Rural America: The Survival Guide

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
The short version of the story is that I'm living once again in a conservative part of the country (USA). It's not necessarily too small or disconnected from opportunity, just that it's very conservative. Nothing has ever been better for my WIPs. My sanity on the other hand, not so beneficial for that. I've had no luck meeting mature/intelligent adults. Once you scratch the surface there has been the discovery that the other person holds a dealbreaker worldview or we just have nothing in common.

It hasn't panned out well. People here seem to have a super narrow view of what you can talk about socially, so it's also difficult to have authentic new encounters with strangers. For example, I met a woman my age in a piano bar who was clearly stone. I thought that was a good sign. The conversation seemed to be going well, and then she completely shut down because she decided I was anti-Jesus. I'm not anti-Jesus. I'm more like disenfranchised-by-his-peeps Jesus.

Anyway, I still have social needs and am willing to try new things or brainstorm. Are there any others out there living in highly conservative areas that are willing to share some ideas or tips?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in rural-ish Mississippi for 11 years. 90% of my friends grew up elsewhere and were transplants themselves. I spent a lot of weekends out of town or doing things that didn't involve social interaction, such as kayaking, bicycling or writing. But for the most part, I had to live with the fact that just about everyone was going to have some dealbreaker or other in their closet. It came down to which dealbreakers I could live with (but avoid if at all possible--don't discuss relationships with this one, politics with that one, religion with this other one) and which were "spoil the whole damn bunch" dealbreakers and it was best if we pretended we didn't know each other.

It wasn't all gloom. We were fortunate to have a university in town, so we had a community theater where I found some stimulating interaction. Some of the theater crowd had a writing group that met on the fourth Friday of each month. It was a cool group and I was sorry I didn't meet them until a few months before I left.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
We were fortunate to have a university in town, so we had a community theater where I found some stimulating interaction. Some of the theater crowd had a writing group that met on the fourth Friday of each month. It was a cool group and I was sorry I didn't meet them until a few months before I left.

I honestly haven't tried the community theater yet. That's a great suggestion I'm going to go look into now.

ETA: It's all musical theater. Definitely a "spoil the whole damn bunch" dealbreaker. ;)

Last edited: