struggling with dialogue?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's something I'm learning and working on. AW has been great for seeing how others write and so many great threads here. I also found this blog which has been so helpful and full of tips and advice. I wanted to share it with others. I will send a warning, this blog is huge and I've spent hours on it. I now have it saved in a tab on my tool bar since there is no way to review all the articles in one sitting.

I hope it's ok to share blogs here, if not maybe a mod could move it where it should be if it's in the wrong spot.

http://mythcreants.com/blog/lessons-from-the-bad-writing-of-the-mortal-instruments/

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I only read one post so far but it was very entertaining. Thanks!

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
I only read one too and it had a lot of good points. I can see myself losing quite a bit of time going through the archive.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Lessons From the Bad Writing of The Mortal Instruments" intrigues me since I was not impressed by either the books or the movie. The TV series started with simply rerunning sections of the movie. That did it, no more City of [fill in the blank] stories for me. No offense to the fans mind you.

Devabbi

Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me a whole lot of this blog: Reasoning With Vampires

Different series, same tone mocking the writer's inability to actually, y'know, write. The blog isn't active anymore but it was hilarious back in its heyday and still has its backlog posted.

Also, fun fact, supposedly Mortal Instruments started as a Harry Potter fanfiction. Check it out.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Whilst there are definitely some pearls of wisdom in the article you linked to, I prefer to read blogs with writing advice which doesn't require the LBL butchering of somebody else's book to do it (no matter how many people may believe the book deserves to be held up as a fine example of terrible writing*). The critical focus on a single piece of work gives me the impression this article is designed to put the book's author down whilst lifting the blogger up, as much as it is to inform future generations of writers about the foibles of dodgy writing. That said, I do appreciate the humour and tone of the article.

*I haven't read the book and don't intend to.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apart from reading books of the type you wish to write and that also contain good dialogue, the best way to learn how to write dialogue is to keep at it and to know your characters and how they would express themselves.

The difficulty in writing dialogue can sometimes be the result of the characters having nothing to say.