Ambitious April - 500 words/day or editing - all genres welcome

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Saorise. :hooray:

And well done everyone else. Sounds like a lot of words were written this weekend. Well, by everyone except me. I'm still changing my MC's POV.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Worked on copy edits today. The copy editor will be unhappy with me. (I'm not changing much. Really. Just...well. A few words here and there. In every chapter. IT'S MY LAST CHANCE, PEOPLE.)

I am reading the story aloud, back to front. Bits of it are not as awful as I remember. (My goodness, but my self-promotional skills could use some work. :D)

Go, everyone! :e2cheer:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Thanks, everyone!

Now if I can beat this looming depression over my job situation, I'd be all set.

muse - Hugs.

Liz - It's not as awful as you remember. In fact, I bet it's awesome. :D

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - here's hoping your job situation improves soon.:Hug2:

Worked on copy edits today. The copy editor will be unhappy with me. (I'm not changing much. Really. Just...well. A few words here and there. In every chapter. IT'S MY LAST CHANCE, PEOPLE.)

I am reading the story aloud, back to front. Bits of it are not as awful as I remember. (My goodness, but my self-promotional skills could use some work. :D)

Go, everyone! :e2cheer:

Here's to last chance changes, liz! :greenie

No edits or words to report today. I shall do better tomorrow.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I have actually been quite good with the words this month. I've just been very bad at reporting it on this thread.

1,089 words written before the day job this morning!

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shara - congrats on the word count, and I love your book covers. Gorgeous!

I have actually added words to my MS today - 2,476, to be exact!:banana:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You guys are killing it with the words! :hooray: :hooray:

I read 28,000 words out loud today. I now sound like I've been smoking since I was 8 years old.

And my mom read the non-copy-edited draft and declared it "sad." Mwahahahaha. :)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liz - That's a lot of words to read aloud, yikes.

Awesome wordage muse, Brechin, and Shara!

So today I wanted to get my print cover put together. I use Photoshop and have for many, many years. Well, the compatibility between it and Windows 8 was shaky at best, but I was able to keep it going...until today. Less than a week till release (granted, the print edition would still be a bit late, seeing as I at least would need to get one proof, but I was hoping to minimize that by getting the work finished TODAY). Anyway, Photoshop crapped out on me and NOTHING would fix it.

So I broke down and bought the Adobe Creative Cloud thing for $10/month. I figure I can theoretically cancel if money gets too tight, but right now that's my only option. I know there are other programs, but 1) I need layers and 2) I've tried a bunch and nothing works for me except PS.

So, I don't think my downloads will be done for HOURS, so today's a bust. :(

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sorry about the Photoshop, Saoirse. I've been limping along with Creative Suite 5 for years, and it's become so flaky. Stuff always crashes at the worst possible time.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read 28,000 words out loud today. I now sound like I've been smoking since I was 8 years old.

And my mom read the non-copy-edited draft and declared it "sad." Mwahahahaha. :)

LOL. Here's to making mother's sad. :greenie

So today I wanted to get my print cover put together. I use Photoshop and have for many, many years. Well, the compatibility between it and Windows 8 was shaky at best, but I was able to keep it going...until today. Less than a week till release (granted, the print edition would still be a bit late, seeing as I at least would need to get one proof, but I was hoping to minimize that by getting the work finished TODAY). Anyway, Photoshop crapped out on me and NOTHING would fix it.

So I broke down and bought the Adobe Creative Cloud thing for $10/month. I figure I can theoretically cancel if money gets too tight, but right now that's my only option. I know there are other programs, but 1) I need layers and 2) I've tried a bunch and nothing works for me except PS.

So, I don't think my downloads will be done for HOURS, so today's a bust. :(

Sorry your photoshop crapped out, Saoirse. (I'm still trying to figure PS out.:Headbang:)

Hope the downloads are speedy.

Managed another 892 words today.

LuckyStar

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write by word count. I usually write by scene. I write until I have nothing further to say. So, one scene, or more scenes a day, when I'm writing. I find research takes up most of the time when writing. It would go much quicker if I didn't have ten/twenty tabs open checking everything while I write.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:hi: LuckyStar! Welcome to the thread!

