Trouble with endings

semolinaro

Always lost in thought.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the first draft of a story I'm working on (you may have seen my earlier post about it) where a girl named Sparrow moves out to the country and befriends a forest god named Soren. He is on the brink of perishing due to losing all his followers throughout the years and being forgotten, and Sparrow's faith is the only thing keeping him alive. At the end of the story, Soren ends up perishing, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why he perishes. Originally, I wrote the ending so his shrine was destroyed (the last physical element of his memory) in a blast to make room for construction, causing him to fade at the end. However, I find this ending isn't really relevant to Sparrow's faith. I've dabbled with the idea of Soren trying to convince Sparrow that he's not real because he sees how their relationship is having a negative impact on her (an idea some people gave me here on the forum) but I find that if she suddenly forgets about him, her final goodbye with Soren won't be as poignant as I want her to feel the pain of loss after he fades. If she forgets about him, that can't happen.

What are your thoughts?

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe she does forget about him, but something make her remember? Like stumbling across some remain of his shrine, or ....something?

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
She doesn't have to forget him, she could just come to believe he was imaginary. I like the suggestion of stumbling upon his shrine. It could also be somewhat ambiguous. Is it really the ruins of a shrine, or just a pile of mossy rocks?

Seven Crowns

Registered
Reaction score
Because seeing something isn't faith. And it was faith that kept him alive, not being remembered. The girl realizes this at the end. Though she believes 100%, it's no longer faith. She has too much proof.

Last edited:

Ser Michael P

Registered
Reaction score
Or his destructive relationship with her causes him to lose faith in himself. He must choose his happiness with her, to her detriment, or sacrifice himself by recognition of said detriment.

semolinaro

Always lost in thought.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting points... I'm particularly interested in the idea of 'seeing vs. faith'. Sparrow's faith in Soren could become based solely on her being able to see him rather than believing in his existence solely from her own thought.

Another point I should mention is that Sparrow and Soren can't touch due to him being reduced to the form of a spirit/silhouette. I want them to be able to touch once before he perishes. I wonder how I'll be able to do that...

Ah, brainstorming.

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest a renewal. Soren dies for a sacrifice in order that something else comes along. When you end with tragedy, I prefer to tag some hope on at the end. It's a more rewarding experience in my opinion. If she became the new forest god herself, that would be interesting as well.
MyTwoCents.jpg