I was given this offer....

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post. If not, I kindly ask the mods to put it where it does belong.

Today I was offered a chance to be a content editor/writer for an advertising newspaper. You know, one of those freebies you find in gas stations, where people advertise their garage sales and cars they want to sell. It's a long story but the short version is my buddy is taking one over. He'll be the sole owner.

He has his own printing presses and a few other things he can do in-house, as well as other resources. What he's lacking is content. You know, local color pieces, editorials, local history, and maybe some odd features here and there. He wants me to fill that role.

We're going to sit down and talk about it, but I have no clue what to ask for in compensation. I don't know just how much of a role I'll have, either. My guess is he's expecting me to write all of this each week. Or be some kind of editor.

So...what does somebody ask for? I'll be the first to admit I'm totally clueless. I've never worked on one of these things. And I'm not going to spend 20 hours a week on something that pays crap but I have no clue what something like this is worth.

So..yeah, any thoughts would help. Thank you.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
"I don't know just how much of a role I'll have, either. My guess is he's expecting me to write all of this each week. Or be some kind of editor."

Clarify that first before you talk payment. Get the scope of the expected work in terms of how many stories (in word count and number) the job entails.

Also find out his income from the advertisers - if he's clearing $500 a month after expenses, you can't get $100 a week. If he's clearing $5,000 a month, asking for $500 a week is not unreasonable.

Are you employee? Or independent contractor (ask for enough extra to take care of your extra SSI and the hassle of doing your own withholding, etc.)

Who does the photography, if any? (negotiate extra for use of your gear, or have him buy a decent digital camera for the business)