Aussie Rules Footy

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Mr. BF is indeed home this week. I've already told him he should stay upstairs during the match. I'm trying to remind myself that we've already gone two weeks further than I expected. As always, I just hope we show up to play. I can't stand to lose if we don't bring our A-grade pressure game.

Good sign for the depth at Richmond! Same as the Bulldogs last year. If you make/win the VFL final, it's an excellent predictor of making it to the big show in the AFL. :)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Urp. Well, on the upside, I'm getting some good work done on my WIP. This match is over. Alas.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
It's not the best game or the best they can play, that's for sure. They must be pretty worn out from all the travel etc. :(

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yeah, I can't even get a little bit upset over this one (though I'm sad for Priddis, Mitchell, and Petrie. They've all ended on poor games).

Honestly, it seems about the right result given:

1) We have an old team who played that energy-sucking extra-time last week.
2) Consecutive away matches. Perth-Adelaide-Perth-Sydney (plus a long bus ride to Spotless) over the course of one week is a tough ask.
3) There's a reason they finished third and we finished eighth.

Ah well. We went two weeks longer than I thought we would. And now ... trade week to look forward to!

Last edited:

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, the extra travel some teams have to do even in the course of the normal season really is a bug bear of mine - I'd like to see the fixture made more equitable in future, somehow, though I can't see it happening.

Your boys certainly went further than expected. I felt bad for the retirees too, but they've all had excellent careers to be proud of.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry the eagles are out BF. Yeah your boys looked spent, but you'll always have last week's cracker to remember during the off season :) .

Don't know how they can address the travel prob for the WA sides, apart from giving them more home games? (yeah right :D)

I'm glad the spotlight will be swinging round to include Geelong and GWS this week. And it'll be fun to play Where's Wally the GWS Supporter on Saturday.

Last edited:

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I think they should make every team travel almost as much :p So they can have more games in other states for all those spoiled VIC sides ;)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Preliminary Finals

Okay, I have five minutes free before heading out for the rest of the day, so a really brief post today. I'll keep it to CARN THE TIGES! for ajaye's sake. How are the nerves holding up? One of Mr. BF's cousins is a mad Richmond man. He looked almost sick at lunch yesterday -- his attitude is you should win, but Richmond.

With 98+% yellow and black supporters in the crowd tomorrow, I reckon the atmosphere will be unbelievable.

So this week sees Brett Deledio and Patrick Dangerfield both facing off against their old clubs. I wonder how Lids will feel if Richmond gets to the GF and GWS doesn't, presuming he left for greater GF opportunities.

Preliminary Finals

Adelaide vs Geelong
Richmond vs GWS

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Preliminary Finals

Adelaide vs Geelong

I'm tipping an upset tonight, but with no confidence. It just feels like the fave tends to stumble at the last hurdle a lot. There's every chance Geelong had their one super-match last week though, so this might be my dumbest tip ever. I just feel like Mitch McGovern is Adelaide's barometer. They lose a lot with him out tonight.

Richmond
vs GWS Carn, the Tiges!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Preliminary Finals

Adelaide vs Geelong
Richmond vs GWS

Meeeeep!

I'm rooting for Adel-braine, just because. But at this point I honestly have no idea what's going to happen with these games or the big one!

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Adelaide vs Geelong
Richmond vs GWS

Crikey I'm already so nervy I posted this without selecting anyone.

This week has been the lonnnnnnnnnngest week ever. Go Tiges.

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Gee, I reckon Cotchin's in a bit of trouble. Any other player, any other week, he gets suspended for that. But he's on two strikes, so even a fine rubs him out.

Guaranteed if the Tiges make the GF, he gets off though. Given they found a way to let Barry Hall off in 2005, they'll definitely let Cotchin play.

Richmond's kicking is doing them in right now. When even Dusty's missing from point-blank range, it's a worry.

Hope you still have some nails left, ajaye.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I think that rules should be rules, even if there's a Grand Final. It's pathetic to let people off just because of that, in my book. It sets a bad precedent I think. But I guess time will tell - and it's certainly happened before with other Grand Finals too I think, or leading up to finals.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I think that rules should be rules, even if there's a Grand Final. It's pathetic to let people off just because of that, in my book.

Couldn't agree more. Also depends on the person, apparently. Fringe player, they'd suspend without hesitation. Captain of the team? AFL will play funny buggers. Though it'd be a hell of a thing if one team's captain missed the GF for two years running, after Bob Murphy in 2016.

YAY, AJAYE!!! YELLOW AND BLACK!!
:hooray:

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
WOW !!! :banana::banana::banana:

crying tiger tears - good tiger tears :)

don't think I could love Dusty more :heart:

and Rioli is such a Rioli :heart:

now, that little bump from Cotchin ... nothing in it, Lingy said so :)

go tiges!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw quite a few tears from Tigers players too, and in the crowd! It's been a long wait, that's for sure!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Apparently Richmond has to wear their yellow-with-black-sash clash-strip for the Grannie. Can someone please explain to me how on earth Adelaide and Richmond's traditional strips clash?!?

- - - Updated - - -

Jack Riewoldt was bawling his eyes out at the siren.

Ajaye, I reckon you guys have to drop Castagna for the GF. Thoughts? Poor form recently, and he's so low on confidence, he missed some absolute sitters today and stuffed up a bunch more. I'd be putting in Bolton, I reckon (assuming he pulls up from a six-day break after the VFL GF okay).

Last edited:

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Like Eddie Betts was crying after yesterday's game! It's great to see two new teams in the GF for once. I got so bored of the Hawks being there constantly :p Was great to see the Dogs win last year!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently Richmond has to wear their yellow-with-black-sash clash-strip for the Grannie. Can someone please explain to me how on earth Adelaide and Richmond's traditional strips clash?!?
Yeah. It doesn't clash. I love Kevin Bartlett's tweet "Richmond should and must tell the AFL to get stuffed and it will not wear its clash jumper against Adelaide. The club must not roll over." Can you imagine what Eddie McGuire would do if Collingwood were told to wear a clash jumper against North in a GF? Some on social media say if we run out in our REAL jumper we'll forfeit the game. Haven't heard that from anyone who might actually know, so assuming that's garbage and the only penalty is a fine, then let's cop the penalty. Shit we could crowdfund it in about an hour.

Jack Riewoldt was bawling his eyes out at the siren.
Jack bleeds black and yellow. Really hope it's his day to shine next week.

Ajaye, I reckon you guys have to drop Castagna for the GF. Thoughts? Poor form recently, and he's so low on confidence, he missed some absolute sitters today and stuffed up a bunch more. I'd be putting in Bolton, I reckon (assuming he pulls up from a six-day break after the VFL GF okay).
Hmm. I thought Castagna had a much better game than the first final. I thought he was good early yesterday, except for his kicking. But Bolton's got the speed and the tackling too. And he might kick better. But he hasn't racked up this finals experience. Except in the VFL. (woohoo another tiger day coming up ;) ) I dunno! I dunno! *tears hair* *laughs maniacally cos what a great problem, who should we play in the GRAND FINAL??!!!*

Like Eddie Betts was crying after yesterday's game! It's great to see two new teams in the GF for once. I got so bored of the Hawks being there constantly :p Was great to see the Dogs win last year!
Love Eddie Betts. But not this week. Wasn't the doggies win last year fantastic! I went shopping yesterday and convos went like this -
them: what ya doing on the weekend?
me: football! go tiges!
them: oh yes, I hope Richmond wins.
me: do you barrack for them?
them: no I follow Essendon / Carlton / Port Adelaide (wtf?) / Geelong

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Shai Bolton's having a blinder in the VFL final BF, supporting your call. :)