Aussie Rules Footy

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
So much emotion after a home and away game! Poor Essendon were understandably devastated and Buddy was as happy as if he'd won the GF. I don't know how the swans did it but I hope Goddard's teammates threw pretzels at him. He gives me the shits cos he's the first to go off like a brat in the playground if he thinks his teammates have done the wrong thing, and he ain't clanger-free these days. Two biggies last night (though no, Carey I don't agree that Essendon were home had that kick not been smothered) with that early one where he kicked out of defence straight to a Sydney player, who I think then goaled? - certainly scored - ending up pretty handy :) . Swans would have been unlucky to lose with their wayward kicking for goal. Good to see Luke Parker back in form, I like Luke. And weren't there some crunches and a half, like the one on Daniher early - and he got up smiling??? I really wonder how players aren't carted off to hossy a lot more often.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Poor Essendon were understandably devastated

Oh, how my tears flow for Essendon. Not. As annoyed as I am that Sydney's back in the hunt (because I do not want them around come finals time), I was ecstatic to see the Dons go down like that. It was truly a thing of beauty.

I hope Goddard's teammates threw pretzels at him. He gives me the shits cos he's the first to go off like a brat in the playground if he thinks his teammates have done the wrong thing, and he ain't clanger-free these days.

Yeah, Goddard does nothing for me. (Plus, every time I see him, I picture him in an SS uniform. Not that I'm saying he's a Nazi, but he so looks the part. Something about the hair and his jawline. He's straight out of central casting.)

Papley's smother was awesome. He deserves a lot of credit for that win. And Gary Rohan somehow marking it in the goal square. I loved Buddy's reaction, but John Longmire's was the pick for me. He didn't know what to do at the end. I think he was in shock.

And yay for Buddy kicking 0.6. Excellent news for JJK. :)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Longmire's reaction was priceless! He's usually right up there with Buckley and the Scotts for me, with their exasperated coachbox antics when losing that I find hilarious.

Oh that is spot on about Goddard, I will now be visualising the same thing!

Haha, your reaction re Essendon I'd equate to if it'd been Collingwood for me. Now, you despise Essendon and North, dislike Sydney:L-o B---y, where does Collingwood fit in? I hope you haven't gone soft on them BF.

Rohan so deserves a good memorable moment what with all his injury luck. And didn't he mark in front of Hurley? Who'd done so much all night, especially in those last minutes.

Re the Coleman, you've still got to wipe out Cameron this weekend, and then there's our Jack :D .

Hey your game's on seven tonight! :Jaw:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I don't dislike Sydney, I just don't want them around in September. Mainly because they're scary opposition in finals, but also because they're always in the finals. It's boring.

I don't like Collingwood, but don't despise them. Mainly because I have a lot of respect for Buckley (only since he used to be on AFL360 on Foxtel every week. He's still a bit FIGJAM, but he's a really thoughtful guy).

According to Longmire (on radio earlier), Rohan was only trying to shepherd the ball through at the end (hence his backing into Hurley), but it fell shorter than they both thought, which is how it landed on his chest.

And yes, re: my game. I'm shocked. The other game is Bulldogs vs North. I thought for sure that'd be on FTA. No idea why it isn't.

Actually, one of my mum's friends is over from Perth for a few days, so we were going to watch the game together at my place tonight. Then I discovered it's on Ch 7, so we're going to watch at my parents' instead (they don't have Foxtel). This is great, because I don't need to clean my house now! It's still a little weird that I'm randomly watching the football with my mother's friend, but it's nice to have another Eagles fan in town. :D

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, we'll have to agree to disagree on Buckley then. He might be thoughtful but I can't stand him. :D

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yeah, I don't think I'd like him if not for his regular panel slot on Foxtel. Gave me some appreciation. I'm no fan of Collingwood though, because Collingwood.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Phew, that's a relief.

Hey BF do you do supercoach?

