The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AprNoWriMo 2017 - Campers & Non-Campers welcome!

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar

AprNoWriMo 2017 - Campers & Non-Campers welcome!

A new month is upon us, and it's time to set our goals (writerly and otherwise) for the next thirty days. If you're doing the April Camp NaNoWriMo, be sure to keep us posted on your progress - if your Cabin isn't keeping you on point enough! For non-Campers, you're as welcome as ever.

My Camp goal is to get 30k words edited on the rough draft/rewrite of the fourth book in my fantasy series. Since my schedule will calm down somewhat after my show opens April 6th, I'm hopeful I can get even further than that, but we'll see. Now that I won't be stuck inside a dark theater all day long, I'm hoping to get some birding/nature walks done as well, and since I'm still going to be in that dark theatre most evenings with not much to do, I've beefed up my usual reading goal proportionally. So here's what I'm hoping to accomplish in April:

1. Camp Goal - 30k revision/rewrite of Book #4
    2. Three one-hour (or better) nature/birding walks
    3. Read five books
    4. Write at least one blog post
    5. Read at least three "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series per week
    6. Submit a short story to at least one market

What are YOUR April goals?
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing!
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

I am signed up for my first camp this year and found a lovely cabin but I still want to play here. I'm coming out of some bad mental illness juju so I've set a relatively low goal for myself this month...10,000 words. That should finish up the first half of my novel and then I can start editing. I'd really, really, like to get to editing this month.

Glad you're with us, auzerais!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

I'm a sparkly fairy princess! bettielee's Avatar
    well I'm not doing the cabin thing but I am editing a work I have faith in... and I need to go do that. But first, coffee....

I have a new blog! Reading, Writing, Rithmancy
    current post:Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

Current project: CAMP NANOWRIMO! Trying to finish a Gothic Romance (this is so old it's right again

Twitter
    And please add me on Goodreads!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Tamarind's Avatar
    My goal is to add 35,000 words to the novel I started for NaNoWriMo. I've managed to do 7,000 words since I set up my Camp account, so it's really a 28,000 word goal now. Still, it seems like a huge number and April is such a busy month, so much outside stuff to catch up on, I'm really trying not to think too much about how hard this is going to be.

Making magic with words arikdiver's Avatar
    1. Goals this month: Edit/re-write sci fi novel - 30,000 word goal.
    2. Read two books (so I have more time to edit)
    3. NYC Midnight Screenplay Challenge

I was also going to submit a short story to another competition, but I'm not sure I'll have time for that.

yes. an hour and a half of editing today

Current project: CAMP NANOWRIMO! Trying to finish a Gothic Romance (this is so old it's right again

Twitter

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    I put 50k for my rewriting goal. But now I'm worried the pressure to make words happen each day will make me include parts of the first draft instead of putting more thought into new scenes or big picture changes. Maybe I should change it to hours, but staring blankly doesn't feel productive either.

I wanted to hit 50k too for my writing goal, as I'm a very slow writer. I was already well into the WiP but figured adding 15k for the NaNo would be a (hopefully) doable goal for me. I did 550 words today, and that was after forgetting I was meant to be doing this. So I'm on track!

practical experience, FTW L. OBrien's Avatar
    My main goal is just to finish the MS I've been working on for the last year. As a result of a combination of side projects, distractions, and rewrites, I've been perpetually 10-15k from finishing since December, and I really want to finish so I can move on to editing and begin work on other projects.

If I can get that in order, I also want to outline the second draft of a different novel for the May session.

reading all the things Anna Iguana's Avatar
    Hi, all. My goal is also to finish the first draft of an MS which I've been wrestling with for months.

practical experience, FTW chompers's Avatar
    Of course I'm joining in again, both here and the Camp. March was abysmal and shameful. Need to make it up in April. Time to crack the whip.

2k a day.

A seadog looking for crewmates Elenitsa's Avatar
    Joining it for 30,000 words on the sequel of the just published novel. Title - "Other turmoils of life". Genre - western/ adventure/ historical

http://beforethemast.b1.jcink.com/index.php
    -A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies, open since August 2010;
    winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin technoglobe's Avatar
    My goal for the month is to get 50K for the new YA fantasy I'm working on. I'm also hoping to finish editing my novel from a couple Nanos ago.
    Projects
    MG Fantasy #1- Editing
    MG Fantasy #2- WIP
    Adult Fantasy- currently trunked

how is everyone doing on day 2?
    I edited for 1 hour 20 mins.... going really well

Twitter

Democracy Dies in Darkness Marlys's Avatar
    Hi, all! Hope I can jump in. I'm not doing the camp, but my goal for April is 20-25K on my main WIP. Will not work on secondary projects except on days where I get at least 1500 on that first.

