Looking for new laptop/tablet for writing, any recs?

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been scouring ye olde interwebs for reviews or any word at all about the "eduGear Onebook XR2N1C". It caught my eye, but I want to know more about the thing before I drop any cashola on it, because, like, I wanna be a responsible human with my cashola. You get me? This one fits my budget and has everything I might want in a new writing device, including smallness and portability. I lurve me some small devices!

I have Googled and searched and generally dared go where no one has gone before (2nd page of a Google search!? :eek:), but there are no reviews that I can find! It's giving me second thoughts. My hope with this post is that some of you good people have better Google-fu than me, or more experience in this area, or even a better recommendation for a small, modern, tablet/laptop-like device with a keybaord that fits my ridiculously tiny hands!

Help me, please, someone, HELP ME!? :'O

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well... I've never heard of eduGear Onebook before. For me personally, I only go with brands that have already stood the test of time. But that's just me.

Anyway, I found some details on it on the Staples Canada website (presumably same place you found it). The specs seem quite good for the price. The only thing I'd flag for further consideration is the 64GB SSD. Is 64GB going to be enough for you? Only you can answer that, obviously. Unless I'm mistaken, that 64GB will be eaten into by the Windows 10 OS, too.

If this is literally just for writing, then I don't see it as being much of a problem. I mean, a novel takes up very little space.

Actually, I just noticed one other thing that might be worth considering: How to get your programs / files onto the new laptop/tablet. I saw no mention of a DVD drive, and only micro USB... So depending on how you want to get your programs and files onto it, that could be something worth thinking about.

For the price, it seems quite good to me. But yeah - it really does depend on exactly what you want out of a new machine, and how you're planning on using it. I'm sure there are just-as-good value-for-money deals out there for the next step up (bigger storage capacity, better-known brand, more ports, etc.).

pattmayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattmayne.com
I love my Lenovo t420 laptop. I think the t430 is just as good.

The keyboard is amazing and it runs smooth for an old machine. I put Linux on it so it runs smoother.

It's the best keyboard I ever typed on. It has a 14" screen. I think the t5 series has a 15" screen and is a similar machine with identical keyboard.

EDIT:

I liked it so much I wrote a blog post about it:

http://pattmayne.com/blog/"New" Laptop! Review of Refurbished Lenovo T420 with Ubuntu/

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I think for something a little more modern, a Lenovo Yoga is the biggest bang you will get for the buck. It can be used in tablet mode, and you can even fold the screen back over the base if you want, but it's a full blown laptop, and it's really fast - cold boots in a few seconds. As far as the build quality, it's about on par with a Macbook.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I like to suggest the good folks at https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/. There's a text form that you fill out with your preferences, needs, and wants, and then you post that in the subreddit. You'll end up with several good suggestions. I did that with my most recent machine and was pretty happy with what I ended up with.