The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martell Publishing, Inc. (Ed Johnson)

practical experience, FTW

Has Anyone Heard of Martell Publishing?

I just got a call from a man representing, or perhaps he was an editor with, Martell Publishing. He told me they just bought out some other publishing company, I didn't catch the name, and were going through all the old companies unanswered queries. He told me I had evidently queried that old company some 5 years ago and he wanted to know if my book is still available, which it is, but has undergone some serious editing and rewriting since then.

Has anyone heard of Martell? Are they ligit? I looked on Preditors and Editors but they aren't listed.

Thanks for any info.
    Paul
    Please visit my web site at http://valona.blogspot.com/

practical experience, FTW Chacounne's Avatar
    Hi Paul,

It's likely you would get more response to your question if you put it on the Bewares and Background Checks forum.

Just my two cents,
    Chac
    I took the pledge: 0/12

It's there too, now. Thank you for the suggestion.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    I would assume that they are either a scam or a vanity outfit.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Let’s see, we’ve got a Martell Publishing, Inc, in San Diego. http://www.martellpublishing.com/ and a “Martell Publishing” running ads in a Las Vegas directory. Both are vanity/subsidy: Avoid.

There’s a Martell Publishing Co. in MN, but I don’t find any other info on them to judge their operation. I take that back: They’re listed with the EPA, so I’ll surmise they have actual offset presses, at the very least.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Thanks. I tried to search for them using Yahoo! search, but couldn't find anything. I appreciate the link. And, since they are subsidy publishers, I'll certainly pass on them.

RinTinTin

Martell Publishing

I was contacted by an Ed Johnson from Martell yesterday wanting to see our children's books. Is there anymore information on the company? Are they legit?
    thank you:
    Daphne Hereford

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Daphne,

According to CaoPaux's post, both places that come up with that name are vanity/subsidy. That's all you need to know to run far, far away with your hand firmly on your wallet.

~Nancy
    Last edited by JerseyGirl1962; 11-21-2006 at 11:56 PM.
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    If you didn't submit anything to them, why are they contacting you?

When evaluating any publisher:

Have you personally ever read any of their books?

Have any of your friends ever read any of their books?

Have you ever seen any of their books in any bookstore?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Footnote: The OP was in fact asking about Martell Publishing, Inc. of San Diego (formerly known as Le Gesse Stevens Publishing).

Vanity. Avoid.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar

Martel Publishing?

Hey, gang -- I've gotten an email from a San Diego reporter looking for information about a local press called Martel Publishing, wanting to know if we'd heard anything. A search of the board didn't turn anything up readily -- so I thought I'd just ask.

I did find this: http://www.speculations.com/?t=87430
    Last edited by MacAllister; 07-02-2007 at 04:49 PM.

I googled them and found an address in San Diego.

A little more work turned up this site. Not sure if it's them or not. They do have a San Diego address, but it's Martell with two "L"s.

ETA: reading their website, it looks like they are just self-publishing, but pretty upfront about that.
    Last edited by Soccer Mom; 07-02-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think I’m disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Mac, I merged your post with the existing thread on Martell (with two "L's") Publishing.

- Victoria

lynn
    I worked for Martell . . . it is a complete sham . . . screwed over many authors and left 2 employees unpaid, including myself.

PAReporter
    I'm a newspaper reporter in Pennsylvania, and I wrote a story about a local woman who had a fiction book published by Martell.
    I got to work today and had a message from a San Diego reporter who wanted to ask me some questions about the publishing company.
    No clue what's up, but I'll update after I talk to the reporter.

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    I'd be wary of anyone who called up and offered to publish my book out of the blue...

*waves to PAReporter*

which paper was it in? I don't recall my local one having anything on that...

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Yo, PAReporter: If you want stories about publishing scams -- we have enough raw material here in the various threads for a Pulitzer-prize-winning series.
    Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 07-19-2007 at 08:38 PM.

PAReporter
    http://online.indianagazette.com/ind...3227&Itemid=52

For what it's worth: Here's a link to a story I wrote about a local author who had a book published by Martell.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valona View Post
    I just got a call from a man representing, or perhaps he was an editor with, Martell Publishing. He told me they just bought out some other publishing company, I didn't catch the name, and were going through all the old companies unanswered queries. He told me I had evidently queried that old company some 5 years ago and he wanted to know if my book is still available, which it is, but has undergone some serious editing and rewriting since then.
    I don't find that plausible in the least.

First, no sane editorial staff saves five-year-old unanswered queries.

Second, if one publishing firm acquires another, the staff is going to be plenty busy. Answering ancient queries is not going to be on their "things to do" list. Think about it: what are the possible responses? If the writer has moved or changed phone numbers, there's no use trying to get in touch. If the book has sold elsewhere, there's no point in asking about it. If no one has bought it over the last five years, you have to figure it's unpublishable, and there's still no point in asking about it. And if the author has rewritten it, he or she will probably submit it to the new firm.

Third, getting slush submissions and queries is the easiest thing in the world. Why do detective work on ancient queries to scrape up a few submissions, when a few notices in the right places will bring you a stream of slush to rival the waterflow from a firehose?

Fourth, even if a publishing house were insane enough to save five-year-old queries, then answer them looking for submissions, they wouldn't do it by assigning a human being to make long-distance phone calls. It's maximally labor-intensive -- the kind of thing editorial staff would only do if they were caught in an endless timewarp that has imprisoned them in their offices for subjective decades, and they've already reorganized the files three times, waxed the ceiling twice, and sorted every rubber band and paper clip in the house by color and size.

There's only one scenario I can imagine that would account for that phone call: a lot of companies keep logs of slush and/or queries received. A scammer has gotten hold of an someone's old submissions log, and is mining it for leads. That, I find entirely plausible. I personally know editors who've been offered kickbacks in return for the names and addresses of writers their house has rejected.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

I just spoke with the San Diego reporter. I'll post a link once her article goes online. Don't want to reveal too many details, but suffice it to say that Martell is indeed a vanity publisher, and it would be a very, very good idea to stay away from it.

- Victoria

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAReporter View Post
    I'm a newspaper reporter in Pennsylvania, and I wrote a story about a local woman who had a fiction book published by Martell.
    I got to work today and had a message from a San Diego reporter who wanted to ask me some questions about the publishing company.
    No clue what's up, but I'll update after I talk to the reporter.
    How about a nice big article on Publish America?
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

lynn
    If the San Diego reporter wants to contact me for current information . . . it would be welcome . . . lynnmkarstens@yahoo.com

Lynn, I'd be interested to know more, as an addition to my file on Martell. PM me here, or contact me at beware@sfwa.org. All information shared with Writer Beware is held in confidence.

- Victoria

lynn
    Victoria, I responded to your site, please let me know what sort of article this is building into. Lynn

THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast