• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Veltre Company (fmly Artists Literary Group) (Joe Veltre)

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Okay, I looked really hard and could only find mention of this agent/agency on Jackie's list of fantasy agents (which I love BTW, thanks Jackie!
biggrin.gif
) Has anyone had any personal experience with him?

Here's what I know: he has several good sales listed on agentquery.com, has a $ next to his name on P&E, he's not a member of the AAR which can say both everything and nothing, and this is his website: www.algmedia.com

That's pretty much it. Anyone have any other info?

Thank you,

Maprilynne

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Joe Veltre has announced the establishment of a new literary agency, Artists Literary Group, LLC (ALG) in New York. Veltre has a background in literary representation, including book and film properties, as well as in editorial and foreign rights. At Miramax Films he held positions as both a film executive and Editor-at-Large for Miramax Books. Prior to that, Veltre was Senior Editor at HarperCollins and St. Martin’s Press. Most recently, he was a Literary Agent at Carlisle & Company, where he also served as the Foreign and Film rights director.

Google Artists Literary Group ;)

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
One of the Good Guys

A solid agent with good creds who has opened his own shop, and a gentlemen besides--even if he did reject my partial! (Aww, wipe away that tear--someone more appropriate accepted it.)

Joe has been around a while and is expected to be around even longer. As to the lack of AAR membership--well, lots of people aren't.

Query away!

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
You're welcome, Maprilynne!

I think Joe's going to be at the Backspace Conference this summer in NYC...

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Youy have to submit through their website, and it appears to not be working right now, atleast not from the computer I am using.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I received a (well-deserved) rejection on a full, with a short but sweet letter explaining why. I plan to query him again after my revisions/rewrites are done.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, internet explorer brught up the microsoft outlook program e-mail, which I didn't have set up anyways. So, that did nothing at all.

Then on Firefox, the submit button on their submit page did absolutely nothing.

I_Shrugged said:
It seemed to work for me. Could be the computer or maybe it went hinky after I did it. (I have that effect on things sometimes.)

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that does. thank you very much, as I did not see the e-mail adress myself there.

I_Shrugged said:
They must have their form set up to access Outlook (whether they have other software in their coding, I don't know.)

I went back to the site for you and it says:

" If for some reason you experience problems with this submission format, feel free to answer the questions below in an email and send to us at info (at) algmedia.com."

Hope that helps, and good luck.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, thank you again, but for some odd reason, the e-mail doesn't even appear to work. I tried two times, and it keeps getting sent back to me,(failure to send.)

I_Shrugged said:
They must have their form set up to access Outlook (whether they have other software in their coding, I don't know.)

I went back to the site for you and it says:

" If for some reason you experience problems with this submission format, feel free to answer the questions below in an email and send to us at info (at) algmedia.com."

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
They don't respond unless they're interested (which I imagine is really frustrating if their submisison sheet isn't working) and even though I used Joe's personal e-mail (he's reviewing my full) he still took almost a week to get back to me. They're very busy these days . . . you know, unlike every other agent.:)

Maprilynne

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Joe is on the ball! E-mailed Joe a query on Friday 5/31, he got back to me with a request for a partial on 6/4.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I mailed the partial on 6/4 and his assistant called today (6/8) with a request for a full and a 30 day exclusive. That's damn speedy. I agreed to the exclusive and sent the full off about two hours later. Here's hoping he likes the book!
Prawn

jenstrikesagain

Registered
Reaction score
The Texas Republic, The Dallas Experience
Hi all,
I queried Mr. Veltre close on a year ago and haven't heard anything (a couple of chatty emails from his assistant, who seems very nice, saying they swear they'll get back to me soon). I know he's a Big Deal (TM) and I don't want to be a pest. Can I write to him again? Is this like normal? Or should I just assume no news is thanks anyway kid? Sorry. Galloping anxiety about this one. Thanks.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Was it a snail mail query or an e-mail query? I e-mailed him a query and got a reply back in a few days. He ultimately rejected me, but it didn't take him a year to do so. Would it be silly to e-mail him the query? You could rework it and e-mail him.

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
Joe requested a full from me about a month ago. No word yet. I hear he sends back form letters on fulls a lot of the time. I'm also hoping I don't fall into that category of NEVER hearing back. Ugh. That would suck. Good luck everyone! I'll let you know how it goes!

HLReilly

Joe requested a full from me with a bio and a synopsis included with my MS. My question is whether the synopsis should be brief like you would include in a query letter, or should it be a detailed summary of everything that happens in the book? Also, his assistant is the one that sent the request to me, so should I send this addressing it to her or directly to Joe?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My guess would be that it should be a detailed synopsis, about 1000 words would be a good target. At this point a short e-mail asking them what they want would not be out of place.
It is pretty common for assistants to do the requesting, I would still address the full to Mr Veltre when sending it.