• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Harvard Square Editions

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
For what it's worth, they have had a book reviewed in The Guardian and that same book was honored by the National Book Foundation. So that's good.

V-Man

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesvachowski.com
Thanks Thedrellum, good find. HSE looks like a great outfit from everything I've seen so far. They've got my full manuscript under review at the moment, so fingers crossed.

Travelermom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madelainewong.com
I'm glad I found your post, V-Man. HSE has a nice website. They complimented my writing and told me they'd like to publish my book. I was so excited, until I looked at the contract. It was terrible. Among other things, only 7% royalties. The whole thing was heavily swayed in the publisher's favour. Worst of all, once I waded through 4 pages of legal jargon, I got to the very last clause. They want control of your copyright. According to the contract, it's completely up to them whether or not they return your rights. They could keep your copyright forever if they want. I turned them down. I'll give you the advise I was given. Don't walk away, run!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I found your post, V-Man. HSE has a nice website. They complimented my writing and told me they'd like to publish my book. I was so excited, until I looked at the contract. It was terrible. Among other things, only 7% royalties. The whole thing was heavily swayed in the publisher's favour. Worst of all, once I waded through 4 pages of legal jargon, I got to the very last clause. They want control of your copyright. According to the contract, it's completely up to them whether or not they return your rights. They could keep your copyright forever if they want. I turned them down. I'll give you the advise I was given. Don't walk away, run!
Could you elaborate, please? For example, were royalties on gross (cover price) or net? 7% of gross is on the low side, but not unreasonable. Likewise, was there nothing regarding sales volume to balance the "keep copyright forever"?

If you aren't comfortable posting clauses, I encourage you to send the contract to Writer Beware for their files and/or opinion.