Aussie Rules Footy

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
New NAB ad tonight, with the little lookalikes. The music choice is terrible, but their NicNat is fantastic!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, oops I missed out on the tipping.

Our legendary Pav tipped Richmond too, and as much as it annoys some supporters when he's honest about his tips, he's usually been right from what I've seen. But I guess we'll see ;)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Feel free to do it now, if you want. We never go back and count, it's just for fun. :)

Cracking game tonight.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
All right - my tips without having heard about tonight's game. :)

Adelaide vs Sydney

Western Bulldogs vs Port Adelaide (in Ballarat)
Collingwood vs Geelong
GWS vs West Coast
Gold Coast vs Essendon
Carlton vs Hawthorn
Melbourne vs Brisbane
St Kilda vs North Melbourne
Fremantle vs Richmond

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
New NAB ad tonight, with the little lookalikes. The music choice is terrible, but their NicNat is fantastic!
Haven't seen the ad but saw some of the kids in the paper. I do hope mini-Dusty's tatts are real. Mo Hope was great...

Just googled the ad, then had to google the North player. Ok, a vintage Malcolm Blight. I didn't think back because so many currents have moustaches (though perhaps not that hair) :) .

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm, where'd my post go! I can't seem to edit from my phone so I'll just post again! I said I still don't understand this resurgence of the moustache in footy! In fact I don't understand it in general everyday life! But then I guess it fits with the resurgence of 1980s fashion, hey?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yeah, I didn't get Malcolm Blight either, but Mr. BF did. We both agree he doesn't belong there with all the modern players -- very random inclusion. Did they do Ben Brown last year? Seems the obvious choice to me if they wanted someone from North.

As for the mo's... yeah. *shudder* Joe Daniher looks like a worm crawled across his upper lip and died. The only one that kinda worked for me was Dane Rampe last year, coz he truly committed to the cause and went the full WWI-fighter-pilot look.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
how are you traveling BF? go eagles!! :D

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm accepting that we're going to lose. GWS runs out last quarters well. We suck at last quarters. Honestly, I'm just happy at our effort today -- at least we've tried. (So far).

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen any games this weekend at all! Spent all today doing an assignment. Yech! Sounds like your boys went well considering who they were playing, but I agree when the effort is there, that's something to take heart from.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
We lost by 21 in the end, but that flatters GWS. It blew out in the last couple of minutes (the whole match was spent with only a goal or so between the teams).

Ah well. At least Mr. BF's Blues had an unexpected win. I had to sing the "My team sucks more than your team" song this week. :)

Honestly, after watching the cracking match between the Crows and Swans last night, it's clear my guys aren't up to it this year. I feel bad for Matt Priddis, that he'll finish on such a low, but I'm already looking to next season.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel bad for Priddis too, he's such a good guy and a legend of the club. Seems a bit rude what's happened but I guess it's all part of the club moving on.

Hopefully the boys can have a good game for him next week!

Do you guys really sing that song when your team has lost? :p Or if they both lose, does it depend who lost worse?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yeah, I feel bad for Priddis too, he's such a good guy and a legend of the club. Seems a bit rude what's happened but I guess it's all part of the club moving on.

The BF household theory is that we landed a big name recruit behind-the-scenes between him re-signing and suddenly retiring 3 weeks later. He'd have stepped aside because he's always the team man.

I feel bad that he seems so ignored over here in Melbourne. I keep hearing lists of all the quality players retiring this year, and they generally leave him out. Today, one ABC commentator listed Dennis bloody Arnfield amongst the list of notable retirees for 2017, but didn't mention Brownlow Medal and multiple B&F winner Matt Priddis. And no one pulled him up on it. Sigh.

Hopefully the boys can have a good game for him next week!

Alas, we play Adelaide next week. So ... probably not. :(

Do you guys really sing that song when your team has lost? :p Or if they both lose, does it depend who lost worse?

Yes, yes we do. :D If both teams win or both teams lose, there's a scale to work out who sucks more: did we play at home or away, what was the quality of the opposition, how big was the final margin.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats ajaye! ;)

I have to say, it takes some talent to lose by the same 104 margin 2 weeks in a row!

In positive news, I'm so happy that Harley Bennell had a good comeback game - even if the game itself wasn't the best! The first quarter was all right, but after that things got dire...from my point of view anyway. ;) I'm sure ajaye will have another take on it!

Fingers crossed that Bennell is good to go for next week, to add to his confidence for next season!

Now to go and look forward to this season being over. haha

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yeah, that was quite the smashing in the end. Bad luck. (But hooray, ajaye).

Now to go and look forward to this season being over. haha

You and me both. :( It's a bad sign when you started counting the days to trade week.

Though if your guys could pull one out of the box and smash the Bombers next week, that'd be great, mkay?

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I saw it mentioned that it would benefit the Eagles too. I'm all for my boys getting a win! I know they can do it - it's just a matter of whether they will be in the right headspace on the day!

Yes, looking forward to this season being over! But despite some terrible drubbings, I'm happy with the progress my boys have made this year. I just hope they can finish the year off a little less shockingly, to get some momentum for pre-season, etc.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
You can both follow the Tiges in the finals. :snoopy:

For a week, maybe two. :)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Round 23 (aka: this misery is almost over*)

Assuming the Bulldogs don't somehow squeeze into the finals, tonight we say farewell to some of the game's greats. Hodge. Gibson. Murphy. Boyd. This weekend will see the end of a number of other stellar careers. Riewoldt. Priddis. Mitchell. Also some retiring journeymen like Sam Butler, who, according to his press conference, has played at the Eagles through two eras and has had, "Lots of sex. Uh <blushes> success."

:roll:

It's been a year of upsets, so since I'm the one writing this preview, I'm going in biased and cheering for all the upsets this weekend to sneak my boys into eighth spot (not that we deserve it). Carn, Freo! (never thought I'd be cheering for them so hard!). Carn, Collingwood! (ditto). Carn, Hawthorn! Keep this topsy-turvy season topsy-turvy all the way to the stupid pre-finals bye.

FTR, if all those results fall West Coast's way, watch my non-shock as WCE fuck it up and go on to lose to Adelaide anyway. My team's year is summed up by: "missed opportunities," so I guess it'd only be fitting.

And finally -- carn, Josh Kennedy for another Coleman! This has been one amazing performance after he missed 5 games.

Round 23

Hawthorn vs Bulldogs
Collingwood vs Melbourne
Brisbane vs North Melbourne
Sydney vs Carlton
Geelong vs GWS
Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast
Essendon vs Fremantle
Richmond vs St Kilda
West Coast vs Adelaide

*though not for ajaye, yet

Last edited:

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that part of the Sam Butler interview - almost felt sorry for the guy! It was kinda cute in a hilarious way. :p

Round 23

Hawthorn vs Bulldogs
Collingwood vs Melbourne
Sydney vs Carlton
Geelong vs GWS
Essendon vs Fremantle
Richmond vs St Kilda
West Coast vs Adelaide

Always gotta tip my boys, despite the odds. The fact is, I know they possibly can do it every time - though I know this week our chances aren't great, particularly in light of certain injuries etc. But Lachie Neale's back in, so that's something!

Can't believe this season is nearly over (but bring it awwwwn, need to move on to greener pastures here ;) ).

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm tipping the doomsday scenario for my team, because that's the way I roll.

Round 23

Hawthorn vs Bulldogs
Collingwood vs Melbourne
Sydney vs Carlton
Geelong vs GWS
Essendon vs Fremantle And Joe Daniher will probably kick 10 to really piss me off
Richmond vs St Kilda
West Coast vs Adelaide Never. Again.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Can't believe this season is nearly over (but bring it awwwwn, need to move on to greener pastures here ;) ).

There was an article in the Adelaide papers today that Mitch McGovern's either staying in Adelaide or going to Freo.

Me: Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hawthorn vs Bulldogs
Collingwood vs Melbourne
Sydney vs Carlton
Geelong vs GWS
Essendon vs Fremantle
Richmond vs St Kilda
West Coast vs Adelaide

Haha, so the only away team I'm picking is Melbourne. Cos Collingwood. :D

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Someone was saying McGovern may be waiting to see if the Freo offer can get him a better deal from Adelaide.

I've got no clue on the Brownlow... I haven't paid enough attention to teams other than my own this year. haha