Audio/video queries

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
My problem with query letters is I think it's just easier to do for some types of plots or genres.

Yes there will be exceptions but in general, it's going to be easier to condense a 33k kid's book than a long literary tome about intersectionalism or whatever.

It's not an equal audition in that sense.

But a synopsis or cover letter - that's far more equal.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Again, in the UK the cover letter is an expected part of the submission package. Go over to QLH and have a read of the "UK Queries" thread - there are some examples in there of successful cover letters for literary fiction.

Yes, the "standard" US query style doesn't work for all types of books, but it's also not demanded for all types of books...

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My problem with query letters is I think it's just easier to do for some types of plots or genres.

Yes there will be exceptions but in general, it's going to be easier to condense a 33k kid's book than a long literary tome about intersectionalism or whatever.

It's not an equal audition in that sense.

But a synopsis or cover letter - that's far more equal.

I'd argue it's not, actually, depending on the specific books involved, but in a general sense, I dispute your premise.

You might think it's easier to query a shorter book that you're thinking of as 'simpler' but it's really not. Think of it like putting together an outfit to impress someone. If you've got a big closet with a bunch of looks, and a big jewelry chest, you have a hard time choosing just what to pick, but there are options and ways to rearrange things that you don't have if your wardrobe is smaller. There, your options can be so limited it's hard to put together something impressive, or find the right thing without throwing on everything all at once. As well, a kids' book can have a basic theme, same as an adult book, but you don't generally want to come out and say it. You have to talk about the book and show the same things without mentioning the obvious, and without burning through too MUCH of the plot in a query.

Have you read the Queries for Well-Known Works, or whatever it's called, thread? There's a query in there for fucking Les Mis, which, I do believe, as I know who wrote it, clocks in under 300 words. There are several queries for some things, because they offer enough options to go several ways. There are queries for short things and long, incredibly complex stuff and simple. People have queries up for Shakespeare and Milne works. Anything can be queried. Anything.

Same as the famous one-sentence thing: sum up your novel in one concise sentence. If you can't, there's something wrong with either you or the book. People will protest this all the livelong day, but it's true.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
One line is easier than a query, I'd argue.I have no difficulty with one line summaries; crikey, I wish all query letters were limited to 3 sentences or less, and then I'd be in business (maybe literally)!

The reason being that query letters are expecting a certain amount of depth, voice, plot, and detail, but not TOO much of any of those. Getting that balance right is what slowly tips people into self-inflicted query hell (I nearly said insanity...)

Les Mis surely has a straightforward premise; it simply explores every nano-inch of it? Maybe? I liked the book but skimmed the first 100 pages about the priest. I'm a Bad Person.

At this point I'm just hoping to squeeze by with a cover letter because I really don't think I'll manage to nail the query, ever. That's not a criticism of the format per se, just a reflection of my particular weaknesses.