Does my new concept have legs?

Iconoclasm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I used to write prolifically in the Historical Romance genre, until a three year dry spell. For my New Years Resolution I told myself to write a new novel - so I began writing something contemporary, which was a first for me. I'm 60k into a book set in modern day Whitby in North Yorkshire. Very run-of-the-mill love triangle story. Then, two nights ago, I had this huge flash of inspiration for a story set in the Tudor court. I was so inspired that yesterday I wrote 5,000 words solid.

Below is the premise for the story. My question is simple. Do you think it has gumption?

The story centres around two sisters, Joan and Eleanor, from the gentry class of England. The elder sister, Eleanor, is betrothed to James, a highly eligible young aristocrat. However, Joan is naively in lust at first sight with James. One night, they're at a banquet/feast, and Eleanor is violently raped. James is found at the scene, accused of the rape, and so the engagement is called off. But Joan is so convinced of his innocence that she testifies in his favour at court, meaning that he is found innocent, and she is disgraced in the eyes of her father (who, rightly, believes he is guilty). Years later, once both sisters have grown up a little, the characters meet again. It would then follow the relationship between Joan and James, as a romance develops, but he continues to deceive her about what happened during the night of her sister's rape. They eventually wish to get married, but in order to gain her father's permission, James has to find someone to blame for the attack.

So it's a mystery 'whosdunnit' in essence (the fact it was James all along won't be revealed until the end) with some romance and some serious social commentary elements.

Does it have legs? Do you think there's a market at the minute for this type of thing?

Thank you for your time :)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
One problem I see with the plot is that if Eleanor and James were betrothed and he raped her, I wouldn't expect her family would call off the wedding--they'd be more likely to grab the nearest priest and marry them at once. In fact, in a civil sense they'd likely be considered married as soon as he raped her--they'd already promised to marry each other publicly, so the consummation would seal the deal.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
James is a douche. If you could fix the issue Marlys pointed out (I wouldn't have noticed, since I'm not up on what time periods that was a thing), I would read this, IF:
*I knew all along that James was the rapist. I would hate to be rooting for the two and thinking he was a nice guy, wrongfully accused, then BAM!, find out he's a doucheking. If I did know the truth, but Jane didn't (does Eleanor know who raped her?), I'd totally read to find out how she discovers it and what she does about it.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
What Marlys said.
Could you have him rape someone else? That would make it more plausible for the wedding to be called off.
I don't know enough about Elizabethan criminal proceedings to know if Joan would be testifying. Is she giving him an alibi? But if he's found at the scene, how could she?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Marlys is spot-on. Look up "words of the present" and "words of the future." As recently as the Tudor period in England, betrothal was the legal commitment and the marriage ceremony itself was less important. I like the scenario of hauling the (?) rapist and betrothed off to the priest and "solving the problem" that way.

If it works for your story, might they later discover someone else raped Eleanor? Someone perhaps who would have looked or smelled or felt like James in the dark? Raping the fiancée is not terribly heroic for a guy who's going to be your male MC throughout.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why doesn't Eleanor know if it was James? And I agree, depending on the era, the marriage would not likely be called off. It wasn't that long ago it was legal for a man to rape and physically assault his wife.

Zoe R

Fluffhead! Fluffy fluffy head!
Registered
Reaction score
Would Eleanor really not tell her sister who raped her? It seems hard to believe she would testify against her sister in such a manner, enamored or not. If James and Eleanor are engaged already, would it have even been considered rape back then?

What if Eleanor confided in her sister and wanted out of the engagement, so she tells there father she was the one James raped, and so she is married off to him - getting the man she still likes and saving her sister. The story could be about her marriage to James when she knows he raped her sister. But even that's a hard story, unless you make James a complex character with redeeming qualities that somehow outweigh such a negative.

Iconoclasm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thank you for this - it's certainly food for thought.

Eleanor doesn't know it is him (she's been put to bed early because she drank too much at the feast, left without a chaperone, and the culprit begins while she is sleeping, pinning her down so that she can't physically lift up to see who it is). Added to that, they had only met on three previous occasions so it wouldn't be an 'intimate' relationship in any sense yet.

James denies it - which is enough for his father to call off the agreement. His father is an earl, whilst Eleanor's father is only a knight, so it is easy for James/father to break off engagement from a position of status. I will change the bethrothment to being 'in the final stages of discussion' rather than there being any written agreement yet. I know from my own studies that these agreements can take months to be settled, especially in terms of the dowry.

I will change the trial scene to being an 'informal gathering of both families the morning after' where Joan, in a moment of thoughtlessness, sticks up for James. She regrets it and is punished by her father for doing so.

As to knowing that James is the culprit, I understand what you're saying with that one, but I think such an important part of the story is that he is deceiving Joan (the only POV character) and therefore the reader also. There's so much I want to do with his character arc that, by the time Joan finds out later, he's a different character. He isn't a sexual predator essentially - he was drunk and he did something disgusting but that doesn't make him evil.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
One night, they're at a banquet/feast, and Eleanor is violently raped.

