What movies have influenced your writing?

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
The only movie I can think of that has directly influenced my writing is Terry Gilliam's 'Brazil'. Other than books, I've been influenced heavily by the manga epic known as 'Berserk'.

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
Music tends to influence me more now that I'm older, but early on movies like Secret Window and Minority Report had an effect on my writing. Basically any psychological thriller I really like.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Fab question.

My current magnificent octopus is, visually, heavily influenced by Castle in The Sky, Time Bandits, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, all of the Oz movies and such, and possibly Prometheus. Oh, and Hanger 18 of course.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Music tends to influence me more now that I'm older, but early on movies like Secret Window and Minority Report had an effect on my writing. Basically any psychological thriller I really like.

Did you like "The Minority Report" short story? I thought they didn't do nearly as good a job adapting that into a movie as they could have (though I still liked the movie).

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Get Out influenced my horror stories in a big way. my prof used to say "Good horror is taking societal fears and giving them form." I had thought it a lofty ideal, but Peele did it. he did it so well.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
I haven't seen as much as I'd like. got any recommendations?

Ju-on saga
Kairo
Jigoku
Dark Tales of Japan
Tag
Unholy Women
Marebito
Chasing World
Kyōfu
Premonition
Reincarnation
God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand
Gominasai (AKA Ring of Curse)
Stories of Apparitions
Higanjima
X-Game
Gothic & Lolita Psycho
The Shock Labyrinth
Black Rat
Blood

These are all J-horror.

JoyceAernouts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smalltownjoyce.wordpress.com
Okay, so technically not 'a movie', but the Harry Potter series (books + movies) is/are? the reason I finally got the courage to try it myself, especially after seeing 'Magic Beyond Words'. Also, 'Stuck in Love' made me believe that maybe I could actually do this crazy thing and write a book. I still watch it when I get stuck and I need more motivation to push through.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Okay, so technically not 'a movie', but the Harry Potter series (books + movies) is/are? the reason I finally got the courage to try it myself, especially after seeing 'Magic Beyond Words'. Also, 'Stuck in Love' made me believe that maybe I could actually do this crazy thing and write a book. I still watch it when I get stuck and I need more motivation to push through.

What about Fantastic Beasts too?

Transformersfan123

Registered
Reaction score
A movie that has consistently shaped my writing is a little known movie called 9. It's a post-apocalyptic movie where machines have killed most, if not all, of the humans. The only creatures left are machines and these mechanical-like beings called Stitchpunks. The nine characters have very distinct characteristics about them, making them unique individuals. I enjoy referencing them for certain characters I write. It's such a good movie!

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
I loved "Breaking the Waves" but I consider "Antichrist" the point in Von Trier's career where he officially lost his mind.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
I loved "Breaking the Waves" but I consider "Antichrist" the point in Von Trier's career where he officially lost his mind.

I saw Antichrist, Melancholia, and Nymphomaniac. Waste of my life!

Antichrist: A little better, dark, and uncomfortable
Melancholia: Boring and the artsy beginning gave away the plot
Nymphomaniac: Boring and not sexy