Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
A great way for beginners to learn about critiques is participate in those threads before posting their own. I'd say that's the best way to get into it.

I really fail to see a problem here. AW has plenty of options for crits. This is just one. And the three-sentence thread is moving along just fine, like it always has.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Have a bit more time now.

The three-sentence thread is actually what (eventually) convinced me to join AW after months of lurking. Without registering, there's no access to SYW ... and without SYW, there's no way to see the types of crit offered on the site. I loved the feedback on the three-sentences so much (and learned so much), it's why I joined up. :) I think I read through a solid 600 pages of the three-sentences thread in 2015.

Basically, I love it the way it is, even though it's evolved somewhat from it's original intentions.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another interesting word choice: dissected. That makes it sound like examination = desecration. Do you feel like your shared work earlier in the thread was desecrated, or unfairly examined (full disclosure: I read your blowing grass open but did not comment on it, although many others did)? You said many times that you appreciated all of the comments. But that wasn't the case?

I was in a workshop once where my work was not well received by a member. It felt first like an attack, then like maybe she was right and I was just bad at writing. Later, it felt like it was not an attack, but that I was definitely bad at writing. So I stopped writing for about 4 months. Later still, it felt like maybe it had been personal, but I couldn't figure out why. Later still it felt like the writing was surely bad, the comments were justified, but they might've been delivered to me in a more "user friendly" fashion. Later I decided to share my work again, but not with that particular person. At some point in the future I will again share work with that person. If my work is again heavily criticized, presumably I'll give those comments the weight they deserve and no more.

Best wishes with your writing and your experience sharing it.

I'm taking this last bit as a warning that I should now be hesitant to share my work. I'm not. I'm glad I can specify "simple feedback please". Not everyone wants an in depth critique which is ok.
For the record, to those who took the time to critique my opening three lines I was honest when I said I appreciated your feedback. To suggest otherwise is hurtful and calling me a liar. Something I don't appreciate. If someone said something to me that I found uncalled for or out of line I would report to a mod and that has never happened. So far I'm finding AW to be positive and helpful.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Maybe it'd be helpful at this point to remind everyone of the RYFW rule (Respect Your Fellow Writer). And maybe remember what it was like when you were new here, too.

Joseph Schmol

shaken & stirred
Registered
Reaction score
Another interesting word choice: dissected. That makes it sound like examination = desecration. Do you feel like your shared work earlier in the thread was desecrated, or unfairly examined (full disclosure: I read your blowing grass open but did not comment on it, although many others did)? You said many times that you appreciated all of the comments. But that wasn't the case?

I was in a workshop once where my work was not well received by a member. It felt first like an attack, then like maybe she was right and I was just bad at writing. Later, it felt like it was not an attack, but that I was definitely bad at writing. So I stopped writing for about 4 months. Later still, it felt like maybe it had been personal, but I couldn't figure out why. Later still it felt like the writing was surely bad, the comments were justified, but they might've been delivered to me in a more "user friendly" fashion. Later I decided to share my work again, but not with that particular person. At some point in the future I will again share work with that person. If my work is again heavily criticized, presumably I'll give those comments the weight they deserve and no more.

Best wishes with your writing and your experience sharing it.
I'm taking this last bit as a warning that I should now be hesitant to share my work.

Why on earth would you take "Best wishes with your writing and your experience sharing it" as "a warning"? That is a very accusatory claim and contradictory to my stated good intentions. Please explain where I warranted such comment?

For the record, to those who took the time to critique my opening three lines I was honest when I said I appreciated your feedback. To suggest otherwise is hurtful and calling me a liar.

Again, you misrepresent my words. I asked you two questions pertaining to your earlier experience in the thread, and quite respectfully. I made no claims. Zero. I also shared from personal experience a tough time I had with some harsh critique. Why do you suppose I shared that? So I could mock you? Disparage you in some way?

I find your comments to be hurtful and off base. I'm putting you on IGNORE, so you won't have to worry about interacting with me in the future.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking this last bit as a warning that I should now be hesitant to share my work.

You know, fwiw, I read his comment as sincere good wishes.

To suggest otherwise is hurtful and calling me a liar. Something I don't appreciate.

I don't believe anyone was suggesting that. It certainly never occurred to me. I'm glad you've found AW helpful and I hope you stick around! :Hug2:

yazeed

Registered
Reaction score
i think that the 3 sentence thread is really great if you still can't post to SYW or you don't have enough work to show.
i also think that harsh crits are okay as long as they're helpful.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, fwiw, I read his comment as sincere good wishes.

I don't believe anyone was suggesting that. It certainly never occurred to me. I'm glad you've found AW helpful and I hope you stick around! :Hug2:

Thank you Beth.

I'm sorry to Joseph also(although he has me on ignore) I will pm him.
I'm going to walk away from this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.