He isn't a sexual predator essentially - he was drunk and he did something disgusting but that doesn't make him evil.
To put it mildly, this is going to be a tough sell. If you really want the premise to be that your rapist is really a good guy at heart, maybe change the circumstances. He gets Eleanor alone out in the shrubbery, she's blackout drunk and he takes her lack of struggle as willingness, the 16th century being devoid of training in 'if she's incapable of consent, it's rape.' She has no memory of what happened, but people see him hurrying away from the area of the gardens where she's found and suspect he's the perpetrator. It'll still put a lot of readers off, but it's not quite as repugnant as trying to redeem a violent rapist.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Why doesn't Eleanor know if it was James? And I agree, depending on the era, the marriage would not likely be called off. It wasn't that long ago it was legal for a man to rape and physically assault his wife.

Hell, just today a Malaysian MP and former judge suggested that rapists and their victims could solve social problems and “turn a new leaf” by getting married.

“Perhaps through marriage they can lead a healthier, better life. And the person who was raped does not necessarily have a bleak future. She will have a husband, at least, and this could serve as a remedy to growing social problems,” he was quoted in the local daily, the Star.

So yeah. This shit isn't confined to history.

Honestly, there's no way I could get behind Mr. Rapey McRapenstein as the LI. "He was drunk" isn't gonna cut it for this reader. If I get to the end and find out he was the rapist ... that book's getting thrown against the wall and there's a damn good chance I'm not reading anything else by that author.

eta -- To clarify: I can buy this being historically accurate. But like it or not, your audience is reading through a modern prism. Some might find it okay, but I suspect many more won't.

Last edited:

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid I agree with Marlys and Be Frank. While anything can be done if handled well, I would be extremely put off by the LI in a romance novel turning out to be the heroine's sister's rapist. Especially without some sort of major deliberate redemption arc.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
This might be interesting, but just like the others, I wouldn't want to have to accept James as a good guy. In fact, I'd despise Joan too, for choosing to believe a powerful, wealthy, young and handsome man – in other words, a person who has every advantage under the sun – over her own sister, unless the sister is devil incarnate (maybe not even then).

Also, "James has to find someone to blame for the attack" – is it just me, or doesn't it sound horrible? I'd love to see this concept turned on its head. The lovebirds, James and Joan, blaming some completely innocent guy, and the guy turning out to be a complete scoundrel who murders James and robs Joan with Eleanor's blessing and help... lol

the bunny hugger

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering where the romance is, as James is the villain? A romance is about two, possibly flawed, but good people committing to each other.

If this is about Joan finally wising up, it is more a historical or historical women's fiction.

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering where the romance is, as James is the villain? A romance is about two, possibly flawed, but good people committing to each other.

If this is about Joan finally wising up, it is more a historical or historical women's fiction.

There cannot be a Happily Ever After for a rapist.

Now, if once Joan finds out, she and Eleanor conspire to get revenge on James, that's a concept. Honestly I'd like to see them figure out a way to kill James without getting caught, or at least maim or ruin him in some way. Hmm, given the precarious politics of the Tudor era, framing him for treason could work - especially fitting since he tried to frame someone else for the rape.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe his efforts to frame the innocent victim are misinterpreted by government agents as efforts to plot against the government? "Find me a man who can take a message" "Tell no-one what you do, and who you are acting for" and "Do all of this swiftly and secretly" could be taken as part of a plot, especially by paranoid people, looking for conspiracies.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Yes to what others have said about the historical realities of betrothal being the key factor and rape being minimised or invisibilised.

My feeling too would be that if you begin the novel with rape -- and this is why scenes involving gratuitous rape are so problematic in any kind of fiction -- I would as a reader remain preoccupied with Eleanor and how she deals with the trauma of rape and her sister's betrayal and the ongoing presence of the rapist in her life. How would she be able to recover from or work through the rape, how would she ever trust a man or her sister again, what are the chances she would enter a convent or become reclusive or plot revenge to get justice? How prevalent was sexual violence at that time in that place?

And I wouldn't find it easy to shift into a romance or light erotic scenes, that might leave me feeling the rape had been trivialised. I'd find it hard to consider the younger sister Joan as a MC because what happened to Eleanor is major and still unresolved. I wouldn't be interested in James unless I thought he was innocent and then I would want the real rapist found and punished. And if I then found that the rapist was James after all, I'd feel misled and a little queasy. Because once rape is introduced in fiction, it is all about the rape. It has to be.

Last edited:

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
A bit of encouragement: it has legs but still crawling ☺️

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
In addition, Eleanor would be strongly motivated to cover up the rape, since it would hugely damage her marriage prospects to anybody but her rapist. Maybe she would tell a close friend or sister, but she wouldn't want it to be public knowledge.

For an illustration about how rape cases were treated in Early Modern times (albeit in 17th-century Italy rather than Tudor England), look up "Artemisia Gentileschi".

Iconoclasm

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the (very) delayed reply. I think, ultimately, the idea didn't have legs. I would never trivialise rape, just for the record. That wasn't my intention, so if it came across that way then I do apologise.

Thank you for all your comments and discussion. It's always good to know something isn't going anywhere before writing it.