Domino's Wins Food Concession...at Pompeii

Domino's Pizza in Pompeii? Or, What Does Your Gut Say?

• Yay! Pizza. (I'm fine with it. All that walking makes me hungry.)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I would prefer pasta. (Oh, hell no.)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • o.O (You can't be serious.)

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
This week, Pompeii will open a section of regio VII to the public for the first time, including a well-preserved villa called the House of the Wounded Bear. In past summers, Pompeii has opened Roman era thermopolia, or fast-food stands, selling food to the public like in ancient days. Regio VII borders the forum, and there are thermopolia and bakeries with intact ovens near by. So to celebrate the newly visible portion of the city, they're doing the food thing again, this time with, you guessed it, pizza.

Domino's, which has finally gotten a foothold in Italy, opening three franchise operations in Rome and Milan, has won the concession. Since so many tourists to Pompeii are already familiar with Domino's, it seems they've ID'd the perfect (in their eyes) promotional opportunity, including a big donation to the Soprintendenza Pompei, whose task it is to "safeguard and enhance" the cities and sites destroyed by Mt. Vesuvius.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the world weeps as Domino's takes over Italy. What's next Olive Garden outside the Vatican?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think Papa John's is more appropriate to the Vatican.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Heartened it's not true, disheartened there are parts that are sort of true. Domino's in Italy? Gah. There's a Domino's in my neighbourhood that exists, and has for years, and I have seen the delivery people biking around. It baffles me no end.