Epistolary Horror Beyond Dracula & Frankenstein?

RedDragoness

Not your mother's dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Any quality epistolary style horror novels out there besides the Big Two?

I'm thinking of rewriting my ghost story as epistolary since it's multiple POV anyway, and want to read some that are well done. I'm already re-reading Dracula for the third or fourth time and I have to say, it really stands up even over a century later. I don't usually get scared by books but this one is giving me chills, despite having read it multiple times!

I realize epistolary is not for everyone, and it's not a traditional way to do horror, but figured I'd ask if anyone has any they recommend.

TIA.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Carrie (Stephen King's first novel) has an epistolary structure.

JKDay

Registered
Reaction score
World War Z (Max Brooks) has what I suppose could be described as an epistolary structure, although the commonality with Dracula/Frankenstein is pretty minor...

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The St Germain vampire novels also use a lot of letters.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Lotz "The Three" comprises of individual first person accounts which are similar to, although not quite epistolary. Yet she's much closer to Dracula/Frankenstein structure than SK's Carrie.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
The Whisperer in Darkness by that prophet of indescribable dread Lovecraft is a bumpy ride in epistolary form.

phyrebrat

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of Lovecraft does follow this style.

In more recent fiction - though set in the days of the Puritans - I remember buying an excellent companion 'prequel' novel to The Blair Witch Project which was a collection of letters and/or diary entries from the 16/17 hundreds. (Just checked online - it is called The Curse of the Blair Witch by Frank Pastor). I can't recall much of it, except that I did enjoy it very much.

pH

JoeBrat

JoeBrat
Registered
Reaction score
I never read Carrie. I didn't realize it was an epistolary novel. I tried to write an epistolary structured story in high school and it was a disaster. I think I just might give it another shot one day.
A friend of mine told me about a book called Bats of the Republic. I'm not sure if its a good read but he seemed to enjoy it.