I got through another ~18K today (85 pages), which leaves me about 150 pages to go. (I also figured out how to make iBooks on the Mac read to me, so that kind of saved my voice, although I'm not sure it's quite as effective as reading it aloud myself.) Probably won't be able to finish tomorrow, but maybe by Monday. Then I double-check my changes and send it back. Sniff.

AND THEN the last 2K on WIP #2, and the synopsis for WIP #1, which I'm hoping to send to my agent sometime in May.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Shara - congrats on the word count, and I love your book covers. Gorgeous!

Thanks muse! They are all from MuseItUp Publishing, designed by the awesome Charlotte Volnek.

I was at a work function last night and was in a hotel instead of going home. Got up a bit earlier than I had some and did some writing in my hotel room, in my pyjamas (felt very indulgent!) before jumping in the shower and heading off to the office, which as it happens is next door to the hotel!

I got 1,128 words written so not having to commute was clearly good for my word count.

I am currently about 50 words shy of the 3,000 word a week target. But the weekend's coming up, so maybe I can squeeze a few words out to hit my target!

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't write by word count. I usually write by scene. I write until I have nothing further to say. So, one scene, or more scenes a day, when I'm writing. I find research takes up most of the time when writing. It would go much quicker if I didn't have ten/twenty tabs open checking everything while I write.

Hi, LuckyStar.:welcome:

I don't usually write by word count either - I work in scenes in scrivener - but I purposely checked my word count yesterday because I was fed up having nothing to write here. :greenie.

As for research...I usually highlight those parts and colour them green and move on. Then, on days I can't get motivated to write I indulge in hours of research.

Liz - good luck with the last 150 pages.

Shara - I doubt you'll have any trouble reaching your weekly target.

I finished one scene today and am working on another. It's one I've put off for ages, but I'm determined to at least flesh it out tonight. Wish me luck.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome LuckyStar!

I'm a die-hard wordcount counter, but I realize other writers may not work that way. ;)

Thanks for the well wishes on PS.

It seems to be working pretty well, except the program has changed SO MUCH. I was pretty confused for a bit before I figured stuff out. I was ready to submit my cover when I realized the cover art had an issue I didn't notice so tonight I'll be fixing that. And finding a free PDF program.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
GOOOOOO TEAM! :e2cheer:

I was up at 3 am this morning, writing a song on my guitar :Guitar: for a musical I'm thinking about doing.

I also wrote 767 words.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, everybody!

I got through 97 pages today. Only 52 pages left, but I tend to be less productive on weekends. Still, I should be on target to finish by Monday.

I think it kind of works. At the very least, I think I'm telling the story I want to tell.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you were able to figure out the new PS, Saoirse. Good luck with fixing your cover and finding a free PDF program.

Brechin - congrats on the song and the word count.

Liz - telling the story you want to tell is all we can hope for with our work. Wishing you luck with the last 52 pages. You can do it!

I resolved my problem scene, which has thrown up a few more problems in later scenes. (I think my subconscious already knew that and that's why I was procrastinating so much with it.)

On the bright side - the new problem has opened up a whole other thread I can pull. I lurves me some thread pulling. :greenie

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Good luck with the pulling, muse!

Finished my edits tonight. :e2woo:Going to spin through the change list to double-check and run the thing through spelling/grammar one last time, then send it back.

Tired now. :e2faint:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Liz! I just finished the edits on one of the threads of New Book and I'm all :hooray: Taking the rest of the day off, and spending tomorrow prepping the next thread. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, mccardey! :hooray: :hooray:

Sent my edits back only to discover that I have to get the permissions for some quoting I'm doing (I'd thought the publisher was responsible for that, oops).

Last edited:

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Nice work everyone!

Print proof is on its way.

Ever Touched is LIVE on Amazon and the other ebook stores.

:gnaws on fingernails:

congrats!!!!!!!!

I wrote 962 today.

I have a tendency to write out single lines that I've thought of onto cue cards and then they get lost in a pile of cue cards. The same is true of titles. I'll think of a title without any story to go with it. So, I separated these quotes of mine and the titles into two piles, and picked one of each at random, and using them, I write a piece of flash fiction.

Last edited: