AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Who's in here enroll in Kindle Unlimited ($480 million payout in 2017)?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    on the road
    Posts
    72

    Who's in here enroll in Kindle Unlimited ($480 million payout in 2017)?

    Who's in here enroll in Kindle Unlimited ($480 million payout in 2017)?

    What is your reason for enrolling in KU? how many books do you have in KU?

    and do you make more money from KU or from sales of the KU enrolled novel? A lot of posters on kboards say they make about 50% from KU and 50% from sales from books that they enrolled. Is your experience similar?

  2. #2
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4
    KU is about 60% of my ebook income. Sales is about 40%.

    I'm in KU because I couldn't get any traction from the other stores.

  3. #3
    practical experience, FTW Daffyjkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    107
    I assume when you say KU you are talking about the KENP (pages read of the borrowed book). I think I am about 65% sales and 35% KU, although KU is growing faster than sales. KU is good because people are reading my books everyday. I only have two books in KU. I think if I had more books the numbers of sales and KENP would rise. Writing more is what I need to do.

  4. #4
    practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyjkl View Post
    KU is good because people are reading my books everyday.
    Good for readers, maybe, but bad for authors in the long run. Overall, the US payout has declined from ~$0.0058 when KU started to ~$0.0043 today.
    Last edited by WriterBN; 06-15-2017 at 11:06 PM.

  5. #5
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    22
    A lot of that is on the back of the scammers on KU. Look at the top books listed as top performers and you will find some really questionable material. Some of it just other authors work run through a program to substitute words so it passes plagurisum/copy checks.

  6. #6
    practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    15,183
    I'm going to be in Kindle Unlimited with my first book. I don't know if I'll always go that route. It will depend on a lot of factors.

  7. #7
    Get it off! It burns! Dennis E. Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Mordor
    Posts
    2,308
    Right now, KU is matching sales revenue, more or less, on my books. But at some point, sales and KU will drop off, and I might take the books wide at that point.
    Formerly Angry Guy.

    Speak the truth, but not to punish

    ---
    Website/Blog: www.dennisetaylor.org

  8. #8
    practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by TStarnes View Post
    A lot of that is on the back of the scammers on KU. Look at the top books listed as top performers and you will find some really questionable material. Some of it just other authors work run through a program to substitute words so it passes plagurisum/copy checks.
    Yes, that's one of the biggest problems with KU. I have some books in it, but most are wide, and sales on the other platforms more than compensate for any potential loss of revenue from not being in KU.

    However, my experience isn't typical--most authors seem to do better in KU than out of it. The only way to find out is to try.

  9. #9
    practical experience, FTW Daffyjkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    107
    Hi WriterBN. What other platforms do you use? And can you rank them in order of sales? Thanks in advance.

  10. #10
    Livin' la vida biblia ASeiple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    785
    About two to three fifths of my royalty income is from KU. Eventually it might be worth it to go wide, but that time has not yet come.
    My Twitter
    My Blog
    My Facebook Page
    My Web Page
    My most recent release:


    DIRE:SINS

  11. #11
    practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyjkl View Post
    Hi WriterBN. What other platforms do you use? And can you rank them in order of sales? Thanks in advance.
    Just looking at last month's numbers:

    1. Amazon
    2. Google Play (very close behind Amazon)
    3. iBooks
    4. Nook
    5. Smashwords Direct
    6. Kobo

    The rest are insignificant (Tolino, Inktera, etc.).

  12. #12
    practical experience, FTW Daffyjkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    107
    Thanks WriterBN. Do you think that sales are better going that route than being specifically Amazon KU?

  13. #13
    practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyjkl View Post
    Thanks WriterBN. Do you think that sales are better going that route than being specifically Amazon KU?
    You won't know until you try. It works for me (for a couple of pen names), but my experience may not be typical. Also, it takes a long time to build a platform on the other channels (almost a year, in my case). It's important to keep that in mind, because I've seen many authors pull books out of Select, give up after 3 months of low sales on the other channels, and go right back into Select again.

    You also have to work harder at promoting your books on the other channels, because they don't get the visibility that they do on KDP.

  14. #14
    New and suspicious Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    75
    I have thirteen books in KENP. Like the others I pull more money from pages read than actual sales.

    I've used it since they switched from borrowed books to pages read. It's a good deal given the state of the market these days.

  15. #15
    practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    It's a good deal given the state of the market these days.
    That depends on the market. For one of my pen names, most of the KENP read come from India, which makes them close to worthless.

  16. #16
    New and suspicious Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by WriterBN View Post
    That depends on the market. For one of my pen names, most of the KENP read come from India, which makes them close to worthless.
    Yeah, I've sold some in India, but not enough to warrant a check.

    Still, the life of an indie author is akin to the wandering monks of the Middle Ages, disdaining material compensation as they strive simply to be heard.

  17. #17
    practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Still, the life of an indie author is akin to the wandering monks of the Middle Ages, disdaining material compensation as they strive simply to be heard.
    Not me--I have bills to pay

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search