Let's talk word count.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw some tweets yesterday from an agent on #tenqueries that 120k is too long for a debut historical novel. I had always thought that 120k was the upper limit of acceptable, but now I'm not so sure. On one hand, I know someone whose agent wanted her debut under 90k, and on the other, I know someone else whose agent just sold her debut at 134k. Obviously I'm aware that it all depends on the writer, the book, and the publisher, but it got me wondering about my own assumptions about word count and historical fiction. This matters quite a bit to me as I start thinking about where I should be putting my energy in terms of a next project.

For the current market, what is acceptable length for a debut historical novel?

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
No expert here but 85k - 115k would be a safe bet for a debut novel.

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm querying my debut historical which is 98K. I've had lots of positive feedback from agents and no mention of it being too long.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
For historical, you can go a bit longer. Generally 120k is considered the far limit. For a debut novelist, you're safer sticking to 100k or less. The ms that snagged me an agent was about 105k, and she said not to worry about word count when I added a few chapters to make it 110k. Of course, that ms didn't sell, but that's another story!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I was curious what folks with agents and publishing deals had heard, and this is very helpful. I'm querying a 94k historical right now, but trying to figure out what length to aim for in my WIP.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a link from an agent's blog, that may be helpful. It gives suggested word counts for PBs through YAs, but some other insights could prove useful to you and others.
http://literaticat.blogspot.com/2011/05/wordcount-dracula.html

FWIW my debut historical that is coming out in May comes in at 83,000 words, but it could also be considered YA since the MC is only seventeen. Personally, I think you can get away with going a bit longer, if yours is for adult readers. What others have suggested is along the lines of what I've heard also. Good luck!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I would never bank totally on what an agent says. Instead, I'd query your target publishers (assuming you're looking at trade publishing and not indie) and suss out what THEIR requirements are. I wouldn't let the fact that it's a debut novel stop me, either. My debut was a 90K contemporary, and IIRC the published wasn't fussed about how long it was.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
As an unpublished author, you can only get away with a long manuscript if your story is page-turning and your writing is exciting. Most manuscripts aren't, which is why agents and editors discourage word counts over 100k.