Windows 10 desktop slideshow

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My lovely husband has a new laptop running Windows 10, but there's a problem. He wants the desktop background/wallpaper to show a slideshow of all the pictures he has in his Pictures library. He has selected Pictures" as the folder to use as a basis of the slideshow, but his computer will only show pictures which are directly in that Pictures folder, and not organised into other folders within the Pictures folder.

He has all his pictures organised into subfolders within the Pictures folder, so nothing now appears on his desktop background.

I know it worked on his previous laptop, which also ran Windows 10, and I can't find anywhere I can select "include subfolders" or something like that. How can we make this work?

(I've tried to set this up on my new laptop too, and it does the same thing, so I wonder if it's something to do with the current version of Windows 10.)

I've seen advice online to set up a pictures folder called Slideshow and copy all pictures into there, but it seems silly to me to have to have duplicates of everything, especially when I know this did used to work on his last laptop.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, stephen. But that only lets me select one single folder of pictures to include from within the main Pictures folder, which is not what we're trying to do. We would like the entire contents of the Pictures folder--so, the contents of ALL the folders within it--to be included in the slideshow. It's how we both had our previous laptops set up, and they were both running Windows 10 too.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I don't actuly have windows 10 , but I am now nervous to allowing anything to be updated. It nearly always means something disappearing. The photo viewer in windows 10 is a much discussed example . Here is a link to a possible solution , but there are other ways of resorting it . www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-windows-photo-viewer-windows-10/

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Stephan, will reinstalling Photo Viewer, as explained in that link, sort out my issue? Or are you just suggesting I do it because it is a better photo viewer than the newer option?

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I don't have any personal experience of Windows 10. But it looks as if the old windows viewer is still in Windows 10. So you don't need to install it , but you do need to make some alteration to get it to work . I can't say for certain if it will fix things back to what you once had , sadly . Have a look how you can role back Windows to a time in the past , it will undo any changes you make . Just in case .

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Matera. I've gone through the steps there and it only allows me to select the few pictures which aren't in subfolders and, oddly, one of the subfolders. That's all. I've tried all sorts of things and can't get it to do anything else. Bah.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I take it my solution was not the solution , sorry.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Found this - had you tried this as a workaround?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...eing-sub/89aca09b-09d8-4519-a396-7f572b36c9a4[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Make a shortcut on your desktop (right click - new - shortcut)
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Copy and paste the following as location of the item: [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,@desktop[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Click "Next" and name the shortcut to whatever you like.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Use the shortcut and you will get the old win8 wallpaper menu. Now you can choose the library with your pictures again.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]
[/FONT]

Last edited: