The AW Amazon Store
Absolute Write's Amazon Bookstore

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring is Here: Equinox 2017

Herder of Hamsters

Spring is Here: Equinox 2017

As I sit looking outside, there are three feet of snow in front of the patio doors.

It's in the low 30s F.

But today marks the Spring equinox.

Other than a brief sighting of Mourning doves a few days ago, I'm not seeing Spring here.

I'm missing crocus, snow drops, pussy willows . . .

What have you got ? Any signs of Spring (or Fall) where you are?
    Last edited by AW Admin; 03-20-2017 at 07:19 PM.

I'm in the Rio Grande Valley in southern Texas. The farmers have already planted their fields, and crops are growing. The thing I have noticed the most in the last couple days, though, is the birds. There are more types of birds now, and the bird song goes on from dawn to dusk. I believe that was my clue that this area is entering spring, more so than the farmers planting their fields.
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    Michelangelo

"You don't need thick skin, you just need perseverance." leifwright

New blog post 1/22/17 blog

Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    Any signs of Spring (or Fall) where you are?
    Both, actually. The weather has been so all over the place that my camellia bushes are in bloom while, right next to it, a tiny, young hawthorn is full of berries. A few of the oaks have leaves - that have since turned orange.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin silverrose77's Avatar
    We're hitting 70 and sunny today after temps in the teens last week. Awesome.

"Throw the ump out." SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    It's been springlike here for a month or more (except for a somewhat surprising snow earlier this month). All the trees, shrubs, and flowers have been blooming. Today at 9:45 AM, sunny and 57 degrees.

practical experience, FTW chompers's Avatar
    I woke up sweating, so I know the warm weather is here to stay. Finally! For the past few months the weather kept going back and forth between hot and cold, which was not normal.

Get it off! It burns! Dennis E. Taylor's Avatar
    I wore shorts outside on the weekend. Joggers have returned from Capistrano. Or wherever they go for the winter.

It's spring.
    Formerly Angry Guy.

Speak the truth, but not to punish

---
    Website/Blog: www.dennisetaylor.org

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Crocuses are poking a few inches out of the ground and a week ago I noticed the forest in the backyard had begun to develop it's spring-green coat. But out of the few intermittent days the Sun showed its face around here, only one of those days wasn't cold.

Years ago I lived in the mountains near Lake Tahoe. When I moved to Bellingham I was amazed to see Spring grow as I got further down the mountain. It's similar around here in the fall, the higher you go up the mountain, you can watch the leaves turning fall colors like a time lapse recording.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    From my midtown Manhattan apartment, I look down on a clump of three trees. There are mourning doves in it fairly consistently (even in snowfall), but I noticed yesterday that tiny red buds are popping out on the branches.

And of course, the real indicator: the tourist foot traffic in the area has picked up considerably. Spring Break is on its way.
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing!
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Here in the deep south (relative to Washington state), the '17 Equinox hit on a rare dry day. That's close enough to spring to suit me.

Coffee Coffee Work Coffee AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    My snowdrops are bloomed out, but the daffodils aren't blooming yet--nearly, though.

My pussy willow does have a nice crop of catkins on it!

We're nearly at 50 F today, which is about right for March in Pittsburgh.

We did have some unseasonable high temps in Feb, so I think we might lose some blossoms on trees, which is a shame.
    Latest Release: Daily Grind
    Coming October 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Ideas bounce around in my head Jason's Avatar
    It's nearly 80 degrees in Denver today...we missed Spring entirely
    2017 Goals
    Read 50 of these books
    Finish my first book
    My blog: http://planet-fiction.com

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

We're currently in NYC, but just before we left, I noticed our neighbor's forsythia was blooming. Our crocuses came out and got squashed by rain about a month ago.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    The Rufous hummingbirds came back over the weekend - always a sign of spring. (We still have Anna's buzzing about, too.)
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

"Throw the ump out." SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    80 degrees here!

practical experience, FTW chompers's Avatar
    Currently 87 degrees here, at almost 7pm.

There are buds on the apple tree and on the amalanchier, and it feels like the blanket on top of the duvet is no longer necessary at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Here in the deep south (relative to Washington state), the '17 Equinox hit on a rare dry day. That's close enough to spring to suit me.
    Oops! Spoke too soon. We're back to deluge conditions after a brief sunny nod to the equinox.

An elderly man with a long beard is building a huge boat in the neighborhood, collecting pairs of animals, and booking tickets.

Ideas bounce around in my head Jason's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Oops! Spoke too soon. We're back to deluge conditions after a brief sunny nod to the equinox.

An elderly man with a long beard is building a huge boat in the neighborhood, collecting pairs of animals, and booking tickets.
    Great now I got that song "The animals came in two by two, the monkey and the cobra and the kangaroo" song stuck in my head...
    2017 Goals
    Read 50 of these books
    Finish my first book
    My blog: http://planet-fiction.com

We don't have a distinct autumn in my part of the world; it's more a transition between the wet and dry seasons. But we haven't had a real wet season again this year, so

That aside, the golden emperor cicadas are singing constantly through the day, something they weren't doing in January and February. I think it's their last hurrah. Also the northern greengrocer cicadas are kicking off their chorus earlier in the evening. In January, they started at 7.15pm and now they do it at 6.40pm. (I've been keeping notes.)
    The front fell off.

Still chasing plot bunnies. GailD's Avatar
    The trees, here in Jo'burg, haven't begun changing color yet - they usually don't until well into April, but there's a chill in the morning and once the sun's set. It's that cold bite to the air that heralds the onset of autumn. We're in the summer rainfall part of SA and oh boy did we get a lot of it these past few months, along with skies that would stay overcast for weeks at a time. After a 4-year drought, we're grateful for the rain but, sheesh, a little summer heat would have been nice.

But today, there isn't a cloud in the sky and it's a lovely 26C/79F. Perfect!
    New blog post Elephant dung and the art of critique. (June 15, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
    i've adored you from a distance for years, gail.
    Struik Lifestyle (an imprint of Penguin Random House SA) Available in June 2015 www.bullyproofbook.co.za

Democracy Dies in Darkness Marlys's Avatar
    We've bounced back and forth as far as weather goes. My daffodils were out a full month early--then lots of them got smashed into the ground by the weight of a heavy snow.
    I'm a twit, too: @PearsonMarlys

practical experience, FTW
    Down here in Cape Town, we're on the verge of autumn after a very hot drought-stricken summer. This is a winter rainfall region of South Africa and the heavy winter rains generally begin just after Easter, in April. The dawns are cooler, smell of woodsmoke and some low-lying mist. Leaves turning red and yellow, but starlings and swallows show no sign yet of heading off to the northern hemisphere.

*starts making plans to visit South Africa*
    The front fell off.

figuring it all out Linnet_Crawford's Avatar
    Got a blizzard getting started over here . I also wouldn't mind a trip to South Africa right now...
    "Writing is the most fun anyone can have by themselves" - Sir Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast