Reading old documents

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing research for my next novel set in 18th century England. Through Ancestry UK I found the last will and testament of one of my main characters...but the writing is so hard to read! I cannot find a transcribed version anywhere online. I thought of contacting a local university's history department and asking if they could read it but that seems like a long shot.

Any suggestions?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Post the link and I'll take a look (I have a worldwide Ancestry subscription, so should be able to access it).

ETA: as long as the image itself is clear, you shouldn't have to go as far as a university for help reading an old document. There are a lot of genealogy groups on Facebook where people would be happy to help--or you could try the message boards on Ancestry.

Last edited:

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Take your time with it and keep coming back to it. My first two books were nonfiction and I used a lot of handwritten 19th century documents as source material. Sometimes if you keep returning to something, suddenly, on one of those views, their writing will suddenly become much clearer to you. Or you slowly start identifying patters. If you can find more documents written by the same person, that will help.

With real difficult to read documents, I'll transcribe it and leave blanks for everything that's not absolutely clear. Then you can start using context while filling in the blanks. And again, just walk away when you're stuck. I recently had two words ending a sentence that I just could not read. Then one of the times I picked it up, I saw it as clear as if I had written it myself.

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I can read some of it - I was searching for a specific name mentioned in the will and was surprised at how easily it jumped out at me! Like you said, shootseven, I used context to figure out some words but and I've determined some "mystery words" by comparing to words that are legible. I guess I'm just not patient enough...I want to just read it now! :D I did find some helpful tips on ancestry uk for reading old documents but I never thought about trying their message boards.