• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writer's Block - It's Been Holding on for Ages!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a great idea. I've developed it a little. Now i'm working on developing the main characters. My problem is my short attention span. I add a little to their profile, then move on to something else. Some days i don't work on it (sometimes i wonder if it's related to Writer's Block. I stumble into Writer's Block often). This happens all the time when i'm working on anything and everything. Any advice? How can i overcome this?

RedDragoness

Not your mother's dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Work on something else for a while. The minute I shift my attention to another writing project, I'm suddenly *dying* to work on my original thing. I do my best writing for A when I'm working on B.

Good luck!

Comanche

Huh??
Registered
Reaction score
. . . My problem is my short attention span. . . .

My goodness - do I ever identify with that.

This morning, I sat down with unencumbered hours before me. Lots of time to work.

I put in about one solid hour of writing - and it wasn't bad stuff. Then the wheels came off, I got distracted by this, that and anything else. It's not that I am bored with the project - I just seem to have the attention span of a three year old.

Oh yes - this forum is one of the distractions.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
hmm. I wish I could tell you something that could be helpful - but I'm deep in the soup. I can offer (((hugs))), though.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, but it may be because I've just gotten to the middle of the story. I know the beginning and the ending, but dealing with that middle part is always a slow process. Right now I am taking a break for a bit. Hopefully, I'll be ready to be back at it soon. Reddragonness, I like your advice about working on something else. Vicky 271, do you have something else you can work on? I may do that. (Until I get stuck with writer's block on the other project!) ;)

Jamills08

Registered
Reaction score
When I get blocked I feel like my muse has run its course so I try to find new ones. My muses are random people I come in contact with though so that might be kinda weird

Tinuviel

A someday author wannabe.
Registered
Reaction score
When I get blocked I feel like my muse has run its course so I try to find new ones. My muses are random people I come in contact with though so that might be kinda weird

I'm the same! Except my inspiration often comes through places and only sometimes people.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Write! No more profiles, no more outlines. Pick a scene from your plot and write it. Doesn't have to be the beginning. Your characters will become real instead of assemblages of attributes. Then you'll want them to go on an adventure, and won't want to stop.

laura12

Registered
Reaction score
Write! No more profiles, no more outlines. Pick a scene from your plot and write it. Doesn't have to be the beginning. Your characters will become real instead of assemblages of attributes. Then you'll want them to go on an adventure, and won't want to stop.

I agree with morngnstar, just start and then go back to your profiles later.

Spookyboo

Registered
Reaction score
I can not remember where I read this piece of advice (I would give credit where it is due) but I read that a good way around writer's block is too simple to have many projects to work on at the same time. If you have let's say 8-10 diffrent works (short stories,novels, outlines, blogs ect...) then you always have at least one of those projects that should work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.