Aussie Rules Footy

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
The official AFL video: Aussie Rules Football Explained (complete with American voice-over) gives a rundown and some great footage of this awesome game.

Two thirds of the way through the opening AFL round for 2017 and Richmond sit atop the ladder: time for a dedicated AFL thread!

The AFL womens final was fantastic, what a game. Go girls! Congrats Adelaide! And how good that they got a bigger crowd than the Gold Coast v Brisbane game at the same ground later on.

Wonderful win by Essendon last night. And so good to see Jarryd Roughead back.

Is Hawthorn finally on the decline? And Sydney? What happened to the mighty Saints? Why are GWS flag faves but not expected to win today? Will Dusty win the Brownlow? Will Sam Mitchell party on the West Coast today? Will Collingwood players ever learn to fess up?

Calling all alien zebras, I need answers.

Oh, and with 4 out of 6 so far I am ranked 6421 of 167575 in the AFL tipping. I shall ne'er again reach such heady heights so am recording it here for posterity. /end brag

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yay! AFL thread!!
Alien zebra, at your service. :e2salute:

I once (and only once) entered the ABC's weekly radio tipping comp. I tipped 8/8 that week and won a bag full of goodies. I have never tipped again.

The women's match was great. How good were those two Adelaide goals in the first quarter? And Erin Phillips ... I have such a crush on Erin Phillips. She's a freaking superstar.

You know who Hawthorn could've used yesterday? Mitchell, Lewis, and Hodge. At least they'll get Hodge back soon, but I can't help but think trading away the guys who finished 1 and 2 in last year's B&F was a biiiig mistake. One I'm happy for, though! Let's go, Sammy Mitchell!

I'm possibly a little incoherent right now -- I'm in the stress-zone before the Eagles match (I have major stress-outs before our games). It's worse today, coz I loathe North Melbourne (a smidge less without Brent Harvey though). I can't abide losing to North today.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Yank, who has watched some Aussie Rules games on the telly, and quite enjoyed them without having much of a clue about game strategy, other than you try to run into the opposing players as hard as possible. I do love the officials, in their natty white suits and hats, and the robotic signaling of score kicks. Oh, yeah, and the big bouncing of the ball off the ground to cause an aerial scrum for possession of it.

Oh, yeah, and I like the Geelong Cats, just because of their name.

caw

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Ha. The goal umpires haven't worn those white outfits for a number of years now. These days they're in black pants and greenish t-shirts, and their signals are a little less robotic too. :D

I'm a full-on stress-ball at half time. Our back line isn't standing up at all. We're fine in our forward half, but the moment North gets it into theirs, we're in big trouble.

Ugh. Hopefully Adam Simpson can sort them out for the second half. I don't have a good feeling about this match. (Though, as Mr. BF points out ... when do I ever?)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hey blacbird you should like this clip :) .

BF you relaxed yet? How's Mitchell going?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Now I'm relaxed!

Sam Mitchell: 38 possessions

JJ. Kennedy: 7.0

Alas, we gave up a goal in the last 30 secs, which means your boys might still be top of the ladder. (We were up by 50 with under a minute to go. Ended up winning by 43).

:hooray:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
We're one-two BF, high five!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I think we're about to be two-three. Adelaide is smacking GWS by 50 points with about 1 minute to go. And that's without Tex Walker.

I said to Mr. BF before the season started, and I'll say it again now: Adelaide's my smokey for this season. Brilliant forward line, some superb midfielders, a more than decent back line ... and an X-factor with Eddie Betts.

eta: And Betts has a shot after the siren. It'll either be 51 or 56 points.

Aaaand ... 56 point margin.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I once (and only once) entered the ABC's weekly radio tipping comp. I tipped 8/8 that week and won a bag full of goodies. I have never tipped again.
That's bloody awesome!

JJ. Kennedy: 7.0
I still delight in his approach for goal every.single.time.

I think we're about to be two-three. Adelaide is smacking GWS by 50 points with about 1 minute to go. And that's without Tex Walker.

I said to Mr. BF before the season started, and I'll say it again now: Adelaide's my smokey for this season. Brilliant forward line, some superb midfielders, a more than decent back line ... and an X-factor with Eddie Betts.

eta: And Betts has a shot after the siren. It'll either be 51 or 56 points.

Aaaand ... 56 point margin.
That's probably good for us for Thursday actually, as is Collingwood's decent show against the doggies. Might stop us being too cock-a-hoop.

Eddie can be soooo good, especially at Adelaide. But I still tipped GWS :/ . Downward spiral in the tipping already! :)

I thought St Kilda might be the big movers this year. Umm.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Everyone picked St Kilda to be good this year! We play them next week (in Perth), and they'll be without Riewoldt ... we should hopefully win that one comfortably.

Wow. Just found out Drew Petrie broke his hand in the first five minutes but still played out the match in the ruck. He'll miss weeks now. Ugh. Ruck for WCE is a dangerous position to play! *misses Naitainui*

Richmond? Cock-a-hoop? You mean the lids not already off? Surely you have the premiership in the bag! :evil

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Nah we won't lift the lid till at least round two. We've learned.

Waite's so disappointing, I'm surprised we haven't ended up with him. Like traded Martin or Cotchin for him. Or both! It's the sort of thing we do.

I was hoping Vickery might go better at Hawthorn, doesn't look like it. Oh yeah Petrie's with you now. It's hard to remember all these moves. Higgins is still a bulldog in my mind. How's the Collingwood fans booing Cloke... didn't Collingwood dump him?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I think Cloke asked for a trade, but it was a mutual decision.

North definitely dumped Petrie (after 317 games). The crowd today was really good to him -- they stood and applauded after he kicked a nice goal in the first quarter. Very decent of them.

Mr. BF bemoans the ex-Carlton played running around and being brilliant for other teams (he doesn't bemoan Waite so much). Every time Eddie Betts, JJ Kennedy, Sam Jacobs, Jeff Garlett etc touch the ball, he almost cries.

Vickery looked so weird in Hawthorn colours. It's like Chris Maine for Collingwood -- that man has such Fremantle hair, he looks bizarre in the Pies strip.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
It's like Chris Maine for Collingwood -- that man has such Fremantle hair, he looks bizarre in the Pies strip.
Yes!

Hey how would you have gone if you'd taken Harvey?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Honestly, I would've stopped following the Eagles for a year. I fucking hate Brent Harvey. With a passion.

Next, I'll tell you how I really feel. LOL.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I'm a bit like that with cat/giant Steve Johnson. But not quite that bad.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Wow, it looks like Freo's off to as rough a start to the season as last year. They're being absolutely demolished by Geelong in Perth.

In other sport news, the Aussie cricketers are right back in the game against India.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
The cats just keep on keeping on, blacbird will be pleased :) .

C'mon Aussies.

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
At this rate, our teams'll be three-four by the end of the round (ie: in about 10 minutes).

Matt Renshaw just put down an absolute sitter at first slip. D'oh!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit. (cricket)

I'll take three-four. (footy)

:)

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I understood. :)

A late couple of goals (and one after-siren point) to Freo ensures (I think) the round ends with:

1. Adelaide
2. Richmond (yay, ajaye!)
3. West Coast (yay, me!)
4. Geelong

And (just for my happiness): Josh Kennedy sits atop the Coleman race. Again. (Unless someone kicked more than 7 that I'm unaware of).

eta:

Gah! According to the AFL, Geelong's in second place. Which seems wrong given they won by a lesser margin, but ... okay. If you say so, AFL.

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes head in*

*sees no toddlers in footy pajamas*

*waves to silly Aussie friends* :hi:

*exits quietly*

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. BF bemoans the ex-Carlton played running around and being brilliant for other teams (he doesn't bemoan Waite so much). Every time Eddie Betts, JJ Kennedy, Sam Jacobs, Jeff Garlett etc touch the ball, he almost cries.
Tell Mr BF he can have Hampson and Yarran back, that'll cheer him up.

*pokes head in*

*sees no toddlers in footy pajamas*

*waves to silly Aussie friends* :hi:

*exits quietly*
The door is always open Lil :) . Google AFL teams and pick one to follow. Just don't pick Collingwood.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Tell Mr BF he can have Hampson and Yarran back, that'll cheer him up.

Yarran was one he was very happy to get rid of.

The door is always open Lil :) . Google AFL teams and pick one to follow. Just don't pick Collingwood.

Yep! Come join us Lil! We'll explain everything.

Definitely no Collingwood. Yuck. I recommend the West Coast Eagles. :D