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to work on you for next year then. It's an easily managed time suck once you've settled on your initial team.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Plenty of time to convince me before 2018. :D

Oh, and btw ... I'm watching the Pies/Port right now, and they keep cutting to Eddie McGuire in the crowd. I may be Buckley indifferent, but I fucking hate Eddie McGuire*. So there's that.

*Mainly for his track record of misogynistic and racist comments, followed by 'ha, ha, it's all just a bit of fun' and an insincere lip-service 'apology'. And he's never had to pay any kind of price for it. None. He's still Collingwood president. He still has all his TV roles on Ch 9. He still commentates and presents for Fox Footy. He still sits on however many boards.

He's the ultimate example of privileged white male enjoying all the benefits of the Boys' Club. What a dickhead.

/rant

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Have you looked into Foxtel play? They changed all the Foxtel apps recently. If you get the Play app (nowhere near as much as a full subscription) you used to only be able to watch the matches on your phone, but now you can stream it to your TV too. Or my FIL has the AFL app (it's, like, $100 per year?) that lets you watch every match.

But you do need good internet connection/download capacity for those options.

I know a lot of people think Foxtel's not good value, but we get good use out of ours. We got it 99% for sport, but we now have all the channels except movies. But I do call them whenever our contract's about up to negotiate a new deal (never pay rack-rate for Foxtel! We pay heaps less each month than we would if we just paid for it as advertised).

eta: Your tipping is not going well so far this weekend!

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Paddy McCartin's copped another bad concussion in the VFL. That poor kid can't catch a break. Gotta think his playing future's in doubt.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked into Foxtel play? They changed all the Foxtel apps recently. If you get the Play app (nowhere near as much as a full subscription) you used to only be able to watch the matches on your phone, but now you can stream it to your TV too. Or my FIL has the AFL app (it's, like, $100 per year?) that lets you watch every match.

But you do need good internet connection/download capacity for those options.
Huh, thought I answered this but it was in auto save. Yeah my internet wouldn't cope with the app, and I really really don't need more television options, even sporting ones :) .

I know a lot of people think Foxtel's not good value, but we get good use out of ours. We got it 99% for sport, but we now have all the channels except movies. But I do call them whenever our contract's about up to negotiate a new deal (never pay rack-rate for Foxtel! We pay heaps less each month than we would if we just paid for it as advertised).
That's very handy to know about the negotiating, just in case. Thanks!

eta: Your tipping is not going well so far this weekend!
I deserve everything I get. For picking Collingwood. Next week I'm going to make my selections then submit the opposite.

Paddy McCartin's copped another bad concussion in the VFL. That poor kid can't catch a break. Gotta think his playing future's in doubt.
Poor bugger. His parents must be on tenterhooks every time he plays. Hell, all parents must.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Zebra I hope you've had your pills, this is a tight one.

I wish I could slap Luke Darcy on the back of his head every time he says 'little man'. Twat.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Oh zebra :( I know exactly how you feel. :Hug2:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
*head-desk*

*face-palm*

:Headbang:

- - - Updated - - -

There was a sense of inevitability about it as soon as Lewis Jetta missed that sitter.

But Tom McDonald's last goal to win it was ridiculous.

Oh, and re: Luke Darcy? I can't stand him as a commentator. He hates West Coast. He also constantly got Jetta, Hills, and Karpany mixed up. Which isn't at all racist.

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Good luck, ajaye.

I'm cheering for the Blues for Mr. BF's sake (sorry!), but here's hoping it's not another heart-breaker either way.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks BF. *tries not to cross fingers while saying* good luck Mr BF.

I think we've got a close one :censored

The cats just got out of jail - and at the cattery!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
They've all been close ones.

After Sydney got home after the siren on Friday night, I said to Mr. BF that it'd take a helluva match to outdo that one for the "close shave" of the round. And then we had Bulldogs vs North and *sob* WCE vs Melbourne. All three won with a last gasp goal.

And then Geelong vs Freo today. Totally should've been a goal right on the siren too. Can't believe he missed it.

Horrible to be on the losing end (a feeling you're all too familiar with), but objectively ... what a season!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Round 15

I know I've said this about every week, but this week shapes up to be a cracker.

