Querying For The First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is there a group of respected agents that in addition to your query allow you to send in the first 10 pages or whatever?

Is there a group of NOT respected agents who let you do that BUT DON'T, because they're humps?

Thanks!

PS. I'm sure there are about 100 threads on what agents accept what for certain level's of writers, etc. Please feel free to link me to any of those if you happen to know them. I'm ready to query. And I don't want to mess it up. Thanks again!

Edited To Add: I ask this because last night I was watching a doc about JT Leroy and saw this agent and for a goof went to the website and they say "sure, send in the first ten pages" and I was like "huh?...is that standard?"

https://www.dclagency.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Every agent is different.

Some only want a query. Others want a query, synopsis and the first ten pages. Some want a query and the first three chapters. It just depends.

Thanks. Where's the All Agent's Website? Or what book do you get to find all the agents and their requirements?

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd begin with QueryTracker, which allows you to search agents by the genre they represent. Only query agents who represent your genre!!

If you write, let's say historical fiction, then QueryTracker allows you to generate a list of all agents who represent historical fiction. Then you can take a closer look at each one, and learn their query acceptance rates, response times, preferences, etc. Each agent's listing has links to their websites which will show you their specific submission guidelines. Follow those guidelines!

QueryTracker also allows you to create your own list of agents you've researched and would like to query. It's incredibly helpful when you have multiple queries outstanding and are trying to keep track of who has responded and who hasn't.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I second Query Tracker. Exceedingly useful. Just be sure to look up any agent you are considering, and find out if they are on the up and up. A good way to do that is google the name of the agent and add Absolute Write.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You can also find agents by putting together a list of writers who are doing well (lots of sales to good publishers, translations, etc) and then finding out who represents them.

Reaction score
Coming a screenwriting background, where it's near impossible to get agents to actually read the script, I'm kind of happy surprised at how so many agents are willing to read the first ten pages or something.

Is that standard? Have I been just clicking on some lower tier agents by accident and that's not really the case?

The thought of agents actually reading the first ten pages motivates me and excites me. But this can't really be the norm, is it? Thanks!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Yes, it is standard. How else can they decide whether they want to actually read your entire manuscript?

That being said, they probably don't always read all ten pages. It's usually abundantly clear by the bottom of the first page whether a writer knows how to put words on the page or not.

Reaction score
Well, in the screenwriting world, if they don't like the idea, they won't read the script even if it might be a masterpiece. Very happy that they'll at least read a bit first before rejection. Thanks!!

Reaction score
I quote Orphan Annie...

"I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here!!"
RE: The Literary World
RE:RE: Where you at least have a fighting chance before rejection.

Status
Not open for further replies.