my head... :badthoughts

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Ha! I can understand that. Your guys are hanging in okay though. They've had some lucky umpiring calls this quarter (Cotchin could've easily been pinged twice for deliberate out of bounds...)

OTOH, Richmond.

eta: Oh dear.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
:gaah

- - - Updated - - -

at least Collingwood's being pumped

- - - Updated - - -

and I can look out for Eddie to cheer myself up

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
How painful life must be as a Richmond supporter.

I was watching the Pies/Hawks game, then realized 1) Channel 7 commentary (shudder) and 2) the Lions/Crows game is weirdly close. I have the choice, so I changed to the closer one. If Brisbane weren't squandering their chances, they'd be ahead by a mile. Alas, their wayward goal kicking is going to cost them this match.

Has no one noticed how Adelaide's form slump has coincided with Mitch McGovern's injury? That kid is a hugely important cog in the Crows machine. I hope Jeremy can coax him to West Coast next year as rumoured.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
bloody hell Collingwood are up, there goes my entertainment.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
FTR, I changed back to the Hawks/Pies game as soon as the previously close game showed signs of becoming the 100 point drubbing it's somehow become, and this game went all WTF how is Collingwood in front? This is quite an amazing season.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
yeah it's bizarre. the year of the surge.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
hadn't realised the time. just checked the scores. bloody nora.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yeah, my guys look ... I dunno. Jetlagged. Asleep. Something.

Missing set-shot sitters is unforgivable though. We're being well beaten around the ball, but their lead should be half what it is.

Hilariously, at one point the free kick count was Essendon 12 to WCE 1, which the commentators announced was because "Essendon is obviously first at the ball." Which is true. But had that been reversed and in Perth, oh the howls of "bias!" and "lopsided free kicks to the home team again!" Sigh.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Suddenly realized there's footy tomorrow night, starting a stretch of five straight rounds featuring Thursday night games.

We kick of with Geelong hosting Port Adelaide, which may feel as foreign to Port as the last match they played ... in Shanghai. Sydney plays Hawthorn in the clash of the historical titans, but with Sydney suddenly on a roll and the Hawks still in the doldrums, I'm not expecting much of a contest here. Of course, I also tipped 2? last week, so my crystal ball may well be wrong.

Western Bulldogs and the Saints shapes up to be the match of the round. The doggies are a bit off the boil right now, but the sainters weren't all that flash against Sydney last week either. I'm backing both teams to be ferocious at the ball -- there's a lot riding on this match.

Meanwhile, every footy fan in the country will watch with bated breath to see if Richmond can be all Richmondy for three straight weeks, this time at "Dreamtime at the 'G". Will they find a way to lose in the last minute yet again? Will Harvey Norman microwave sales skyrocket as supporters nuke their memberships? Was Essendon's form flattered by the fact their opponents forgot to show up to play last week :e2cry: or are their fleet-footed smalls a legitimate force to be reckoned with?

Will BF get over the fact all her workmates barrack for the bombers, and this week has been a nightmare of gloating and mockery? (Answer: probably not, no. I think I need therapy now). The Eagles beating the Giants would be a start. If we lose to a team with an injury list a mile long and growing, in Perth ... well, I might pop down to Harvey Norman to buy a microwave too.

Round 10

Geelong vs Port Adelaide
Sydney vs Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda
Melbourne vs Gold Coast
Richmond vs Essendon
Adelaide vs Fremantle
Collingwood vs Brisbane
Carlton vs North Melbourne
West Coast vs Greater Western Sydney

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha, great preview. You're on a roll BF! :D Hey I only got 2 right last week as well *high fives the zebra*

Geelong vs Port Adelaide
Sydney vs Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda yep I agree, this game shapes as a beauty
Melbourne vs Gold Coast
Richmond vs Essendon love Dreamtime at the G, carn tiges
Adelaide vs Fremantle
Collingwood vs Brisbane say what?
Carlton vs North Melbourne
West Coast vs Greater Western Sydney your boys are getting back on track this week, BF

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I haven't actually counted my tips from last week. It just felt like a 2. Could've been 3. I could scroll back to check, but I'm too lazy. Also, I don't want to see my WCE tip again. :(

Round 10

Geelong vs Port Adelaide
Sydney vs Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda Gah. Tough one.
Melbourne vs Gold Coast
Richmond vs Essendon Also a tough one. I think the Tiges could win, but if the Dons do, I might feel a little better about last week
Adelaide vs Fremantle
Collingwood vs Brisbane You could be right on this one, ajaye. The pies have been WLWLW. They're due for another loss. But Brisbane's crap
Carlton vs North Melbourne Sorry, Mr. BF. Again.
West Coast vs Greater Western Sydney If we lose this ... I don't want to think about it. I'll miss most of the match, too (I have a conference this weekend). Hopefully my phone battery's still going when the match starts.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody GWS :rant:I feel your pain zebra.

OTH woohoo tiges, thanks for replacing :e2drown: with :e2dance:this week.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Urgh. I'm more like: :e2drunk: right now.

I thought we were in trouble when we lost Luke Shuey right before the game. Knew we were gone when Josh Kennedy went down at the start of the last quarter.

Looks like he's done his achilles ... which, if confirmed, is both his and the team's season gone (no Kennedy, no NicNat, no chance). The losses are easier to take when you accept you're not any chance of winning the flag this year anyway.

*coping mechanism*

Happy your boys came through (finally!!) last night. I was getting worried when it was so close near the end. (Cue thoughts of, "Surely not again!")

eta: I've found a new sporting distraction -- just discovered the French Open started today. Not my favourite grand slam event (is it anyone's? eta: Well, apart from Rafa of course), but it'll do.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! I'd only caught the scores, and Kennedy (or skippydedoo as I call him) was having such a good year. Yeah that's gonna hurt you big time.

I don't think FTA does any of the French Open. The Monaco F1's on soon though.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
*wipes brow*

Phew. Despite looking terrible (he went down like he'd been shot behind play), there's a chance JJK might miss only one game (coz we have the bye next week). I'm going to assume that's overly optimistic, though. I expect him to miss 2-4 games, but even that's way better than the full year as initially thought.

Cautious yay!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Round 11 sees the first of the proper bye-rounds, so only six games this weekend. Luckily, there's a couple of potential crackers among them.

1 v 3 face off when Adelaide meets Geelong. Adelaide hasn't won at the cattery in years, but aside from two blips, they've been red-hot this year. Geelong fell across the line against Port last week--due almost entirely to the form of Dangerwood. How will they perform if one or both of those guys cops a heavy tag or gets injured?

The Roos and the Tiges is an interesting one. Both teams have had their moments of brilliance and utter not-brilliance, but as an impartial observer, they seem well-matched. As do Freo and the Pies ... depending which version of each team shows up.

Can the Eagles find a path to goal without Josh Kennedy (*sob*)? Gold Coast has been fairly crap this season, but this is their first time back at their home-ground in a few weeks and they've got a guy called Gary Ablett back. Will Tom Lynch destroy my boys up forward, like he did the last time we played them on the Gold Coast? Will their fleet-footed mids and forwards trouble WCE as much as Richmond and GWS did? Can you tell I'm worried about this match?

Round 11

Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn
Geelong vs Adelaide
Gold Coast vs West Coast
Greater Western Sydney vs Essendon
North Melbourne vs Richmond
Fremantle vs Collingwood

Byes: Sydney, Carlton, St Kilda, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Melbourne

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yep gotta agree, the Geelong Adelaide game should be an absolute b-eau-ty.

So it will probably be a one-sided error-ridden affair.

I don't like these darn Thursday night games. They get me all out of kilter.