Why are young adult books so popular on Tumblr?

Sweet Escape

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure how many people here have been using Tumblr. It is sort of a blog site but not really. You can post things yourself but you can also reblog from what others posts. Graphics, gifs, text posts etc. And there are so many people who discuss books, tv shows, movies.

What I have noticed is that when it comes to books there seems to be such a big fanbase when it comes to young adult books. I see many people post things and getting reactions from young adult book series such as The Raven Cycle , The Foxhole Court , Six Of Crows, Throne Of Glass and various others that people talk a lot about and make (beautiful) graphics of.

But why is it that adult books don't get the same attention? I have seen the book The Secret History which is an adult book having some attention, but not popular enough. Besides that, there isn't much.

Are young adult books more popular than adult or new adult books?

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding of Tumblr is that its user base skews very young adult to begin with, so that would be my guess.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there are a lot of young users there. I think it also depends on who you're following, since their content ends up your feed. Personally, I don't see much of anything about books at all.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use Tumblr myself, but in general, it seems that YA readers and writers tend to do more with social media than other age categories.

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I get the sense that it's a combination of things. A big part of it is that younger readers tend to gravitate towards both YA and social media, but it also stands YA is moving to reflect viewpoints that are shared by the tumblr community (notably, there's peen a push in YA to represent female characters, LGBTQ folk, and POCs, which is inline with tumblr's values), and that a lot of YA authors are very active on social media and make a concerted effort to engage with their fans on these platforms.

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Guess getting on Tumblr would be a good idea if we write YA. I've been thinking I need to get on goodreads too and start giving some reviews (I just check it out a lot now). So many places to invest time/energy and not always clear where it's best spent (not clear to me anyway).

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
My tastes skew YA, but there's plenty of adult book 'fandoms' there too -- the Discworld and Robin Hobb fandoms are going strong, as are the Captive Prince folks and the fandoms for VE Schwab's adult works.

Any books can have a fandom there, particularly books that are diverse and/or very shippable. There's a really strong hunger for diverse characters, diverse sexualities, and powerful narratives about equality and feminism. I remember Laura Lam's "Pantomime" books built a lovely following on there due to its intersex protagonist and diverse fantasy world.

pbandj

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with everyone else. Lots and lots of young adults in addition to the fact that a lot of YA lit is increasingly incorporating LGBTQ+ characters and POC characters, which is wonderful.

Foolish Dog

MATADOR, COMMUNIST, BROKEN CAPS
Registered
Reaction score
Same reason Wattpad is so overrun with YA romance and 1D fanfiction. Young user base leads to those kinds of things.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. I have a tumblr, but I'm not super into that subculture, but I just generally believe that all the really innovative story-telling is currently being done in the YA genre. While not perfect, YA has a more diverse range of protagonists, allowing people of all ethnicities, faiths, and orientations, to be the star. In addition to the above, the YA genres tend to have more protagonists with disabilities as well. YA is taking on some pretty serious stuff regarding sex and human rights, whereas so-called adult genres seem to be content with having their protagonists contemplate things, but not really do a lot. YA lit plants their feet and says, "This is what I believe!" without feeling any need to soften their words, whereas adult genres tend to be all milquetoast, too afraid to be bold because what if someone might take it the wrong way? And again, the genres outside YA seem to be dominated mostly by White characters, more often White Dudes, though Romance and so-called Chicklit* is still ruled by the Ladies.

*An aside to say, I really hate the term Chicklit. It's so demeaning and it further implies that while stories about guys are universal, capable of being appreciated by anyone, because of the messages they convey about the human condition, but stories about women can only be appreciated by other women, because it's not like being female is part of the human condition at all. :eyeroll: