AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Willing Beta Reader and Potential Critique Partner, YA SFF

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Willing Beta Reader and Potential Critique Partner, YA SFF

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a long-term critique partnership and I thought I would offer my services as a beta reader in exchange for a future swap since my WIP is not currently ready to be beta-read. I write YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy (soft sci-fi, low fantasy to be more specific) and would be interested in partnering with someone who shares the same genre interests. I also really love reading Historical Fiction (WW2 books are a particular weakness) though I've never tried writing anything historical as of yet.

I don't have extensive experience critiquing, but I do feel that I have strengths in dialogue and character development. I'd be happy to take a look at your first chapter to see if we'd be compatible. I am fairly honest about what doesn't work for me, but I'm always constructive.

Some of my favorite books are:
    The Book Thief (by Markus Zusak)
    Vicious (by V.E. Schwab)
    Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom (by Leigh Bardugo)
    Code Name Verity (by Elizabeth Wein)
    Wolf By Wolf (by Ryan Graudin)
    Bone Gap (by Laura Ruby)

If you think we'd be a good match (or if you just want to talk about my favorite books, that's cool too ), please send me a PM.

Thanks

Avsong
    I haven't read Sci-Fi in a lot of years, but when I did, it was for a several years long period before I sort of drifted away from the genre.
    I am new here but am willing to give it a try for you.
    You said you liked historical fiction and WW2 stuff, I have just wrapped up (finally) a family saga where MC is medically retired Marine who goes through WW2 AND KOREA,
    and needs a critique, at least to find out if i have the making of a story or have just been spinning my wheels.
    If you would like to try exchanging, we could give it a try. if it doesn't work, we just walk away.
    Doug

Hi, are you still interested? I LOVE The Book Thief, Vicious, and Code Name Verity, and I write the same genres. I'll PM you also.

Quote Originally Posted by avsong View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a long-term critique partnership and I thought I would offer my services as a beta reader in exchange for a future swap since my WIP is not currently ready to be beta-read. I write YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy (soft sci-fi, low fantasy to be more specific) and would be interested in partnering with someone who shares the same genre interests. I also really love reading Historical Fiction (WW2 books are a particular weakness) though I've never tried writing anything historical as of yet.
    Just a quick question. What exactly is soft sci-fi/low fantasy? Can you give a small explanation and a few examples?

Thanks!
    The Voice of the Inka
    YA Historical Fiction w/Time Travel
    Done @ 74k words
    Still needs some work but coming along

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryLvr View Post
    Just a quick question. What exactly is soft sci-fi/low fantasy? Can you give a small explanation and a few examples?

Thanks!
    I would qualify low vs high fantasy is the difference between something taking place in our world(low fantasy) or secondary world(high fantasy). Though that may not always be the case in relation to consistency and the epic scope of something. Like I consider Harry Potter High Fantasy even though it takes place in our world.

Soft SciFi - Philip K Dick

Hard SciFi - Peter Hamilton

High fantasy/low - this distinction tends to be more difficult and usually relates to the tone, as in how grounded the narrative feels. Often that is associated with secondary or primary world and/or magic level but not always
    "Though one evil spirit may drive a woman out of Eden, all the devils in hell cannot drive Heaven out of a woman."

-- George MacDonald

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelidae The Otter's Avatar
    In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all eternity.
    I would qualify low vs high fantasy is the difference between something taking place in our world(low fantasy) or secondary world(high fantasy).

Hmm. I always saw it as high fantasy being more the traditional Tolkien-esque, light vs. dark, save-the-world type of fantasy, and low fantasy being more like George R.R. Martin--less focused on magic and epic world-saving battles, more focused on ordinary "human" things like politics, more moral ambiguity. The distinction is not very clear cut, though.

Are you still looking for someone? I have a completed YA Contemporary, and I'm also looking for a beta reader / future CP!

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing. The Grump's Avatar
    Hi ... I'm starting a new book soon, and am looking for an on-going critique partner. The last group, I was in submitted about 3,000 words every other week, but they developed health and/or career issues and disbanded. [How's that for a run-on sentence?]
    My Book Blog: me muttering at Lessons from My Reading with fantasy book reviews from a writer's point of view.