• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Palaeontology: major revision of dinosaur taxonomy shakes clade to core

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Science Daily: New study shakes the roots of the dinosaur family tree
For 130 years palaeontologists have been working with a classification system in which dinosaur species have been placed in to two distinct categories: Ornithischia and Saurischia. But now, after careful analysis of dozens of fossil skeletons and tens of thousands of anatomical characters, the researchers have concluded that these long-accepted familial groupings may, in fact, be wrong and that the traditional names need to be completely altered.

This is pretty major. It would be like discovering that the division of mammals into placentals, marsupials and monotremes was all completely wrong, and we belonged in the same group as the monotremes, with the marsupials as outsiders.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Gaah! My books have become dated! Again! (I haven't forgotten you yet, Mr. triton genus)

*is tet zoo fan*

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Fascinating. This means that my colleague who teaches a dinosaur biology class will be busy this summer. It will, at least, be less confusing for students now. They no longer have to be puzzled over why the group that includes birds evolved from "lizard hipped" dinosaurs, because it appears that they didn't after all.

Last edited: