What movies have influenced your writing?

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
Patch Adams
Somewhere In Time
Pirates of the Caribbean (the first trilogy)
Tuck Everlasting
Titanic
Phantom of the Opera
Raise Your Voice
North & South (the miniseries featuring Patrick Swayze)

All of these (and probably other films that I can't think of right now) have influenced my current writing or research, in one way or another. Sometimes a certain scene has inspired something or given me an idea for what not to do in my book. :greenie

Last edited:

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
over-time I have been influenced by a lot of movies (I studied film in uni) but most recently it's been Get Out and Below Her Mouth

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
"Gone With The Wind" and the phrase "Tomorrow is another day".
Procrastintors unite! ;)
:TheWave:

Devabbi

Registered
Reaction score
My novels are pretty heavily influenced by Lord of the Rings (both book & movie), Skyrim, Vikings, that kind of epic genre, but honestly, I feel more inspired and pumped with creativity after watching two of my favorite movies, Pacific Rim and Jupiter Ascending. Both arguably terrible films, from a commercial standpoint, but both visually stunning and with absolutely no aspect of them done halfway. Everything about both of those flicks was so incredibly detailed that you could tell someone spent painstaking time executing them (with the exception of maybe Charlie Hunnam's acting...). They make me think that that's how I should write - with that style of reckless abandon toward commercial success, and to write for writing's sake. Pacific Rim was made for the sheer joy of GIANT ALIENS fighting GIANT ROBOTS, and somehow it got a sequel. So I want to write for the sheer joy of writing, and maybe I can get a sequel.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What movies have influenced your writing?

I admit it, Twilight, because it motivated me to write a female protagonist that had more going for her than the best boyfriend and some magical 'chosen one' qualities (not that I mind stories about female chosen ones mind you).

Reaction score
This normally isn't something I even think about, and a lot of times I'm not really sure what influenced me, but with my last book (Death of a Kootch Show Girl) I definitely explored themes and ideas that I've enjoyed in the work of others, and while other books and authors influenced my novel, I was also influenced by music (the novel began when I got an idea while listening to a Mick Ronson song) and by movies. Brian De Palma's early work and style can be seen (Murder a la Mod and Phantom of the Paradise), where the characters might end up is slightly influenced by George Lucas's American Graffiti and American Graffiti 2 (in my opinion a very underrated movie), and there's even some influence from the writer/director Ed Wood (a character is very loosely based on him, at least some of that character's traits are). Most of all what influenced me was ideas and themes I've enjoyed again and again across entertainment mediums.

Does anyone else have film influences present in their writing? What films have most inspired you?

videodrome, naked lunch, dead ringers, shivers, fire walk with me, body double, the howling, reanimator

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Probably every one I've ever seen. But I based two characters in two different stories on movie characters with very small parts, but took major roles in my novels. One was the Burt Lancaster sidekick in From Here To Eternity, the other was Jimmy Two Times from Goodfellas, who only had one line but he said it twice, "I'm gonna get the papers, get the papers."

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
I think the three most important for me are the ones I remember the most from my childhood: Terminator 1, Robocop, and Darkman.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
I've already posted about the movies that influenced my latest book (and my first work of fiction). While no one has seem to notice those influences, I just got another review of my book and it was the second time someone theorized that I was influenced by the movie Rashomon, which, honestly. I have never seen. Guess I need to see it.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
I've already posted about the movies that influenced my latest book (and my first work of fiction). While no one has seem to notice those influences, I just got another review of my book and it was the second time someone theorized that I was influenced by the movie Rashomon, which, honestly. I have never seen. Guess I need to see it.

Have you seen any of Kurosawa's other movies?

DrewSpence

Writer/Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Blade Runner as it's my favorite movie of all time.
While Star Wars' rabid fan bases FORCED (no pun) the writing style to include so many diversions and tangents and small detail scrutiny-
I like all the departures and unexplored details in Blade Runner.

I liked how there were 4 replicants of note and Roy and Priss were an item..
And if you watch, Zora and Leon are also an item.

Leon wants to go back for his pictures...
He has a picture of Zora in his possession and it's the main clue to their undoing.
AND they find HER snake scales in his shower.
After her "show" she ended up there and was washing off- at his place.
She was smiling in the image.

Even though they are just 'learning about emotion' and from her personality, you take away a lot about her general demeanor.
Interesting couple.

And Bio of a Space Tyrant for books..deserves a mention.

Star Trek II WOK for the clever use of improbable systems to convey an emotion - like the
use of manually loaded torpedoes (it's ship verse sub if you see the parallel)
small scripting details...Kirk says "Look sharp" to Saavik while she's looking down at her console instead of the screen.
Sulu - being awesome at aiming- that it takes the ship shaking to explain why is phaser aim was slightly off. To think how close he came with manual aim - incredible shot.
That says a lot about his character and fits for all the years he's been in the service.
as opposed to bad writing where Uhura in one of the follow up movies doesn't speak Klingon, a communications officer that DOESN'T SPEAK the LANGUAGE of your enemy for over 30 years? lol

And they had to get BOOKS to translate (WTH?)- that's the same system of playing with illogical (yes) Scenarios to build a scene, but I think it fails miserable.

angelbae

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely a film that has inspired my writing is Repo the Genetic Opera. I used to watch it with my ex, and that aesthetic is just so inspiring to me. When I saw it for the first time, I knew that I wanted to write the kind of poetry into my fiction I saw in the cinematography, music, and plot. I'd say that's the biggest influence on me. Otherwise, I'd say mostly TV shows.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Blade Runner as it's my favorite movie of all time.
While Star Wars' rabid fan bases FORCED (no pun) the writing style to include so many diversions and tangents and small detail scrutiny-
I like all the departures and unexplored details in Blade Runner.

I liked how there were 4 replicants of note and Roy and Priss were an item..
And if you watch, Zora and Leon are also an item.

Leon wants to go back for his pictures...
He has a picture of Zora in his possession and it's the main clue to their undoing.
AND they find HER snake scales in his shower.
After her "show" she ended up there and was washing off- at his place.
She was smiling in the image.

Even though they are just 'learning about emotion' and from her personality, you take away a lot about her general demeanor.
Interesting couple.

And Bio of a Space Tyrant for books..deserves a mention.

Star Trek II WOK for the clever use of improbable systems to convey an emotion - like the
use of manually loaded torpedoes (it's ship verse sub if you see the parallel)
small scripting details...Kirk says "Look sharp" to Saavik while she's looking down at her console instead of the screen.
Sulu - being awesome at aiming- that it takes the ship shaking to explain why is phaser aim was slightly off. To think how close he came with manual aim - incredible shot.
That says a lot about his character and fits for all the years he's been in the service.
as opposed to bad writing where Uhura in one of the follow up movies doesn't speak Klingon, a communications officer that DOESN'T SPEAK the LANGUAGE of your enemy for over 30 years? lol

And they had to get BOOKS to translate (WTH?)- that's the same system of playing with illogical (yes) Scenarios to build a scene, but I think it fails miserable.

I liked the Blade Runner film.

KennySkylin

Registered
Reaction score
Do anime movies count? Because really crazy anime with interesting visuals help influence me. Even with actual live-action movies, it's usually the ones with a unique look, cinematography, world, and effects that help my creativity more. The plots never really seem to inspire me all that much. Things that come to mind:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Alien
The Shining
Sucker Punch
Pan's Labyrinth
Sin City
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Enter the Void
A Scanner Darkly
What Dreams May Come
Mad Max: Fury Road
Life of Pi
Edward Scissorhands
The Cell
The Fifth Element

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Do anime movies count? Because really crazy anime with interesting visuals help influence me. Even with actual live-action movies, it's usually the ones with a unique look, cinematography, world, and effects that help my creativity more. The plots never really seem to inspire me all that much. Things that come to mind:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Alien
The Shining
Sucker Punch
Pan's Labyrinth
Sin City
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Enter the Void
A Scanner Darkly
What Dreams May Come
Mad Max: Fury Road
Life of Pi
Edward Scissorhands
The Cell
The Fifth Element

More films on my Mind Screw List that I see.

HaHs

Registered
Reaction score
Gone Girl! I know it's a book but I haven't read that and am unlikely to, so I assume this still counts?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what I'm writing right now these movies are inspiring, this list would represent what I'm aiming for in a novel. (no vampires in my novel, but I love the twist at the end of the movie and the teen dynamics etc)

Spiral Staircase(the original)
Raising Cain
Scream
Cape Fear
Fatal Attraction
Stir of echoes
What lies beneath
Wild things
Fear
The lost boys

Last edited: