realize that, it probably wouldn't have worked with the scene that caused me to ask this question in the first place.

I do figure that most people who have been roommates for a while are free with a certain degree of nudity, and I never really considered testing those limits with this piece.

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of this. This sounds out of the range of my character but I'll definitely look into it just so that I have a working understanding.

They don't have to be so expensive as all that; I went that route due to extreme insecurity and plenty of disposable income (like, $7-800 play money after bills each month) to where it wasn't really an unreasonable investment. Most trans folks (trans women in particular) don't make enough money to be able to throw it away on stuff like that though. These particular ones are pretty cool though TBH, totally worth it lol. They stick on without support, and now that my breasts grew out enough naturally, the inserts actually feel surprisingly accurate to actual breasts (like, feel as in the way they hang on your body and move as you move, not feel like with hands)

In the sources I've found, from what I understand they usually don't fully develop without surgery in if HRT starts post-puberty? Is this a case of Your Experience May Vary or is there more to it?

I don't know what sources you've looked at, so I'm not going to bother trying to figure out why they said that. I'm just gonna say, honestly, they're wrong. :wag:

My hormonal transition began at 27, I'm 30 now; my bra size is 38C/40B depending on body weight fluctuations, and I've literally never done anything except take androgen blockers and estrogen, and I do a shitty job of remembering to take them on schedule. There's more options available that I haven't even attempted, too, and certainly keeping a better schedule would make a big difference too. My roommate has very similar results, starting at about the same age range as well.

Certainly, as your sources suggested, the early a trans person gets their hormones under control the better. But by no means does it mean that transitioning as an adult is pointless. And that kind of misinformation is DEADLY. Full stop. A lot of closeted adult trans women go through a hell of a lot of self-loathing because they're convinced that it's too late to do anything about it, hormonal therapy won't get good results, etc... I've dealt with suicide and alcoholism for the last 7 years because I felt trapped and like I'd waited too long (I became homeless at 16 for coming out and ended up joining the military as a last resort, and there was absolutely no choice to come out back then). So I reaaaally want to stress that your source, at least as far as the suggestion that breast development cannot occur in hormone therapy after puberty, is not only wrong, but also harmful.

Okay, this is something I hadn't really heard of. Any experience I've had with cis woman and any sort of padding tended to be a high school comedy and the character was depicted as either particularly insecure or attention-starved. That's probably because this is something that's unlikely to come up in mixed company or on social media, I imagine.

I can't give any numbers on actual percentage of women, etc, and couldn't find much after a couple quick Google searches, but I can definitely say in my own life that most of the women I have known well enough to have that kind of conversation with, knew what they were. And they aren't necessarily for insecure people either. Sometimes you just need a little boost for a particular outfit. Sometimes you wanna really pop at a particular event. Most people wouldn't wear inserts on a regular basis, but might keep a set around for special occasions. And pretty much any lingerie or bra section at basically any store you can think of, carries some form of them, usually on the much lower end range. The fancy stuff like the ones I mentioned, are found on specialty websites. They can range anywhere from 5-500$ and come in a ridiculous variety lol.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for saying that. The few trans people I know transitioned as young adults, using hormone replacement therapy. All of them have the anticipated breast size, one to two cup sizes smaller than the average of mother and any sisters at their healthy weights, that's announced as typical.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Whether or not a bra is a comfort or annoying is in part determined by breast size; small breasted women may not wear a bra at all for ordinary clothes, relying instead on camisoles, or the like.

XY breasts as such are pretty much identical to XX breasts; the differences are entirely governed by hormones, specifically estrogen and prolactin (the luteotropic hormone involved in lactation and, oh joy, menstrual cramps, among other things). Even cis men can lactate.

Even cis women can have chest hair. It's just a matter of chemical switches.

Breast size for everyone is governed by diet/exercise, DNA regarding breast size, and the presence or absence of hormones.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
It's a minor detail and rather besides the point but I've got small to moderate sized breasts as a cis-woman and I wear my bra all the time (except bed/sex/showers/massages etc) because if I go without for any length of time I do get sore. So it's not just large breasted women who get sore boobs without support. This is definitely a ymmv issue.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is definitely a ymmv issue.
Thought those reading this thread might get a chuckle out of the way I read that as "This is definitely a yummy issue."

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's a minor detail and rather besides the point but I've got small to moderate sized breasts as a cis-woman and I wear my bra all the time (except bed/sex/showers/massages etc) because if I go without for any length of time I do get sore. So it's not just large breasted women who get sore boobs without support. This is definitely a ymmv issue.

Yep. Also women who might wear not a bra all the time, may wear one for sport, say horseback riding or running, where a bra can be absolutely crucial in terms of comfort.

As you say, Your Mileage My Vary.

Last edited:

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a gardener. Ride-on lawn mowers over bumpy ground are... uncomfortable. My solution is a sports bra plus a slightly weird posture that involves my upper arms clamping inward somewhat. I only wear a C cup ffs. I have been known to drive around with my left arm crossed across myself and, if unsupported (and unobserved), I run upstairs holding them gingerly as if they were two angry hamsters. I can only imagine what more endowed women endure.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trans and I typically take my bra off as soon as I get home.

And FWIW, I started HRT at 26 and 1.5 years later, I'm a 34B/C.

Hormones are pretty damn effective at any age. The primary things HRT can effect differently if started earlier (pre- or during puberty) is 1) if started before a trans girl's voice drops, it won't drop, and 2) if started before facial hair growth, that won't be an issue either, and 3) bone growth, which can affect things like height and hips.

Edit: A note on your thread title. "Trans" is an adjective. It's polite to put a noun after it.

Last edited: