Aussie Rules Footy

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. All aboard the tiger train, toot toot!
:Clap::Clap::Clap:

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Cheering for the Tiges! Not really a Richmond fan, but anyone against the outsiders.

Except for Collingwood, of course.

Funny you should say that - I feel the same but in reverse, anyone against the Vics! LOL. Hence why I was barracking for Adelaide today. This year hasn't gone my way one bit :p Maybe that's called karma or something.

That was one of the more 'drubbing' Grand Finals I remember watching - definitely not a close game in the end!! It was like the Crows just switched off after quarter time almost. Very odd. Maybe they just had nothing left in the tank after a long season? Either way, Richmond were outstanding today and it was great to see all those salty, salty man tears being shed :D

It was pretty cute seeing some of the supporters, particularly little kids, in happy tears, too.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I have tears in my eyes right now, and this isn't even my bloody club!

YAY, AJAYE!!!

FTR, Official attendance: 100,021

Plus thousands and thousands packed into Punt Road. Party time in Richmond tonight!

Apparently Brian Taylor said that it was the first Grand Final involving an "outside" team (e.g. not Victorian) to have over 100k since the 80s or something. Of course, he was totally mistaken about that, what with Freo's Grand Final a few years back having over 100k too ;)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I reckon the tears from Brendon Gale and Matthew Richardson (and Jack Riewoldt last week) will make me cry for the next ten years.

- - - Updated - - -

Even Brian Taylor didn't give me the shits today.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Look at all you Aussies coming out of the woodwork on Grand Final day. :D

Wow, Tex Walker. I don't think I've ever heard a shorter speech from the losing captain.

Lots of boos for James Hird.

What a year Dusty Martin's had! Coaches Association award. Brownlow medal. Player's MVP. Norm Smith. Premiership.

I was quite surprised by how short Tex's speech was. He was a bit begrudging really, compared to my darling Matthew Pavlich at our Grand Final loss :p

and yes, those boos for James Hird were pretty amazing. I think he deserved every one of them but still, I didn't really expect to hear that.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
ajaye, I was moved by Richo's tears as well - I think especially for those players who missed out on playing finals and/or in a Grand Final, it would have been a particularly moving moment, and I think it'll keep THEM smiling for months and/or years to come as well. :)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I love how Richmond has become a real club again. We had such a toxic culture for so long. The new bonding and respect throughout the club is what got us into the finals. I think I love that even more than the flag. (Well, maybe.) So good to see all the VFL boys pulled into the circle to sing the song in the rooms. :heart::heart::heart: Tigers.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Love the new Dusty pic! What's good for your team is they're young. You didn't have any oldies hanging on. Assuming your culture is better than the doggies and you take their drop-off this year as a warning, I reckon you'll be in the hunt for a few years yet.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Now wouldn't that be nice!

On Offsiders Waleed Aly noted the similarities to Geelong. Internal review... keep coach... appoint Neil Balme... flag... etc

eek!

And Caro said we shifted from a team that harped on the negatives to one that honed in on positives. So happy with that attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

oh yes, the youth is a delight!

Jack Graham you star :D

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
One of the girls who was at the Grand Final party said she's been with her hubby 7 years, and he has spent those whole 7 years whinging about how unfair Richmond has it. She said, "You don't understand, THEY HAVE TO WIN." I can see where she was coming from! At least he won't have anything to whinge about for a while. :)

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any more awards Dusty can win this year? :D He's had a pretty epic year so far!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Got miffed no Richmond players named for international against Ireland, then heard Dusty declined so his body could have a break. That's ok then.

I'm still doing a double-take when I remember we won the premiership. Bloody hell. :D

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the trade period is done, and my team pulled off a pretty epic last-minute 'swindle' (well, it wasn't really a swindle! :p Come on, pretty boy Weller was worth pick #2 ;) ) so I can officially say that my team has got its shiz together at last, in terms of trade time. Things are looking up for Freo in general! Finally the powers that be get to do things the way they want to, build a team from scratch, etc., and with precision. It's only taken us two decades to get to this point!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh just saw these last two posts, I gotta pay more attention!

OH follows the off-season trades and drafts much more than me - I'm still luxuriating :hooray:.

Ouch wasn't the gals' game excruciating after Mooney's top innings! Then the soccer last night - love Kerr's zest for the game.

And now the boys get to play. Ashes thread, anyone?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
YEEEEEAH!! Footy's back, baby!

The 2018 AFLW season kicks off tonight with Carlton vs Collingwood. Woot!

Last year's opener was a lockout, with several thousand fans being turned away at the gate. The Freo game (for next week, I think?) has already pre-sold 40,000 seats. And still, the AFL head honchos and Channel 7 seem to underestimate the interest.

So, are we all looking forward to getting back into it? Or is ajaye coming to realise that the start of the 2018 season means 2017 is now well and truly in the past?

Side note: The Outer Sanctum podcast women are doing an hour every Saturday (11am-12pm) on ABC radio during the women's season (at least, in Victoria). Well worth a listen!

AFLW.jpg

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Ha! Hi, Lil. :hi:

I'm actually around today (I have an internet connection and everything!), but I'm about to disappear for an hour or so. Back soon!

Hopefully ajaye comes along in the meantime to keep you company! :D

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...well, maybe I'll go eat some dinner.

Nice to see you, though. Even if only for a moment....

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
until September (at least :tongue) you may call us the reigning premiers.

- - - Updated - - -

and kneel at the altar of Dusty

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Love this game. Love having footy back. Love watching the girls shine.

Love booing Collingwood. :)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Ugh! Had to go out for dinner, and missed the whole match! (We usually would've turned it on to watch, but there were special "visitor" guests, so we were all pretending to be polite). And now I've missed the whole replay too.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Well that stinks, BF! It was a good game. Tough, contested footy like last year. Skills a little better. Low scoring again -- this game at least. A report (Collingwood's D'Arcy, she'll go ... sorry but you can't kick your opposition in the groin). My fave player was teeny tiny Georgia Gee for Carlton, cos she's so teeny tiny. Vescio played well and so did Harris. Mo Hope doesn't seem able to stick her marks any more, which is a shame cos I like Mo, even in the black and white.

Oh and Eddie was there, so I was really glad the pies lost. :)