March For Science, April 22

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I doubt this will be anywhere near as well attended as the Women's Marches were, but it's a very important issue. Many of us feel that the Right hasn't been a friend to science, and Trump's administration seems to be turning the anti science thing up to 11.

https://www.marchforscience.com/

They're having a local march in my city on the 22nd (it's a Saturday), and some friends and I are making plans to go. Is anyone else planning on attending any of these events? I joined the Union of Concerned Scientists recently, but other than this and the usual strategies of calling my representative when an anti-science bill is on the table, I haven't been sure of what else to do.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to the Washington, DC event. I signed up to volunteer, but the turnout has been so large they don't need much more help. They send me the occasional email update saying they will need more on-the-ground volunteers as the event gets closer.

I'm excited. I'm trained as a scientist and spent 20 years in the lab. All that time, I lived in the convenient fantasy that policy makers would one day realize they needed good science and that would be our day to shine. Unfortunately, all illusion of that is gone for me, and no longer can scientists and the people who love, respect, and look to science sit by waiting for that day. We need to be our own advocates. We are not politicizing science, as one detractor whined. We're reporting our results.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to march, but it falls during my chorus competition :(

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm in! I think the Seattle March is going to be big.

If anyone is going to their city's march and wants to support the cause, several cities are selling shirts though Bonfire. (Search up "March For Science" and you'll get pages of shirts. Narrow down by city if you prefer.). Proceeds benefit the local march for the shirt you buy. I'll be wearing Seattle's Orca shirt, but I gotta say, Austin's Taco shirt was tempting. :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! I think the Seattle March is going to be big.

If anyone is going to their city's march and wants to support the cause, several cities are selling shirts though Bonfire. (Search up "March For Science" and you'll get pages of shirts. Narrow down by city if you prefer.). Proceeds benefit the local march for the shirt you buy. I'll be wearing Seattle's Orca shirt, but I gotta say, Austin's Taco shirt was tempting. :)
Let's Taco About Science :roll:

Seattle has a dozen options. I'll have to think about which one I'd like to promote. I've spent a fair bit of time fighting the Discovery Institute's war on evolution science but the 'Lucy' design isn't a clear message. I like the volcano/earthquake design.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Am interested in the Seattle march, though factors beyond my control may prevent me from going. (Seattle's also a traffic nightmare... trying to figure out where it is to determine feasibility of attendance.)

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
This is a little specific for the thread, but the Seattle org has announced a Rally Bus for anyone interested in attending the march here. Link is Here They are taking promo code MARCHFORSCIENCE for $5 off the first 500 rides.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a little specific for the thread, but the Seattle org has announced a Rally Bus for anyone interested in attending the march here. Link is Here They are taking promo code MARCHFORSCIENCE for $5 off the first 500 rides.

Darn, won't work for me. First, $50 is tad pricey even with $5 off. Second, they picked the worst parking lot in town. Because people park there to go to the gym and leave purses in their cars, it's become a smash and grab spot for thieves. Not great to park there all day.

I'll probably take the Metro. My son lives close enough to walk to Cal Anderson but he's a carless millennial and doesn't have parking. However, there are some pay lots around and occasional street parking. I have informed him he is coming to the march. :tongue He agreed unless he ends up going camping that weekend.

Last edited:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Darn, won't work for me. First, $50 is tad pricey even with $5 off. Second, they picked the worst parking lot in town. Because people park there to go to the gym and leave purses in their cars, it's become a smash and grab spot for thieves. Not great to park there all day.

Yeah, it's pricey unless you're driving from way north or way east. You can add a stop that's convenient for you, but it's still pricey. If you can bus to Westlake, you can catch the light rail up to Capitol Hill from there. That's what we're going to do. There's also the Capitol Hill street car.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to attend the NYC event but I have two shows that day. If it's in the morning I might be able to swing it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm bumping this, as the event is today. I'm going to our local event in a little bit. What many thought would be a pretty small deal with maybe 50 local walks and events has grown, with over 600 local events around the world.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-.../saturdays-march-aims-to-stand-up-for-science

As with the women's march, it's hard to say what kind of effect this will have on politicians, but if it helps motivate people and helps people connect, then it's a positive thing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone I know is at the Boston march and it has a pretty good turn out

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
There was one in my city today, and we thought about going. Except my husband had to be in the lab instead (like he is 10-14 hours a day, 6 days a week)...doing science. :)

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from a rainy and almost too cold DC march. The turn out seemed great although I haven't seen any estimates yet.

I'll post some pics in a little bit.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meep for Veep?

713895e2-1d94-4044-8adc-841ea733acf7_zpslppmgytw.jpg

75e534ad-d6da-4385-a7b6-a8cc160c357d_zpsfajcqckv.jpg

41ddfc62-ab9d-4598-b2d7-5dc219a75616_zpslkfjaogl.jpg

Psi Ants Rules!

be955d17-77b5-497a-adce-c58eb8a29799_zpsw452lzpp.jpg

6f56413b-adfe-4bda-91d9-6b93148a6b5d_zpsl7ted4ae.jpg

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great pictures, Chris. I love, love, love the dinosaurs.:hooray:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm just back from the Seattle march. It was MUCH larger than I anticipated. (We had a T-rex, too! :D)

I'll be really interested to see the crowd size estimate. My son and I stood in one spot at the very front of the march, and it took 50 minutes of marchers to get to the end. Inspiring, but we're a very STEM-centric city, as far as our economy goes. It could have been ginormous if Microsoft, Google, Amazon, the University of Washington & Boeing all would have actively promoted it, but I guess the political climate means corporations and institutions are keeping their heads down. *sigh*

ETA: Just saw this in the Seattle Times coverage Go, nonagenarian scientists!

“Damn right I’m in this march,” said Eddy Fischer, 97, professor emeritus of biochemistry at the University of Washington and Nobel Prize co-winner in 1992 for physiology or medicine. He was among thousands gathered at Cal Anderson Park on Capitol Hill.

Last edited: