• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bloodhound Books

SeaSerpent

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this one up. Does anyone know anything about them?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No personal experience, but a browse around their website reveals that they're a UK-based entity in business since late 2014, specializing in mystery and crime fiction. About 70 titles listed on the website, a fair number of which are by its Founder and Publishing Director. Last year they launched the imprint Bombshell Books, which handles women's fiction, chick lit and romance (although it appears they have yet to publish under that imprint).

Usual small-publisher language in their "about us" section stating they aren't a vanity press. Primarily an ebook publisher although they also offer POD and pay "industry-leading royalties," whatever that means.

Their two editors seem to be the only staff members with a publishing background. Their cover designs range from not-so-good to decent. Most of their ebooks on Amazon retail for about $2.99; sales rankings seem to be in the low to middling range.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I had an offer from the a year or so ago. Perfectly professional and friendly but I didn't take it for two reasons:

they wanted to retain a share of the film rights and I wanted to retain them
I was a little concerned that the publishing scheldule was tight and would leave me under pressure as I thought the book needed a little more work.

No significant alarm bells though, just personal preference.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The film rights issue is a bit of a red flag, though. Those aren't a publisher's to exploit; a publisher is only there to release a book in print, whatever the format. Film and other rights are another ball of wax entirely and should be negotiated separately, preferably with an agent present. Contracts for both my books spelled out specifically those rights remained mine.

Prmspen

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed a publishing contract with them. They've been very easy to deal with, and royalty rates are at the upper end of industry standard.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you willing to be more specific about royalty rates as stated in your contract? I'm not ashamed to say I don't really know what percentage is currently the industry standard for ebooks (or POD books, either).

Did they make a rights grab for movie adaptation?

Oh, and before I forget, congratulations on your sale!