Proceedings kick off tonight with the meeting of two last-gasp winners from round 14. :e2cry: Melbourne and Sydney are both on a roll right now. How different this match would be had Gary Rohan not marked that ball in the goal-square and Tom McDonald's foot not made miraculous connection to sail through for a major? :e2cry:

West Coast's Will Schofield successfully appealed a ridiculous one week ban at the tribunal, only to go out with a hip injury anyway. Sigh. Story of our season. Also ... no Priddis or Hurn this week, and still no Kennedy. How did Viney not get looked at for that massive bump on Hurn? Exactly the same action in play last year earned North's Jack Ziebell a 3 (or 4?) game ban. Jack Viney? Apparently it's all cool. Again: Sigh. And for those keeping track (aka; me), West Coast has lost 4 of 5 since JJK's been out. Siiiiiiiigh.

GWS v Geelong sees one v three on the ladder square off. I'll go on the record that Joel Selwood shouldn't play this week. I don't care how tough you are -- if you get a concussion that bad, you do not play the next game. No ifs, no buts, no excuses. Captain or not, you're out IMO. But this is game of the round for mine.

Port Adelaide and Richmond could be a fantastic game. But as with the Hawks and the Pies, who to tip? Meanwhile, Houli out for four matches seems right. The fact he initially got two games for that hit was farcical. He's a great bloke, true. He also knocked his opponent out cold when not in play.

And for a non-footy note: Last night, I watched Meg Lanning hit an amazing 150no. She's the best cricketer in the land, bar none.

Round 15

Melbourne vs Sydney
Western Bulldogs vs West Coast
Carlton vs Adelaide
Gold Coast vs North Melbourne
Greater Western Sydney vs Geelong
Port Adelaide vs Richmond
Essendon vs Brisbane
Hawthorn vs Collingwood
Fremantle vs St Kilda

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Poor Bachar :( . I thought two was ample, but if he played for anyone else... :)

Agreed, Joel Selwood shouldn't play. Can't imagine how much accumulated damage he'd have in that noggin. And what's with dropping his bro this week for the hammy done two weeks ago, yet he played last week?? *confuzzled* *spewing I traded both of them into my supercoach team two weeks ago* *realises I am the supermozzer*

Melbourne vs Sydney

Western Bulldogs vs West Coast
Carlton vs Adelaide
Gold Coast vs North Melbourne
Greater Western Sydney vs Geelong
Port Adelaide vs Richmond *mad cackle*
Essendon vs Brisbane
Hawthorn vs Collingwood
Fremantle vs St Kilda

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yeah, sorry, skates, but two weeks was insanely low. You can't do that and not cop a decent whack (so to speak). And "running to position" doth not count as "in the course of play."

If not for his good character, it would've been six.

BTW, it occurs to me in this amazing season of amazingly close matches ... we're yet to have a draw. Maybe tonight?

Round 15

Melbourne vs Sydney just changed my tip. Going the upset here.
Western Bulldogs vs West Coast *looks at our ins* *looks at our outs* *tips the Dogs* I'll be happy to get this one wrong!
Carlton vs Adelaide sorry again, Mr. BF
Gold Coast vs North Melbourne home ground tip only (plus, it actually IS Gazza's 300th this week)
Greater Western Sydney vs Geelong GWS's ins are scary as, considering how good their form already is
Port Adelaide vs Richmond sorry, ajaye
Essendon vs Brisbane could be a massacre. I hope the Lions pull off a massive upset though
Hawthorn vs Collingwood ugh. Tough one. Picking the Pies for the Jamie Elliott factor (assuming he plays)
Fremantle vs St Kilda home ground pick again. Plus, Freo damn near beat Geelong in Geelong last week

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah the four weeks is totally fair, I was only looking at it through my black 'n yellow glasses.

Hey Meg Lanning and the team actually got a mention on the seven news sports bulletin! We're gonna be flat out with Wimbledon and Le Tour coming up - thank god they're on fta.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
good luck in the battle of the west vs the much farther west BF :)