Pronouns

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
So I have a character in a WIP who was AMAB. And there are flashback scenes that take place before she transitioned.

What I need help with is how to work out the pronouns. I'm obviously going to refer to her as she in the present-day scenes, but I'm not sure what is appropriate in the flashbacks.

Please to help. And let me know if I've said anything out of line. Thank you in advance.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My trans daughter says the only acceptable way to use pronouns for her childhood is to use the one that matches her adult gender. Anything else she finds hurtful. Her dad and I find this quite difficult, but we do our best.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe ask your character? Maryn's daughter finds it hurtful to hear the wrong pronoun. Would your character feel the same? How would she refer to past self?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are three things to keep in mind:

- What is realistic for the POV character. Are these flashbacks from the trans character's POV? Another character's? If the latter, what is the dynamic like? Someone who's always known the trans character as a woman will likely use female pronouns. A relative who's had a difficult time not seeing the character as a man might have a different instinct.

- What is the framing of the flashback? Are we in the POV character's present-day head while they think back, or are these scenes that are actually taking place during an earlier time in the character's life? How she thinks of herself now, even in the context of memory, could be different than how she thought of herself years ago. Same thing with how other people think of her.

The "girl" who made me realize that I was bisexual is now an out trans man. I think of him as a guy and would use male pronouns when talking about him, but if you were in the head of my 14-year-old self, I obviously thought of him as a girl because I didn't know he was trans yet. My own perception of my gender and sexuality have also changed since I've realized I'm non-binary.

- That said, the generally appropriate thing is to not change which pronouns you use for someone based only on whether you're talking about them pre- or post-transition. Some trans people, like Maryn's daughter, find it very offensive. For others, it can seem kind of...out of touch. There's this old-fashioned perception that transgender people change their gender when they transition, but that view no longer resonates with a lot of trans people, if it ever did. A lot of people feel that they have been their true gender all their lives, and even if they don't feel that way, most people don't have a life that's cleanly divided between pre- and post-transition. Transition is a long process, and some people never medically or legally transition. Transitioning doesn't "set" a person's gender identity.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't any instances where it makes sense to use different pronouns, particularly if you're in the POV of a character who reasonably would do so. It's just something to be aware of, and not something to default to.

Last edited:

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
My trans daughter says the only acceptable way to use pronouns for her childhood is to use the one that matches her adult gender. Anything else she finds hurtful. Her dad and I find this quite difficult, but we do our best.

Thank you.

Maybe ask your character? Maryn's daughter finds it hurtful to hear the wrong pronoun. Would your character feel the same? How would she refer to past self?
She'd be offended and would refer to her "past self" as she. She knew from a young age that her designated gender was wrong.

I think there are three things to keep in mind:

- What is realistic for the POV character. Are these flashbacks from the trans character's POV? Another character's? If the latter, what is the dynamic like? Someone who's always known the trans character as a woman will likely use female pronouns. A relative who's had a difficult time not seeing the character as a man might have a different instinct.
The flashbacks are from a different character's POV.

Their dynamic: They were childhood friends who grew apart after high school and don't see each other again for several years. They start off a bit "icy" and mistrustful of one another but that changes quickly.

The POV character is initially surprised at the character's transition but gets over it quickly.

- What is the framing of the flashback? Are we in the POV character's present-day head while they think back, or are these scenes that are actually taking place during an earlier time in the character's life? How she thinks of herself now, even in the context of memory, could be different than how she thought of herself years ago. Same thing with how other people think of her.

They're scenes that actually take place during the earlier time.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She'd be offended and would refer to her "past self" as she. She knew from a young age that her designated gender was wrong.
Then, yep, if the flashback is in her POV, the pronouns used should be female.

The flashbacks are from a different character's POV.
That gives you a great opportunity to show how the friend's mindset changes, if initially they use male pronouns in flashbacks, but gradually change over to female pronouns as the friend accepts the truth.