• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Biology: Dolphins risking death to eat octopus

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a strategy for avoiding tentacles that keep fighting even when detached.

Ars Technica said:
Bottlenose dolphins living off the coast of southwest Australia have a dilemma. The local octopuses are tasty and packed with protein, but they are also intelligent, fierce fighters. It's not enough to bite the cephalopods' heads off, because octopus nervous systems are so decentralized that their legs can continue the battle even when detached. Nevertheless, the dolphins have persisted in their pursuit of tentacled meals. Now, after years of observation with video, scientists have seen dozens of examples of the dolphins' elaborate octopus hunting strategy.

Bottlenose dolphins are known for problem-solving when it comes to hunting difficult prey. Previously, researchers have seen the dolphins protecting their soft snouts with sponges while digging in the seafloor for fish. Octopus hunting requires other skills, however. First, the octopus has to be disarmed—literally. And then those arms have to be bashed into submission. Those who do not learn this trick are likely to die. In a paper published recently in Marine Mammal Science, Murdoch University marine biologist Kate R. Sprogis and colleagues report that they've come across two dolphins killed while trying to eat octopuses:

It is apparent that octopus handling is a risky behavior, as within our study area a known adult male stranded and a necropsy confirmed the cause of death was from suffocation from a large 2.1 kg octopus. The dolphin had attempted to swallow the octopus, however, the octopus was found almost intact, with the head and the mantle of the octopus in the dolphin's stomach and the 1.3 m long arms separated from the head and extending out of its mouth. Similarly, another [bottlenose dolphin] died from suspected asphyxiation due to an octopus lodged in its mouth and pharynx.

Essentially, the octopuses' tentacles keep fighting, blocking the dolphins' airways, even after most of their bodies have been swallowed. It's a terrifying way to die, but Sprogis and the researchers observe that octopuses must be such valuable prey that they are worth it. Over seven years of observation, she and her team watched 33 dolphins "handling" octopuses in ways that made them meal-ready. Typically, the encounter would start with the dolphin biting the octopus' head off, followed by tossing the legs into the air so that they smack hard into the water over and over. Dolphins would execute the grab-and-toss move about 10-15 times before they were satisfied.

It's still unclear why dolphins are willing to risk so much for such a small meal. Sprogis and colleagues muse that the nutritional value of an octopus must be "substantial." Or, as marine biologist Holly Bik points out at Deep Sea News, maybe it's just that "dolphins are a$$holes."

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
It's still unclear why dolphins are willing to risk so much for such a small meal. Sprogis and colleagues muse that the nutritional value of an octopus must be "substantial." Or, as marine biologist Holly Bik points out at Deep Sea News, maybe it's just that "dolphins are a$$holes."

Look, I've gone to similar lengths to get a small piece of chocolate.

I am also an arsehole.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
"A picture of the man who choked to death on the donut with a dolphin" sounds like one of the dishes from that 'neural network learns to cook' thread. I'll have two.

What a way to go, though, sheesh. Imagine explaining that one in Valhalla.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
In what may/may not be completely unrelated, two people died over the weekend in eating contests, one in pancakes and one in doughnuts.

Eeew. Donuts with tentacles?

I remember reading an article about a man who died from choking shortly after winning a pet store's cockroach eating contest.

Maybe dolphins have fraternities that put them up to the octopus-eating stunts. Fraternities would also explain their penchant for sexual assault.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Eeew. Donuts with tentacles?

I remember reading an article about a man who died from choking shortly after winning a pet store's cockroach eating contest.

Maybe dolphins have fraternities that put them up to the octopus-eating stunts. Fraternities would also explain their penchant for sexual assault.
I wouldn't put it past 'em (dolphins or frat bros). I witnessed a bloke eat a live cockroach in exchange for a free beer when I was in college (in the Australian sense: basically the closest equivalent we have to being in a frat is living in a residential college). I'm sure he became a prominent lawyer or something.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
The sad part about the girl who died (she was the one in the pancake eating contest) is that apparently, her dad was one of the victims from 9/11...

Can you imagine the grief the surviving family is dealing with now? :(

Back on topic - I watched that video about the dolphins and it was really amazing footage - 30 years to develop that ability. So smart!

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
There's a reason why in aquariums, sharks are allowed in with other fish while dolphins are separated from as much as possible. Dolphins are, scientifically speaking, total assholes.
If you're an intelligent animal, imagine how boring an aquarium tank would be after just a few days.

I'd be an asshole, too.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
They should reboot sharknado with dolphins instead, and double points if the only way to stop them is with octopus.

Though, to be fair, they are delicious.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
They should reboot sharknado with dolphins instead, and double points if the only way to stop them is with octopus.

Though, to be fair, they are delicious.
You shouldn't eat too much dolphin tho. Very high mercury content.