Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Phone conversations

Phone conversations

Anyone have any creative ways to deal with phone conversations in a script? Seems like I've got a lot of them. I've stayed away from split screen and mainly used (V.O.) because the dialog on the other end is important.

Not really. You can also intercut between the two. Just write something before the conversation like "Intercutting between John and Mary, on the phone." You don't have to decide who's on screen when, unless there is some point in the conversation where that is important. Otherwise, the film editor and director can figure that all out.

I like that.

practical experience, FTW
    A couple of cautions about using a lot of phone calls: First, they break the "show don't tell" rule. Second, they aren't particularly interesting to watch unless there is some associated action (like duct taping the victim to the chair while talking on the phone) but even then cutting back and forth can start the audiences head spinning. Finally, keep them short. The rule I was taught was to write the phone call with as few words as possible then cut out half the words that remain.

Just my thoughts.

Doug B

One of the best phone call scenes I can think of.

https://youtu.be/dB4__mvTyL0?t=1m43s
    Bob Mueller
    Books | Web | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Author Instagram | Personal Instagram
    I am slowly building a Twitter List of AW members.

I'm just about done with my first draft. In the next draft I'll probably have to think of a way to eliminate half of my phone call scenes.