But not writing this weekend. Needed a couple of days off after a crazy March.
    I'm a twit, too: @PearsonMarlys

I'm already behind a day, but I am planning on making it up somehow.

I think I need to keep it simple this month.

April Goals:
    • Hit my Camp goal.
    • Clean my office.

Constant Goals:
    • Changing sleep cycle/stop hitting the snooze button.
    • Write 1K words a day (currently at 13/52 weeks).

1. Do ... something for Camp. I really need to just pick a project and stick with it.
    2. Write 1 to 3 shorts for spouse-face, because they are precious and they're having it rough with The Anxiety(tm)
    3. Read through all those SSSFFSS stories I requested and tell the authors that they're awesome.
    4. Spend more time outside. Although allergies are already making that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bdwilson View Post
    I think I need to keep it simple this month.

April Goals:
    • Hit my Camp goal.
    • Clean my office.

Constant Goals:
    • Changing sleep cycle/stop hitting the snooze button.
    • Write 1K words a day (currently at 13/52 weeks).
    I'm so curious about your ongoing sleep cycle struggle. Do you mind expanding on what you're trying to do?

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

practical experience, FTW NicoleScripting's Avatar
    Goals:
    50,000 on Camp Nanowrimo story.
    Get critique on MG chapters
    2 short stories

Maybe:
    Add 10,000 words to MG
    Get short stories critiqued
    Query more short stories.

I'm pantsing it. Just felt the need to take Dan Harmon's writing advice from his AMA (bit NSFW). I was getting paid to ghostwrite things I really didn't like and even though I was miserable I stayed because instant gratification and money are things. Just feels like a good time for nanowrimo and finishing up my middle-grade story.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmig View Post
    I'm so curious about your ongoing sleep cycle struggle. Do you mind expanding on what you're trying to do?
    Mostly making a hash of it I'm kind of making things up as I go and not a lot of them are working.

On the side of things that have helped, I've started wearing safety glasses to block blue light at night (I was using f.lux, but needed to block screens where I couldn't install it), which has helped with falling asleep faster, down to under half an hour where it used to take two to three hours. That I've managed to maintain and I'm pretty happy about it.

To try and change the cycle, though, I've walked back when I was turning off the computer and going to bed, but I'm my worst enemy there. I keep dragging it out, even with Freedom installed to try and block things. So, then I shifted to walking back when I was waking up, in the hopes I would be tired enough to go to sleep earlier, but that didn't pan out. I just stayed up even though I was tired.

Lately, my problem has been that I'll do fine during the week and manage to be consistent about getting up and going to bed at the same time, and then I'll hit Sundays where I sleep in and have to recover. So, my current plan is to try and work on that. Part of it is stopping my snooze button habit. I've got a phone app called Kiwake that makes me get up. It worked really well to start, but I've started slacking.

I'm hoping if I can get rid of the sleep-in/recovery period I'll be able to be consistent, and then once I'm consistent I can start walking the time back again.

I'm my own worst enemy on this, though. Everything I've tried I'm managed to sabotage

Democracy Dies in Darkness Marlys's Avatar
    1500 words on DRINK FOR THE DEAD (main WIP). That unlocked the achievement of being able to work on something else, so started tinkering with a novelette I wrote last month.
    I'm a twit, too: @PearsonMarlys

practical experience, FTW Zoe R's Avatar
    40,000 words to finish the rough draft of the YA novel I'm working on.
    Clean up the world of the novel! This has been stalling me.

practical experience, FTW Sara K.'s Avatar
    My April goals, a little late:

• Write 15,000 words in shorts for Camp
    • Participate in Sci-Fi London’s 48 Hour Flash Fiction challenge (8th – 9th April)
    • Two blog posts in addition to the monthly writing review
    • Finish Viable Paradise application
    • Send pieces out for submission within a few days of rejection

The 48 Hour Flash Fiction challenge will be tough as I'm busy the morning of the 8th, and at the theatre in the evening of the 9th, but I guess I'll have to work with what I've got (plus, as long as I can come up with an idea, it doesn't usually take me too long to write flash).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast