The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Do you follow an author or just the series?

figuring it all out

Question Do you follow an author or just the series?

A long time ago i was reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I was asked if i was a Stephen King and i said i was not. A fan of Stephen King would finish The Dark Tower then go on to read his other books, Carrie, The Stand, Salem's Lot, From a Buick 8 etc. I never did, after i finished The Dark Tower i moved on to Arthur C. Clarke's Odyssey Series and when i finished that i went on a reading hiatus for a few years.

So you see what i mean? there is a difference between being a fan of the author and being a fan of a particular book/series.

The first time i actually read an 'author' was with Isaac Asimov mostly because a lot of his work is actually tied together so in a way its like one very long series.

What about you?
    "If you have a little voice in your head that talks to you, don't worry your human. If you have three or four voices that argue with each other, don't worry your a writer!"

Democracy Dies in Darkness Marlys's Avatar
    Depends. If I like a book or series, I'll almost always try another by the same author. But I won't stick with it out of sheer loyalty if it doesn't grab me. One of my favorite mystery/romantic suspense authors ever did a long-running series that I had to give up on because I just didn't care for it.
    I'm a twit, too: @PearsonMarlys

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    I'm more likely to try something new by an author I've enjoyed in the past (and less likely to try something new from one I haven't enjoyed), though I don't know that there are any authors I feel fanatically devoted to/can do no wrong. Some haven't disappointed me yet, others have.

As for series, if I get invested in the world and characters, I sometimes read longer than I probably should. (Sort of like how I would sometimes watch a TV show past its shark jump, riding the memories of its glory days and hoping against hope they might return. Once in a blue moon, it would happen... usually not.)
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

practical experience, FTW Cobalt Jade's Avatar
    As for series, if I get invested in the world and characters, I sometimes read longer than I probably should. (Sort of like how I would sometimes watch a TV show past its shark jump, riding the memories of its glory days and hoping against hope they might return. Once in a blue moon, it would happen... usually not.)
    That is well put.

I have a tendency to not finish series, for a variety of reasons.

1. The series becomes just too big and clunky (Wheel of Time, Dune)

2. I can't get past the awful writing and plot twists (Wither, Ringworld)

In the latter case, I rely on Wikipedia and Goodreads to tell me how everything ends up.