• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Zombies Need Brains LLC (Joshua Palmatier)

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
I discovered this small press today via a post by Jim C. Hines' blog. Its FB page told me that ZNB has been around since 2013.

Its website: strangely uninformative. FB page -- same, as is the author's own website. This wouldn't make them bad per se. But the lack of info is worrisome.

Its Twitter says "We are a small press publishing professional-quality SF&F themed anthologies."

Um... That, combined with the lack of info, adds to the concern.

Has anyone here had dealings with this press?

Many thanks.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
ZNB doesn't seem to be an invite-only anthology small press...

They got 450 submissions recently (per Twitter).

Not currently open to submissions; funded by Kickstarters.

FYI, the author/publisher Joshua Palmatier is on SFF.net. He edits with Patricia Bray; they're listed for several anthologies, including authors like Seanan McGuire, Bradley P. Beaulieu, Jay Lake and Shannon Page, Elizabeth Bear, and Jim Hines...

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I've pitched for two anthologies from ZNB. Haven't made the final cut yet, but Joshua and Patricia are both very solid SF authors and editors. They are paying SFWA word rates for their authors (and more if their Kickstarters raise sufficient money) and they only publish the books they raise money for.

I haven't seen a contract (as I said, never been picked up for one of their anthologies), but intend to resubmit for one once the thesis is done. I've also had interactions with both for years at conventions and they're keeping ZNB small (only a few anthologies a year), to ensure they can maintain quality control and ensure they have raised sufficient money for any books they intend to launch.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
I've supported a couple of the Kickstarters. The anthologies are still sitting in Mount TBR, so I can't speak to the quality of the editing yet, but the Kickstarters have been competently run and the goods have been delivered on schedule and/or there have been clear explanations of any delays. They also seem to be good at not biting off more than they can chew.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Richard White, JulesJones -- thanks! Will keep this in mind.

Not sure why I didn't see your replies earlier. Apparently I didn't subscribe to thread as I'd thought! :/