AprNoWriMo 2017 - Campers & Non-Campers welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Alright, March was a rocky one, so I'm going to keep last month's goal. Let's do this.

My FOCUS: I am in the process of revising my giant robots project, so that I can send it out to betas. I'm so excited to get this done and sent out to them!

And while I'm at it... Hit my goal weight and the normal BMI range.

Last edited:

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
My FOCUS: I am in the process of revising my giant robots project, so that I can send it out to betas. I'm so excited to get this done and sent out to them!

A giant robots project sounds like so much fun!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
1700 on DRINK today. Then read over something else I wrote last month, and was pleased to find it isn't bad at all. Need to fix some setting things and add more description here and there, but the story seems solid.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually did surprisingly well on my goals this week, even with opening night of my show and my husband in town. I did so well on my Camp project that I passed my initial goal of 30k words, so I've upped the count to 60K. I read Charlotte Bronte's Villette and Grace Metalious' Peyton Place (didn't like either) and just for grins, re-read Little Women (although I'm not counting that one). I'm currently reading Anne Lamott's Halleluja Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy.

I didn't get an actual nature walk in this week, but I did walk down to the wholesale and retail flower markets on 28th Street, where I sniffed my lungs full of green growing things, even in the heart of midtown Manhattan.

1. Camp Goal - 60k revision/rewrite of Book #4 - currently at 44,817
2. Three one-hour (or better) nature/birding walks - not yet
3. Read five books - 2 of 5
4. Write at least one blog post - not yet
5. Read at least three "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series per week - 1 of 4
6. Submit a short story to at least one market - not yet

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Check-in time!

April Goals:
  • Hit my Camp goal.
    • I am keeping up with this. A little worried about the last two novellas, as they're both in NaNo-draft state, but it's coming along.
  • Clean my office.
    • I worked on it a bit yesterday. That counts, right?
Constant Goals:
  • Changing sleep cycle/stop hitting the snooze button.
    • I realized in my answer about what I was doing, most of my adjustments right now are about sleep habits more than the cycle. I'm hoping once I get the habits settled I can shift the cycle. On the plus side, I stopped letting myself hit the snooze button last week and managed not to. I also defeated my nemesis (Sunday-mornings), though I'm not foolish enough to think it's defeated for good :tongue
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 14/52 weeks).

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I'm horribly late with my April goals but either way, here they are:

• Finish client edit #1 CP.
  • Finish client edit #2 TH.
  • Finish client edit #3 OB.
  • Finish client edit #4 CR.
  • Go through short story PWP and finish up edits.

That's it for me. I might add some more writing goals after I finish the edits, but those edits are my priority this month.

Goals for the day:
- edit 50 pages in client edit #2 TH.
- edit 30 pages in client edit #3 OB.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never too late, eternalised!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

How I'll Achieve This:
[x] Incorporate PutPutt's feedback
[ ] Incorporate Muppet's feedback
[ ] Do one more big polish to bring this book in line with where it needs to be.
[ ] Send it out to betas.

And while I'm at it...
[x] Hit my goal weight and the normal BMI range.

-------------
Getting there, little by little!

I've also finished Hannibal and Castle Season 3, and I'm on track to finish Orphan Black. It's been a good TV month!

Last edited:

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
Checking in: written 11.2K words so far on main WIP, so on track for the 20-25K that's my goal for the month.

Did a pretty thorough edit of one of the novellas I wrote last month, and submitted it to one publisher to test the waters. It's a bit quirky so I won't be surprised if it's promptly rejected, but I'm curious to see what comments (if any) it might get. Of course, once I submitted it I thought of a couple things that probably would make it better...

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for your novella submission, Marlys!

Weekly update: as anticipated, I didn't get a great deal accomplished this week. My little visit home was wonderful, but it was hard to leave, and I was grumpy all day Tuesday because of it. I had a bunch of costume fittings and rehearsals the rest of the week (hi deedle dee dee, an understudy's life for me) so that really put a hole in my goal-reaching time, along with trying to find a place to stay for two weeks in May/June when the owner of my sublet needs to use the place. A friend came through on my request to use his place (he's out of town), so with that solved, I won't have to spend so much time studying the Craigslist and airb&b sites.

I moved some words around in my Camp project, which amped up the word count just a hair, but no real progress there. I'll do better next week.

I did finish a book: Anne Lamott's Halleluja Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy, which I just loved, and will probably read again the next time things go sideways. And I read my requisite three Guardian articles - really enjoying this series.

1. Camp Goal - 60k revision/rewrite of Book #4 - currently at 44,935
3. Read five books - 3 of 5
5. Read at least three "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series per week - 2 of 4
6. Submit a short story to at least one market - not yet

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Check-in time again.

April Goals:
  • Hit my Camp goal.
    • Still going strong. These last two are going to need a re-write, but I'm figuring out what will be necessary.
  • Clean my office.
    • Itty bitty steps forward.
Constant Goals:
    • Managed another week of not hitting the snooze button, until this morning :tongue To be fair, I tried to walk back my Monday morning time by half-an-hour and then decided it was a bad idea when I woke up. Also, I stayed up a little later, also a bad idea. I managed not to sleep in on the weekend, or the holiday Friday, though, so I'm counting this week as a win.
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 15/52 weeks).

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I realised I never posted goals. Probably a little concerning it's three quarters into the month before I decided to update >>

I am not camping, just have more normal goals. I wanted to focus on the editing this month, and while I am not halfway through (I've started the next chapter as well), two of those were basically in the last couple of days. So hopefully I can apply myself and keep it rolling.

Read book is Max Gladstone's Four Roads Cross. Was nice to go back to known characters instead of a new set. I started reading Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam but I'm just not getting into it. I don't know if it's one of the poorer ones or it's just been so long since I read any Discworld. I've got the second book in Genevieve Cogman's Invisible Library series now though.

Game planning is going well (game sessions less well, but not so badly my players hate me as yet. Will be glad when this mystery is over though :p).

1. Edit six chapters. 3/6
2. Read five books. 1/5
3. Game creation/sessions. Yes.
4. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day. So far, so good.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

How I'll Achieve This:
[x] Incorporate PutPutt's feedback
[x] Incorporate Muppet's feedback
[ ] Do one more big polish to bring this book in line with where it needs to be.
[ ] Send it out to betas.

And while I'm at it...
[x] Hit my goal weight and the normal BMI range.

---

Closer and closer to the goal. Looking at a pace of 3-chapters-a-day to get this out to betas by month end. It won't be easy, but I'll do it.

Come at me, April!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Real Life took a BIG bite out of my writing time this week - on Wednesday I ended up having to go on in the Broadway show I've been understudying (with only four hours' notice and NO put-in rehearsal) in the leading role. Most of those four hours were spent trying to run lines and review staging while the wardrobe and wig crew got me ready to go on. I ended up doing three performances, and most of it is still a blur. By the third performance I'd settled down enough to enjoy playing a starring role on Broadway, but the experience was so surreal that I'd almost think it didn't happen except for evidence like this:

07f4bf34-0b51-4637-9c8a-33730d469341.jpg

Fortunately our lead has recovered and is back now, and I've returned from the rarefied atmosphere of the star dressing room to my little station on the theatre's fifth floor.

Prior to the proverbial shit hitting the fan, the week had been pretty productive: I had written about 1k on my Camp project, read my requisite Guardian articles, submitted a short story to Shimmer Magazine and surpassed my reading goal (read Lincoln in the Bardo, which I loved, and two Discworld books).

I was actually packing my birding bag to go on a nature walk (goal #2) when I got the email from my publisher saying "oops, forgot to mention that the FISKUR cover reveal is today." :e2smack: So I had to drop everything to do a social media blast, update my website, etc. (The new cover is in my sig below.) Now I have to write the dedication and acknowledgements pages for FISKUR, so I've added that to my goals, and suddenly the end of the month seems to be LOOMING. Not sure I'm going to get those walks in or that blog written by April 30th, but I'm going to try.

1. Camp Goal - 60k revision/rewrite of Book #4 - currently at 45,442
3. Read five books - 6 of 5 DONE
5. Read at least three "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series per week - 3 of 4
6. Submit a short story to at least one market - DONE
7. Write dedication and acknowledgement pages for Book #2

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
April Goals:
  • Hit my Camp goal.
    • Hit my target this weekend. I've added a stretch goal to give myself something else to work on for the rest of the month.
  • Clean my office.
    • Not so great here. I keep "forgetting" and running out of time.
Constant Goals:
    • Walked my wake-up time on the weekends back and hour and have managed a little earlier during the week. I need to somehow shift some of the things I do in the evening to earlier in the day, so I can walk back when I go to sleep as well.
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 16/52 weeks).

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I finished both The Masked City and The Burning Page by Genevieve Cogman. I read the second while I was meant to be doing other things and ended up in that book daze you get at the end of good books but it's not really the end because it's the middle of a series and... Took me a while to shake myself out of it :p I also read The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-Mi Hwang (translated by Chi-Young Kim), which I picked up in adult fantasy because it looked interesting, but it turned out to be a fable/children's. It was very sweet, just not quite what I expected!

I started another book, realised it was a book 2 within the first chapter, and now have to wait for book 1 (my library has it, but needs to come from another branch). So probably won't get my reading goal completed this month.

Editing-wise I've managed another chapter. I'll definitely get the fifth one done this weekend, but probably not the sixth unless I find myself really enthusiastic.

Game planning is about the only thing I'm ahead on. Makes sense as it's the break from the hard creative stuff. I even wrote a short story type thing (no idea if I'll give it to my players as yet. Don't want them to feel obligated to read it).

1. Edit six chapters. 4/6
2. Read five books. 4/5
3. Game creation/sessions. Yes.
4. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day. So far, so good.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, MrsMig!

Another bust month for me. Life also got in the way. It resulted in some blood shed and me cursing at 2:30 in the morning.

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I made my 20K+ goal on main WIP for the month, although I'm not sure I handled some important scenes as well as I might. Did a pass through another novella I wrote last month--it still needs some work, but is in pretty good shape. A few days' work on side WIP as well. So, can't complain. April went to plan, more or less.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shoulda, coulda, woulda - it was that kind of a month. We're just shy of the end of April (Eastern Standard Time, anyway), and I'm not going to make my 60K Camp goal. I should have just been content to have hit my original 30K goal, but Life Is What Happens When You're Making Other Plans.

I did pretty well on other goals, achieving them all except the blog post (I've got fodder for one, certainly, after having to go on in my show, but that's the kind of thing you have to be circumspect about lest you piss off The Big Producers). I smashed my reading goal and am calling my walking goal achieved even though I did one three-hour walk instead of three one-hour walks (I spent most of last Monday strolling in Central Park, which was lovely). I got a swift but kindly rejection to my short story submission, and think I'll continue reading the "My Writing Day" series in The Guardian in May.

Speaking of May, I'm off to start that thread. Hope to see you all there!

1. Camp Goal - 60k revision/rewrite of Book #4 - fell short at 53,875
2. Three one-hour (or better) nature/birding walks - DONE
3. Read five books - 8 of 5 DONE
4. Write at least one blog post - not done
5. Read at least three "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series per week - 4 of 4 DONE
6. Submit a short story to at least one market - DONE
7. Write dedication and acknowledgement pages for Book #2 - DONE

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Check in now we're in the May thread:
1. Goals this month: Edit/re-write sci fi novel - 30,000 word goal. - fell short at 25,000K
2. Read two books (so I have more time to edit) - Completed
3. NYC Midnight Screenplay Challenge - Completed (although it was a lot harder than I thought).

So even though I failed at camp, overall I think I made good progress :)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
April Final Tally:
  • Hit my Camp goal.
  • Clean my office.
    • Got the main reason for this done this weekend: I moved my desk to a different side of the room so I no longer have to lean over it to open the window. Still needs work, though.
Constant Goals:
    • I actually did a good job on this one. Other than yesterday, I wasn't hitting the snooze button and I've managed to drag back the time I wake up on the weekends. More progress needed, but this was good.
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 17/52 weeks).

I'd have liked to have crossed more things off, but decent progress over all.

Status
Not open for further replies.