• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader for 91k Near-Future Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamGlass

Registered
Reaction score
Like it says on the tin, I'm looking for a beta reader for my 91k fantasy, GODSFALL. It's a modernization of multiple mythologies, with an LGBT+ romantic subplot. It's been through a couple drafts; grammar/spelling things should be very few and very far between. I'm mostly looking for the big picture stuff: are the characters interesting/dynamic, is the plot moving at a decent pace, does everything flow well, etc. etc.

As far as swapping goes: I'm looking for a quick turnaround--a couple of weeks, ideally, and I'll be able to do the same. I prefer to read SFF, but I also enjoy suspense, thrillers, and some contemp. No erotica or YA romance.

I've included a short blurb below. If it sounds like something you might be interested in, shoot me a PM! I figure we can swap first chapters and see if we want to go from there.

------------------------------------

Blurb:

The first god fell from the sky on August 30, 2028, smack in the middle of London. By the time British Armed Forces took it out, nearly two weeks later, the entire city had been decimated.

After twenty years and dozens more godsfall events, the world is a husk of what it once was. To carve out a living in one of the few remaining cities, Rowan Key, an amoral mercenary with voices in his head and fire at his fingertips, puts his knack for strategy to use taking odd jobs for odder people. Good, bad, legal, illegal—he’s not one to sweat the scruples when the price is right. They bring the brawn, he brings the brain, and everybody walks away with a nice chunk of change.

One night, after a heist well done, he’s welcomed home by a colonel with the Anti-Deitic Coalition, who uses a face from Rowan’s past as leverage to blackmail him into joining the ADC’s Hail Mary of a science experiment. Their mission? To use people like Rowan, ones with godsblood in their veins and the preternatural abilities that come with it, to eliminate a rampaging goddess before she reaches her full strength and unleashes it on the city of Nashville. And if hunting a goddess with his patchwork team of Godsbloods wasn’t dangerous enough, the whispers in Rowan’s head have news for him:

The goddess is hunting him, too.

Last edited:

SamGlass

Registered
Reaction score
Heads up--I'll have a few weeks off before school starts back, so if anyone's looking for a quick turn-around on a beta, let me know.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Um, I'm not interested in beta-ing, I just wanted to point out that any "god" who is capable of being killed by a human probably isn't a god. After all, gods are spirits, not material beings with superpowers.

Gods are whatever you want them to be. It's your universe, your book, your fiction. And there are counter-examples to your definition as stated.

Tolkien famously objected to "dwarfs" over his original "dwarves," though the publisher claimed to be just following the dictionary spellings. That held no water for Tolkien, because that spelling did not represent what he wanted. The advantage of your world is that you set the rules. That doesn't mean the reader can't object or find your rules silly, but they have no power to change the way you create them.

This story doesn't seem terribly different from an alien invasion story.

The OP didn't ask for a critique of the concept, and since you specifically said you didn't want to beta, I'm not sure what the point of the dismissive comment is.

Shay Dee

Registered
Reaction score
What @davidjgalloway said.

Also, Sam, if I had the time and not been sitting on two other projects, I'd defo sign up. I read your first chapter snippets and I thought it was great! If this is still here when I'm done with the two stories I'm currently reading, I'll be sure to hit you up!

Laiceps

Busy doing nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Do you still need a reader? I don't have anything for you to beta back right now, but I'll do it anyway. I like the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.