Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March For Science, April 22

March For Science, April 22

I doubt this will be anywhere near as well attended as the Women's Marches were, but it's a very important issue. Many of us feel that the Right hasn't been a friend to science, and Trump's administration seems to be turning the anti science thing up to 11.

https://www.marchforscience.com/

They're having a local march in my city on the 22nd (it's a Saturday), and some friends and I are making plans to go. Is anyone else planning on attending any of these events? I joined the Union of Concerned Scientists recently, but other than this and the usual strategies of calling my representative when an anti-science bill is on the table, I haven't been sure of what else to do.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 03-21-2017 at 04:48 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    My wife and I are going to the Washington, DC event. I signed up to volunteer, but the turnout has been so large they don't need much more help. They send me the occasional email update saying they will need more on-the-ground volunteers as the event gets closer.

I'm excited. I'm trained as a scientist and spent 20 years in the lab. All that time, I lived in the convenient fantasy that policy makers would one day realize they needed good science and that would be our day to shine. Unfortunately, all illusion of that is gone for me, and no longer can scientists and the people who love, respect, and look to science sit by waiting for that day. We need to be our own advocates. We are not politicizing science, as one detractor whined. We're reporting our results.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

Prepared to sing! AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    I would love to march, but it falls during my chorus competition
    I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Chorus audits:
    [x] Start of Something Big (contest)
    [x] Cottage for Sale (contest)
    [x] A Lot of Living
    [x] Nice Work if You Can Get it (contest)
    [x] Every Woman's Song
    [x] Don't Stop Medley

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Seattle's FaceBook page on the event says ~8,000 plan to attend and ~20,000 have indicated interest.

https://www.facebook.com/events/123680848146054/

I'm going.

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    I'm in! I think the Seattle March is going to be big.

If anyone is going to their city's march and wants to support the cause, several cities are selling shirts though Bonfire. (Search up "March For Science" and you'll get pages of shirts. Narrow down by city if you prefer.). Proceeds benefit the local march for the shirt you buy. I'll be wearing Seattle's Orca shirt, but I gotta say, Austin's Taco shirt was tempting.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And this other me:
    reneedominick.com and @Renee_Dominick on Twitter
    Also, this me is a contributor to kINKED, an Erotic Romance Anthology

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    I'm in! I think the Seattle March is going to be big.

If anyone is going to their city's march and wants to support the cause, several cities are selling shirts though Bonfire. (Search up "March For Science" and you'll get pages of shirts. Narrow down by city if you prefer.). Proceeds benefit the local march for the shirt you buy. I'll be wearing Seattle's Orca shirt, but I gotta say, Austin's Taco shirt was tempting.
    Let's Taco About Science

Seattle has a dozen options. I'll have to think about which one I'd like to promote. I've spent a fair bit of time fighting the Discovery Institute's war on evolution science but the 'Lucy' design isn't a clear message. I like the volcano/earthquake design.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 03-21-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    Am interested in the Seattle march, though factors beyond my control may prevent me from going. (Seattle's also a traffic nightmare... trying to figure out where it is to determine feasibility of attendance.)
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

Here is the Minnesota march!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1873065592938291/

Looks like it's going to be big!
    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes and fake nail sets, now on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyanideShoes

I have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress In A Short Film at The International Filmmaker Festival Of World Cinema London (SPOILER ALERT: I won!) http://filmfestinternational.com/bes...ndon-iff-2016/

I would have to guess they couldn't have held it on April 51st.

There are marches in Cairns and Townsville, but I will be in on the road on 22 April.

This is a little specific for the thread, but the Seattle org has announced a Rally Bus for anyone interested in attending the march here. Link is Here They are taking promo code MARCHFORSCIENCE for $5 off the first 500 rides.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

And this other me:

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    I'll be at the Silicon Valley march.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    This is a little specific for the thread, but the Seattle org has announced a Rally Bus for anyone interested in attending the march here. Link is Here They are taking promo code MARCHFORSCIENCE for $5 off the first 500 rides.
    Darn, won't work for me. First, $50 is tad pricey even with $5 off. Second, they picked the worst parking lot in town. Because people park there to go to the gym and leave purses in their cars, it's become a smash and grab spot for thieves. Not great to park there all day.

I'll probably take the Metro. My son lives close enough to walk to Cal Anderson but he's a carless millennial and doesn't have parking. However, there are some pay lots around and occasional street parking. I have informed him he is coming to the march. He agreed unless he ends up going camping that weekend.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 03-31-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaeZe View Post
    Darn, won't work for me. First, $50 is tad pricey even with $5 off. Second, they picked the worst parking lot in town. Because people park there to go to the gym and leave purses in their cars, it's become a smash and grab spot for thieves. Not great to park there all day.
    Yeah, it's pricey unless you're driving from way north or way east. You can add a stop that's convenient for you, but it's still pricey. If you can bus to Westlake, you can catch the light rail up to Capitol Hill from there. That's what we're going to do. There's also the Capitol Hill street car.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

And this other me:

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    I'd like to attend the NYC event but I have two shows that day. If it's in the morning I might be able to swing it.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
    I'll be at the Silicon Valley march.
    You're not too far from me. I'm over in Sacramento. We have one here too.

I'm bumping this, as the event is today. I'm going to our local event in a little bit. What many thought would be a pretty small deal with maybe 50 local walks and events has grown, with over 600 local events around the world.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...up-for-science

As with the women's march, it's hard to say what kind of effect this will have on politicians, but if it helps motivate people and helps people connect, then it's a positive thing.

Contructicons AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Someone I know is at the Boston march and it has a pretty good turn out
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

practical experience, FTW anakhouri79's Avatar
    There was one in my city today, and we thought about going. Except my husband had to be in the lab instead (like he is 10-14 hours a day, 6 days a week)...doing science.

My wife and I just got back from a rainy and almost too cold DC march. The turn out seemed great although I haven't seen any estimates yet.

I'll post some pics in a little bit.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

practical experience, FTW
    Obama is paying people to attend these marches. I'm sure we'll hear from Sean Spicer about it.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Meep for Veep?

Psi Ants Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    Obama is paying people to attend these marches. I'm sure we'll hear from Sean Spicer about it.

caw
    Where's my check, dammit?!?

Contructicons AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Great pictures, Chris. I love, love, love the dinosaurs.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

I'm just back from the Seattle march. It was MUCH larger than I anticipated. (We had a T-rex, too! )

I'll be really interested to see the crowd size estimate. My son and I stood in one spot at the very front of the march, and it took 50 minutes of marchers to get to the end. Inspiring, but we're a very STEM-centric city, as far as our economy goes. It could have been ginormous if Microsoft, Google, Amazon, the University of Washington & Boeing all would have actively promoted it, but I guess the political climate means corporations and institutions are keeping their heads down. *sigh*

ETA: Just saw this in the Seattle Times coverage Go, nonagenarian scientists!

“Damn right I’m in this march,” said Eddy Fischer, 97, professor emeritus of biochemistry at the University of Washington and Nobel Prize co-winner in 1992 for physiology or medicine. He was among thousands gathered at Cal Anderson Park on Capitol Hill.
    Last edited by ElaineA; 04-23-2017 at 03:19 AM.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

And this other me:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast