Aussie Rules Footy

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
My other half barracks for Carlton and I have no soft spot ... they're terrible. He'll be amazed if they win a game this year. :)

I did um and ah over the Bulldogs vs Sydney GF rematch. Sydney always tends to play really badly in round 1, so I discount their first up performance. I wasn't overly impressed with the doggies last weekend. It's a risky pick, but I'm tipping for Sydney being up for revenge after last year.

West Coast has such a better away game than people give them credit for. Every time we win an away game (see: against North, last week) it gets no attention. But whenever we lose one, we get labelled "flat-track bullies." This really bugs me, because not only do we travel more than any other team (and much farther), the teams we lost to last year when travelling were like Sydney (SCG), Hawthorn (MCG), Adelaide (Adelaide), GWS (GWS), Geelong (Geelong). All great teams, all with as much a home-ground advantage as we have. Hardly anyone beats those teams at their home grounds. *shrug*

I've no idea why no one comments when Hawthorn loses every away game (not that they play many), but we cop it.

TL;DR even if WCE vs St Kilda was played in Melbourne, WCE would have been odds-on favourites to win.

- - - Updated - - -

See, that's the attitude Jaymz should have!

Step 1: Pick a team. I feel the dapper bird-headed man needs a bird-themed team. Personally, I recommend the Eagles (I'm biased). Other choices: Adelaide Crows, Sydney Swans. You are not allowed to barrack for the Collingwood Magpies though, lest you be ... ostracised.
Heh. I know enough to know that Collingwood is the Manly of AFL, so that wasn't a risk.

This would technically be Adelaide country here, I think. Crows it is then. (Birth country wise I should be a Swans supporter, but bleh.)

Yep, and skillz.

- - - Updated - - -

:)
Skillz I got. Now what?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
This would technically be Adelaide country here, I think. Crows it is then. (Birth country wise I should be a Swans supporter, but bleh.)

Go with Adelaide. They just won the inaugural women's comp and I reckon the men are set for a big year. As a plus, they're exciting to watch. Great game style, some freakishly good players.

Not Richmond. That's my father's and brother's particular privilege. St Kilda and the Roos are enough to be getting on with in the punishment stakes. *sighs*

Yeah, not a good first round for either team. I'm not sorry about North's thumping loss though. I rather enjoyed it. :D

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like we should add a link in the OP.
Done. :) It's bloody good that clip.

Is it wrong that I laughed when their example of how the scoring worked involved Carlton scoring 120 points?
Nup.

Heh. I know enough to know that Collingwood is the Manly of AFL, so that wasn't a risk.

Skillz I got. Now what?
Oh I didn't mean you needed skillz, I meant AFL as opposed to NRL :) . Hey Crows are a good choice, and you're on top of the ladder :D .

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, not a good first round for either team. I'm not sorry about North's thumping loss though. I rather enjoyed it. :D
And your Weagles want to pummel St Kilda this week. Poor Sian!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Good luck to your boys tonight, ajaye.

Though if you could help me out for next week with a couple of one week injuries and/or suspensions (I'm looking at you, Dusty), that'd be great. 'Kay, thanks. :D

I flipped to Fox Footy earlier and they were showing the Magpies v Tigers match from last year. And I was all, like, "Oh yeah! I forgot about Brody Grundie's last second goal to snatch the game!" Pretty sure you haven't forgotten it...

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks BF! Hell we've got you next week - at least it's over here. I suppose. Ermm.

Yeah I just saw a clip of that *#$! goal from last year. I reckon I could happily throttle Joffa and his gold coat. And Eddie. And Buckley. :D

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Mr. BF (bitter Carlton supporter): "Funny how scoring's not so easy for Richmond when they're playing against a competent team."

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. BF (bitter Carlton supporter): "Funny how scoring's not so easy for Richmond when they're playing against a competent team."
Ha ha ha ahh aaaaaaaah aaaghh

:rant:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
How's your blood pressure going?

It's lucky the Pies are kicking so atrociously.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Blood pressure through.the.roof in the last quarter. That was bloody hard work. I hate these Thursday night games, need the next day off to recover. Yay tiges.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yay, Tiges!

That last quarter was quite the thing. I was getting stressed, and I was only an impartial observer. With about 5 minutes to go, I thought to myself*, "If this were a WCE game, I'd have no nails left."

(Now lose next week, please).

* As opposed to all those times I think to someone else. Heh.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
It was a great last quarter - now that I look back. Not too enjoyable at the time though. No bitten fingernails but lots of swearing at the telly - esp when Eddie was ranting :) .

Nice game from Cotchin. Dusty :heart: please don't go. Nankervis was a good get, about time our recruiters got one right.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I don't get it. I've heard 7 "expert tipsters" give their tips on radio today, and every single one of them has tipped St Kilda to beat WCE tomorrow night.

In Perth.

Without Nick Riewoldt.

When they were destroyed by Melbourne last week at home.

And WCE smashed North Melbourne away.

And St Kilda hasn't won a match in Perth in a lot of years (against either WCE or Freo).

:Wha:

I could understand if one tipster wanted to go the upset, but all of them?? I'm utterly befuddled.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Count me befuddled BF. I'm gonna go check the ins and outs....

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
So you've lost Petrie, Jetta and McKenzie. No big ins.

Saints lose Riewoldt, Armitage and Wright. Gain Montagna (should = Armitage, but Riewoldt!).

Hickey in the ruck against your Giles (ex GWS?) might help Sainters?

But nah I don't get it. Over here yeah maybe a maybe, but I wouldn't have thought so in Perth.

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Actually, our ins are far better than our outs. Give me Dom Sheed over Lewis Jetta any day (in their current form at least). Dom Sheed being injured was a big part of why we struggled early in 2016. The kid's really underrated outside of Perth.

And Tom Barrass is a much better backman than McKenzie in our current "Weagles Web" defensive structure. Barrass is our second Jeremy McGovern -- I couldn't understand why we left him out last week. McKenzie plays tall, but our team isn't a one-on-one defence these days. Barrass takes huge numbers of intercept marks. (FTR, I'm so disappointed his name isn't "Mark" or "Michael." If it was, he would've been "M. Barrass" at the Brownlow, which woulda tickled my funny bone).

Giles for Petrie is one journeyman ruckman for another, so not really a positive or a negative (Petrie's a better resting forward, but our forward line isn't exactly struggling with Kennedy, Darling, leCras, Cripps, Hill et al).

I always forget that Montagna hasn't retired. It feels like he should have retired by now! That guy's been around forever. :)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I thought McKenzie was a good'n - might be confusing him with McGovern though. Yeah Sheed means nothing to me, unless you add a Y. Or an S. And what is this, Barrass needs an I. You ain't pissin in my pocket are you BF? :)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Is Lewis Jetta Sydney's Jetta? I canna keep up :O .

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
McKenzie was an All-Australian in 2014, then did his ACL in the pre-season of 2015. Came back in 2016 and just didn't quite fit into the team structure anymore. We almost traded him end of last year.

Dom Sheed
came third (by one vote) in the Rising Star a year or two back (against all the GWS guys). He's a damn good player, and built like a truck for a midfielder.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Lewis Jetta Sydney's Jetta? I canna keep up :O .

Yep. We traded him for Callum Sinclair (our second ruckman). At the time, I couldn't understand the upside for us -- it's not like Jetta's in his prime. Now it's especially bad, because we really need a spare ruckman!

Jetta keeps playing games at 30%, like he doesn't actually want to be there.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Great game last night, good win by the doggies. Buddy is so brilliant to watch, Cloke had a good one and Lin Jong played a blinder.

The Hawks have burst out of the gates - nice to have a game on Saturday afternoon!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
With ten minutes to go, I was feeling vindicated for my Sydney tip. Then ... not so much. Losing Tippett early hurt Sydney a lot, I reckon. As will Adelaide losing Jenkins today (broken ribs, possibly punctured lung).

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah Sydney did really well considering they lost Tippett and had 3? rookie players. I thought the dogs were in trouble but they came back just like they did during the final series last year.

I'm only catching the scores from Haw - Ade - was Jenkins injured during the game?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I didn't see it (was working), but according to ABC radio, he got hurt early in the first quarter. He's been taken to hospital.

Sounds like Puopolo took quite the speccie in the first half. Mark of the year contender.

eta: Yep, that's a heckuva good mark. Not sure if it's better than Boyd's last night though.

Watched them both again ... Poppy's is better IMO.

eta 2: Jenkins' injury.

Last edited: