2017 Hugo Awards

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Based on the lists, it looks like there was considerably less "Puppy Drama." I haven't been following that closely, so maybe I missed it.
Having repeatedly gotten their noses rubbed in their own messes at WorldCon, the Puppies have moved to DragonCon and the still-slate-manipulable Dragon awards.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gutted TLTL didn't win.

Nothing against NK Jemisin, her book is fine, but to my mind Ada Palmer is stratospherically above the rest of the nominations.

I've only just started reading All The Birds In The Sky, but I'll add this to the list.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gutted TLTL didn't win.

Nothing against NK Jemisin, her book is fine, but to my mind Ada Palmer is stratospherically above the rest of the nominations.

In my own opinion, the correct book from the nominees won. Palmer did win the Campbell as I expected her to.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Well yes, most people are going to agree with you, or Broken Obelisk wouldn't have won :p That is presumably how it works (I hope).

I'm voicing a dissenting opinion.

Maybe she'll win next year. Seven Surrenders is supposedly even stronger.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Well yes, most people are going to agree with you, or Broken Obelisk wouldn't have won :p That is presumably how it works (I hope).

I'm voicing a dissenting opinion.

Maybe she'll win next year. Seven Surrenders is supposedly even stronger.

I would have gone with TLTL as well, and I'm not so sure about SS next year. It felt rushed in places, perhaps to keep up with the spider web of plot threads that Palmer put together in TLTL.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Finally back and recovered!

I am sad that Splendor and Misery came in last in BDP-Short. :-(

On the plus side, I got to meet Daveed Diggs, Johathan Snipes, and William Hutson from Clipping (twice!) and they are lovely people.

The Hugo ceremony was the best I've ever attended. Very well done. Many kudos to Dr. Lord and the Events Team. As soon as you can view the video, you *must* watch Ursula Vernon's, acceptance speech on Whale Fall.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
As soon as you can view the video, you *must* watch Ursula Vernon's, acceptance speech on Whale Fall.

Where would I find such a thing!? Ursula is the funniest person to speak at lit events this side of Shannon Hale.

Last edited: