kress_explorers_door_in_the_alley

The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Hugo Awards

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    So, lack of writing skill can draw further attention to political slant in fiction. Because the execution of an idea is a part of telling the story effectively. And, sometimes folks just fail in that regard. But, seamless presentation of a political/social/cultural idea isn't a requirement for being an author.

Worldview, of course, does play a role. Things that challenge our personal views will stick out more than those things which are already a part of them. Thus liberals are more likely to complain about conservative "messages" and conservatives about liberal "messages", and we too frequently assume that those things stand out to us because of lack of craft, but that's only sometimes the case. (I have a friend who hates government social support systems. He wrote a book in which the protags mother goes on welfare and then never does anything else because it's more appealing to sit at home and get free stuff. I disagree with that particular take on the issue, but it was compounded by the fact that this information is *told* to the reader, rather than shown. Just a block paragraph of text in which the narrator tells us protags mother is lazy and worthless and on foodstamps. So yes, craft is an issue too. But then, craft is always an issue with creative work.)

Also, ideas about what folks value as creative change. Warhol was ridiculed for his "pop art" by the "real" artists of his time. Now we look at his work as being pretty avant garde. I imagine readers follow similar shifts in direction as new authors try new things.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Quote Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
    (I have a friend who hates government social support systems. He wrote a book in which the protags mother goes on welfare and then never does anything else because it's more appealing to sit at home and get free stuff. I disagree with that particular take on the issue, but it was compounded by the fact that this information is *told* to the reader, rather than shown. Just a block paragraph of text in which the narrator tells us protags mother is lazy and worthless and on foodstamps.
    This is an example of a style I don't care for, even when I agree with the author's take on things. There are styles and narrative viewpoints where a narrator can get away with temporarily stepping outside of the story to explain something to the reader, or to reflect on something, but it either needs a very strong, possibly rather quirky voice, or it should be limited to very brief passages, imo.

But I can be sensitive to political biases that are shown and not told. If a writer is showing me a parade of lazy characters who feel entitled to not work because of welfare, or is harping on some other issue that's dear to their heart, it can still make for uncomfortable reading. Some stories aren't written with people like me as the target audience.

There's one very popular SF writer whom I never liked as much as many people do, even before the internet era allowed this person's rather conservative sociopolitical views to become common knowledge. I liked the stories well enough, and the writing was good, so I tried 2-3 of their earlier books, but something just didn't quite resonate with me--something about the way the person characterized certain religions and also the roles played by male and female characters in their plots.

It just wasn't for me, but many of my contemporaries think this authors' novels are life changing, the best they've ever read. I don't know if it's because they agree with the authors' basic views, or if they're less sensitive to how those views came through than I am.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Merovingian Superhero ULTRAGOTHA's Avatar
    The final ballot is open! You should have received a personalized link to it in the e-mail you gave to Worldcon 75. If you need any help, e-mail hugohelp@worldcon.fi

The packet isn't out yet but there will be one.

ETA: Here is the link packet JJ at File 770 put together (not to be confused with our AW JJ).

Where to Find the 2017 Hugo Finalists For Free Online

If you are a member of Worldcon 75, or become one before the Hugo Voting Deadline, you can vote for this year's Hugo Winners. Winners announced on the FRIDAY (note, departure from usual Saturday date) of Worldcon in Helsinki on 11 August.
    Last edited by ULTRAGOTHA; 04-24-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts."
    --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

================================
    "He has the courage of a fighting cock and the brains of a chicken."
    -I cannot find the attribution for this :-(
    ================================

@ULTRAGOTHA on Twitter

Tending bar by the litterbox. Thomas Vail's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DongerNeedFood View Post
    There has been a heavy slant toward social message books recently.
    No there hasn't. You're just factually wrong here.

That's one of the reasons why the whole puppy silliness crash and burned so badly, because they _felt_ there was this thing happening and by golly they didn't like it. But when something as cursory as, 'all right, let's take a look at the previous years' nominees and... huh. None of the data supports your assertion, so... I'm sorry your feelings are hurt, but take it up with reality?'

Aerospace engineer turned writer Laer Carroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DongerNeedFood View Post
    There has been a heavy slant toward social message books recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vail View Post
    No there hasn't. You're just factually wrong here.
    Tom is correct. I've been seven years retired, so I have time to read two or three complete SF/F novels each week and sample two or three more from the public library across the street. That's even spending from six to as much as ten hours a day writing or researching my own books.

Before retirement I still managed a book a week, much of it SF/F. Since the early Sixties.

Again, this "the liberals are flooding the world with books" idea is false. EVERYBODY is flooding the world with books, conservatives and liberals and unclassifieables alike.

The number of new fiction titles has been slowly increasing for well over a century as publishing becomes ever cheaper because of slowly improving technology, the consolidation of publishers, and the outsourcing of printing to places with lower labor costs. (Example of that last: as of this year Simon and Schuster's books are printed in China and shipped to their distributors.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123