Ambitious April - 500 words/day or editing - all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Because you can't start an April thread on April 1st.

So! March. Was a thing. Whee! How did it go for all of you? Did you meet your goals? Change them? Struggle with them? How was the month?

What about April? What would you like April to hold for you? Can we help you achieve your goals?

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
March was very productive. My goals became sort of amorphous but I got quite a bit done.

My goal for this month is to just keep writing. Given my current rate of progress, I'd like to finish 4 chapters. If I get on a roll, 5. I feel I'm pushing it if I try for more. I figure that's accurate. Chapters 1 to 5 took from the last week of January until the end of February. Chapters 6 to 9 took me to the end of March. If I could get 10 to 13 or 14 in April, I'd call it a good month. The odd numbered chapters always take longer to write in this specific story.

647 today. :)

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I ended March with a bang, and started April in the same fashion - a FFC thread has blossomed into over 10K words in less than a week all in! A bit drained now though, so will likely not be as productive for the next few weeks. LOL

But it all evens out, right?

500 words per day = 3500 words/week = 14K words/month

So, even if I only get 4K more words between now and the end of the month, mission accomplished! :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
March was March. I got the words I wanted, and I am very glad that I didn't have to show them to anyone in the state they're in.

April is Editing Month. I have two beginnings and two synopses that need editing, including 9 chapters I need to ship out to beta next week. I'm trying to stagger things, so I can let one WIP marinate while I work on the other. My goals:

1) Edit WIP #1 (my prequel) and ship to beta
2) Edit WIP #1 synopsis (some of the details have changed)
3) Edit WIP #2 (Book 4)
4) Edit WIP #2 synopsis

I think this is all doable for April, but when I finished my Book 4 drafting, I realized I needed to rearrange events and re-POV a couple of scenes, so that's going to involve a lot of rewriting. If all goes as planned, though, I should be able to get to that around mid-month.

Today: Edited 5 chapters of the prequel. I...kind of like it?

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
March was a rest break for me. I did finalize my cover and blurb which were the goals, and also did a bit of writing.

This month is ALL THE EDITING for Ever Touched's release on May 1st. I cannot believe we are less than a month away!

I'm 25 pages in.

Also, found out today at work that we've lost two of our biggest food lines and 90% of our income as of May 1st. I don't know what they're doing about this, or what that means for my job yet. I suspect they may fold as both owners are of retirement age (one is considerably older, actually) which means I am out of a job. But we'll see. Maybe something good will come from this.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Wrote 459 words. Not that impressive. Recently I've found that I'm in this rhythm of distracting myself until it hurts and then writing until the pain goes away.

I also found this great deal... Blake Crouch's 3 novella collection Good Behavior is available for Kindle on Amazon for an amazing price. $1.20 here in Canada. $0.90 in America. So once I've finished A Darker Shade of Magic I'm going to start it.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - fingers crossed your job is safe.:Hug2:

March was spent mostly with promo work for my debut book. There never seemed to be enough hours in the day to write/edit. For April I'd like to change that. I want to finish my WIP and get back to editing my 2nd book.

Anyone got some extra hours they'd like to sell me? :greenie

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Oh, dear, Saoirse. I will think of you. I hope something works out and everything stabilizes in a good place.

Got through a first pass on WIP #1. Tomorrow I want to read through it again and make some larger structural notes.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Edited 3 chapters today. I'm about mid-way through, but I still have a few chapters to write. (Can you tell I'm putting them off? :greenie)

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
Writing at 6k words per day over the last week. Probably most of it sucks but I enjoyed it ☺️

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, everybody! Slaven, that's quite a total! :hooray:

Did another read-through today. I'm now at the "OMG IT'S HORRIBLE" stage, where I'm mostly rearranging deck chairs. I do have some notes to implement, but it's pretty close to being beta-able. I'm also coming up with plot/character/subplot stuff, which is nice, but is going to make it hairier to redo the synopsis.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liz - I know that feeling all too well. And hugs on the synopsis.

Slaven - Holy cow that's a lot of words! Awesome!

muse - Yep, I do the same thing sometimes, lol.

Up to page 66. Slightly ahead of myself now.

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm still surprised myself. Maybe it's due to a genre switch. However it continues, today's total is around 5k!

lizmonster, just be patient, it will come to you.

Saoirse, keep it up buddy!

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Slaven - go you! Congrats on the word count. :Clap:

Liz - I hate those moments of self-doubt. :Hug2: Congrats on being almost finished, and good luck with the synopsis. *shudder*

Saoirse - whoo-hoo! Keep keeping ahead of yourself. (Yes, I did write that sentence and yes, it does make perfect sense to me, but it's been a very loooong day. :greenie)

I'm edging closer to the chapters I've been avoiding - 2 scenes edited today.

Last edited:

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, muse! Went through your novel on Amazon, looks interesting. I have to free some space on my ebook shelf (read, read, read!) and I'm definitely going for it.

Beta reading? Would be my pleasure if you need more eyes.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Slaven! Nice total!

muse - It makes perfect sense! :D Yay for editing scenes!

Today I'm up to page 78, still a bit ahead but hit a roadblock. Will tackle tomorrow when I'm feeling not so stressed out.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You guys are all awesome and I am so burned out am I the only one who is totally burned out?

I sent my 20K off to my betas yesterday. Wasn't going to do it until Monday, but I was just shoving words around, you know? At some point you need someone else's sledgehammer for the thing.

Today I have stuff to do and I don't want to do any of it.

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished my 40k novelette. It's a baby that will grow into 60k novel.

One beta reader - a person that inspired me for the MC. If that goes well, finishing up shouldn't be a problem.

The system looks odd perhaps. I usually write fast until I get the solid structure. The plot, a subplot and main scenes. If everything is connected well I go to expanding my subplot and characters background, subsequent scenes etc. to get the draft no.1. Then I go with style finesses and expanding the literal value of the script.

Today at 3k plus editing ☺️

Last edited:

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - hope you can get through that roadblock tomorrow.

Liz - you're not the only one who's totally burned out. I'm messing around from one project to the next and not getting ahead with either of them.

Good luck with the betas.

Slaven - congrats on finishing your novelette. You really are storming along. +3k plus editing today. *Faints*

Thanks, muse! Went through your novel on Amazon, looks interesting. I have to free some space on my ebook shelf (read, read, read!) and I'm definitely going for it.

Beta reading? Would be my pleasure if you need more eyes.

Hope you enjoy the book when you get it.

I need a lot of eyes for my current piece, so if you're up for it I'd love if you'd take a look.

Ooops, almost forgot to post my progress. I got a lot of work done on some scenes last night, then I hit a wall. Shall get back to it this evening.

Last edited:

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are all awesome and I am so burned out am I the only one who is totally burned out?

I've felt like that on occasion.

Typically, it's after days of nearly no sleep, buzzing off of ridiculous levels of caffeine (like if caffeine consumption was an Olympic sport, gold metals would give me a spine deformity) and I've written tens of thousands of words without seeing sunlight or other people, coming off a hypomanic episode, and just burnt out; my abused, unshowered, ink-stained, exhausted body propelled by its own will rather than mine collapses into bed with a strange ache inside until I fall sleep. Then I take the next day to recover, get back on my schedule, work in a consistent and meticulous fashion until the hypomania kicks in again. And the cycle begins again.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:hooray: Well done on the novelette, Slaven!

muse, sometimes it comes in fits and starts. I'm sure tonight will be better.

Brechin, I treated myself to a day off today, of sorts. Watched a favorite movie, and took some notes to write a review of it (hey, blog content!). Made some notes on WIP #2 and decided to start it slightly differently. So no actual progress, but some thoughts about progress. And I do think the alterations to the opening will work better.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So I've slept on my ideas, and I've realized I need to pretty much rewrite what I've got for WIP #2 with a different focus, and that's actually not a bad thing because I'm kind of excited by it now.

I really should be working on the WIP #1 synopsis, but I think I'll move on to the WIP #2 editing, which is going to really be redrafting. I can do 15K in a week, surely. :)